1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Sheridan Cowboy

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by gingernut, May 24, 2020.

1. gingernut

gingernut Busy Member

IMG_0759.JPG Ive had a brace of these since they came out.
    I think they need a bit of wearing in and I preferred the Umarex SA to shoot

Very pellet fussy up to and including not firing some!

But after a 30 min session yesterday I'm a fan

They seem well built,you can remove the cylinder and if you just ignore the pellet option and shoot BBs they perform well.

RED DOG, oedbachgen, talent and 4 others like this.
  2. CaptDAR

CaptDAR Posting Addict

Nice and on my list.

3. Headhunter

Headhunter Is fed up with waiting for a Chiappa Rhino

I prefer the Sheridan (aka the Remington 1875) over the Colt SAA, beautifully made, very accurate and I love the sound of the ratchety hammer when you cock it. Mine has never been pellet fussy ! But then again I mostly fire RWS MK 4.49mm 7grn pellets through mine, I've tried quite a few types of pellet through it, it loves the Skenco PolyRhino 3.4grn super lightweight pellets, tight groups and very accurate, in fact it's the only gun I've got that really shots well using them.
    The only thing that I would change (and I am going to change them this week) is the grips, I personally hate those awful white plastic grips, mine are going to get a coat of Krylon matt black (I can thoroughly recommend that product for covering plastic, bonds superbly).

TalinMoracius and CaptDAR like this.
  4. gingernut

gingernut Busy Member

I forgot the cocking.
    Nice ringing noise.

I will find some light 4.50 or less pellets im sure thats the answer.

Look forward to seeing the black grips.

Headhunter likes this.
  5. Victor Robert Allaway

Victor Robert Allaway Busy Member

Funny how such a simple thing like puffing a lump of metal down a tube works differently from one gun to another...

Mine performed well from first use. I thought the pellets were more accurate than the BBs, but then I was using copper coated lead AccuBBs. I'm not sure what to make of them, but of course they are heavier than the normal steel ones. So far I've tried MKs, AADF and QYS as these are what I had available. All seemed to perform around the same and with little change in POI despite the range in weight. Not only did it behave impeccably, but when I thought it best not to risk another set of shells in case the CO2 ran out, it turned out there was quite a bit left.

I too find the grips the least pleasing aspect of the gun. I bought the gun as I used to have a Pietta C&B 1858 replica, which I could shoot effectively despite my small hands. Of course that gun had wood grips and didn't slip like these plastic grips - like a bar of wet soap. I would try the shadowfax stippled, resin grips, but he is not trading for some months yet. If I can fight my way through the unkempt garden there is some mahogany out there in the shed that I rescued from a Guy Fawkes bonfire pile at the sailing club. Never seem to find any teak, though.

Anyone got experience of making wooden grips?

Rob.

6. Wild Bill

Wild Bill co2 Firearm Enthusiast & FX Wildcat owner.

If you are going to get one DAR, get the one from SWS. More desirable due to it not saying Sheridan Cowboy on it. :thumb::)

cr00224_co2_revolver_crosman_remington_1875-1.jpg

oedbachgen, PBaz Barrett and RED DOG like this.
  7. CaptDAR

CaptDAR Posting Addict

Thanks for heads up.

8. flatrajectory

flatrajectory Posting Addict

You can age your grips to look like old ivory, like I did on my Colt SAA..... They are actually more yellow than in the photo ….
    IMG_20200524_172619.jpg IMG_20200524_172603.jpg

CaptDAR, oedbachgen, garryt and 3 others like this.
  9. Headhunter

I like what you've done there, both to the gun and the box, but in truth I'm not keen on ivory grips either, I'd never have bought a revolver with ivory grips, much prefer the wood or rubber grips. I really hate the mother of pearl ones too, just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Yeah I'll post some piccies when done buddy, btw....how come you changed your avatar ? I really loved seeing those two Pythons when you posted on the threads :) Gonna miss them....:(

10. Wild Bill

I like my Remington. And I like my grips that I have aged. They are more yellow in real life.

P1030024.JPG

And my Colt SAA grips too.

P1030107.JPG

oedbachgen and RED DOG like this.
  11. gingernut

gingernut Busy Member

Odd that
    My theory is that Remington has a deal with SMK in the UK so that Crosman had to use Sheridan here.

12. gingernut

gingernut Busy Member

Does that go BANG Pete?

13. Wild Bill

That's why I suggested he get one from SWS. ;):facepalm::D

14. RED DOG

RED DOG Engaging Member

They look great, any pics of them on the pistol?

15. flatrajectory

flatrajectory Posting Addict

I wish..... I am no longer deemed to be trusted with the real stuff since the tragedy in Dunblane.
    It is odd that in both Dunblane and Hungerford , the local constabulary had more to answer for than us legitimate shooters and yet we were punished for their shortcomings.
    Oooops, just realised that's politics and is frowned upon.

16. Headhunter

That ain't a political statement, that's the truth .......:up:

17. Wild Bill

P1030124.JPG

18. RED DOG

RED DOG Engaging Member

That's very convincing, is it paint or stain of some kind, almost all of the replicas look so much more authentic when suitably "aged", I'm never very confident when I think I might try something similar, fearing I'll ruin the thing, any hints or tips, a "tutorial" by any chance.:thumb:

19. Wild Bill

A mixture of leather dye, tea bags and following a guide on the tube. Trial and error really.

talent, oedbachgen and RED DOG like this.
  20. RED DOG

RED DOG Engaging Member

cheers, I will give that a go,,, well that is when I get an ivory gripped six shooter,, the list grows with every passing day,;)

Wild Bill likes this.