1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Scopes shimming my scope

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by sillygarry, May 9, 2014.

1. sillygarry

sillygarry Posting Addict

hi guys
    i have a problem with my scope the up turret has bottomed out i can not adjust the reticle down to meet my point of aim the pellet are hitting low of the crosshairs ,so do i shim the front or rear mount to raise it :confused:

2. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Yes shim the rear of the scope with Ali foil or 35mm film ( always worth buying a roll)

Remember your scope has to be pointed where you gun hits. So if you are hitting low your scope needs point more downwards.
    Cheers Andy

3. neiled

neiled Donator

If I remember correctly if your pellets are hitting low then you need to shim the back mount (2 piece mounts)

4. Pelletpower

Pelletpower Donator

5. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Very useful!! Ta muchly!:cool::)

6. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

Shim the rear, and dont make the mistake of making the shim to long so it fills the whole of the bottom cup of the rear mount.
    As then your making a 25mm cup to i.e 24.5mm cup so the scope may never sit correctly in the cup making it easier to crimp the scope tube and have possible POI issues.
    You can make the shim as smal as 20mm in lenght and as long its central you shouldnt have any issues, then if you fit a second shim make it a bit smaller then the last.

7. JD

JD Donator

Its not the scope, the barrel is drooping down, buy a mount to compensate for this.

I do not advocate shimming a mount, to get the scope shooting in line with the barrel.

8. r10hunter

The reason many scopes require shimming is that they are designed to be fitted to firearms at a Zero range of 100 yards, the gun having a flat trajectory still at this range.

When fitted to airguns and rimfires the scope needs to tilt down more to cope with the shorter zero range and the loopy trajectory.
    You can prove it every time you swap scopes around. When you put a CF scope on a Rimmy or airrifle it nearly always needs shimming up at the rear.
    Cheers Andy

9. sillygarry

well i found some 35mm negative with some photos of me (. i was good looking then 30yrs ago)and will let you know if it works :up:

10. JD

JD Donator

Not what Ive experienced with scopes myself, shimming is not good for the scope tube, a droop compensating mount is the way to go.

Atb

JD

11. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I would expect that the rifle makers cut the dovetails to allow for the trajectory and for the barrel alignment, anything else would be simply unacceptable. I can understand that some people want to have the scope zeroed with the adjustments centralised - well actually I can't understand it but I accept it but unless you're doing very long range shooting the scope should just work when fitted to decent mounts.
    If a scope actually runs out of sdjustment and still isn't zeroed then it suggests to me that something is wrong, the most likely culprit seems to be mounts but there is always a possibility that the scope itself has suffered some form of terminal trauma.
    It doesn't take long to check that the mounts are identical and that they are correctly fitted to the dovetails, I prefer to fit the lower half of the mounts before putting the scope itself in place as this helps with getting them right. Simple checks then involve swapping mounts front to rear and then turning them so that the clamping screws are on the opposite side of the rifle to where you first had them - both sets of clamping screws should be on the same side each time.
    When doing this check the rifle dovetails and the scope mounts for any signs of damage.
    If altering the mounts doesn't help then fit another scope, which is known to be good, to the mounts leaving the lower halves in place and check to see if that would zero - you probably don't need to adjust it and if you're careful and mark where it fitted on the other rifle, if that's what you did, you should be able to put it back very close to zero.
    When you've done these checks you will know if the mounts or scope are the problem, if not then the issue lies with the rifle as that's the only thing left. So if you've just bought a new one then take it back asap, if it's used then you can carry out some checks on it depending on what type of rifle it is.
    You can check the barrel with a straight edge for bends/kinks, if it's a pcp with a barrel clamp check that the clamp isn't causing distortion although that is much more likely to affect windage.
    Set the rifle up in a workmate or similar and level it along the scope mounts and then check to see if the barrel is also level.
    I would also look to trying another set of mounts or a scope and mounts from another rifle that is working properly. The amount of shimming required to get a scope centralised if it has run out of adjustment is a lot, somewhere about 15/20 thou for each complete turn of the adjusting screw and if you need 1.5/2.0 turns then the chances of causing damage to the scope when clamping it in place are extremely high. If nothing else can be done then a set of adjustable mounts is probably the way to go as they are usually self aligning and won't damage the scope tube.

12. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

Allthough as a novice I don't know what I'm doing for sure, I did find my little shifting zero problems went away after optically centering my scopes and fitting adjustable mounts to keep the scope optically centered when zeroed on the rifle. It does not take long in any case and leaves full clicks for future intermediate range changes, I found various threads which describe a scope being optically better when the errector is centered and also lets the errector springs sit in mid compression rather than nearly fully compressed or extended.

13. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

I shimmed the rear mount on my Hatsan Mod 60S due to a minor bit of barrel droop. Was sweet as a nut after that. I used plastic from 2 litre fizzy drinks bottle.

14. r10hunter

Shimming your scope will not cause any harm unless you use a huge amount of shim or do the Allen bolts up crazy tight.
    I shim nearly every scope I own and haven't broken one yet.

Scope manufactures often recommend shimming a scope to keep the scope near its optical centre. Many scopes will just not adjust very well or lose zero once they get away from optical centre. Many scopes are just not designed to point that low reliably.
    An 11.5 ftlb .22 pellet can drop 5 inches by your 30 yard zero.

How hawk say to fit a scope:

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/user/chairgun/help/scopeshims.htm
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  15. sillygarry

well i have shimmed it with 1 piece of film negative and now it shoots spot on and the turret are set midway thanks for all the advice:up:

16. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

A single piece of film negative is about 0.005" and at a range of 30 yards should move the point of impact about 1" so something else must have changed to get from running out of adjustment before getting zeroed to being zeroed with the turret set near the centre.
    It's good news that you've got it sorted.

17. JD

JD Donator

sounds to me like abit of barrel bending took place ?

18. r10hunter

How much a shim moves the point of impact depends on how far apart the mounts are. That's why in full bore shooting we use a set of shim tables or an app that take into account how far apart the sight bases are and tells us what thickness of shim to use to enable the scope to cope with long range while keeping it reasonably optically centred so that one click is one click.

The negative will have brought the scope near to is optical centre where a cheaper scope will adjust more accurately.
    Cheers Andy

19. sillygarry

JD what does barrel bending mean ?

20. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

There's a useful tool in Chairgun which does this although to be fair the maths is simple enough. The estimate I made is for scope rings 4" apart but if they are closer then less shimming is required. Going on the basis that even on max adjustment the poa was still above the poi it would have needed to be moved slightly more than half the total adjustment range to get zeroed which is a fair bit.