1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Shell storage question

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by brettguise, May 12, 2012.

1. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

Awaiting my interview tuesday and the cabinet is all secured. However I have been looking and have received different opinions on storing cartridges. I purchased a cabinet with a top lock box thinking that I could store cartridges in there to keep everything safe. Ive since read that it has to be stored seperately and also read that thats only a guideline. Can I legally store them in there? Should I tell the officer I plan to store them in there or will that stop the cert being granted? Also if I go for FAC is that a lot stricter and you have no chance of storing them in the same cabinet? Bit of advise please as I don't really want a seperate safe when ive paid an extra £50 or something for the top lockbox and I don't have room for a safe the gun cabinet takes up enough ha.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  2. calum10203

calum10203 Junior Member

If the lock box has a separate key I'm pretty sure you can store ammunition in there as it is safe and kept from the guns using a different key (or does it use the same key? in which case I'm not sure) I think I've seen somewhere that people use the lock box to store rifle bolts and ammunition so storing cartridges in there should be fine as they're separate from the guns and locked securely (Not that cartridges have to be) Don't rely on my advice though as other people on here know more than me but I'm pretty sure that's right. Also how long did it take you to get your interview from posting your application? I posted mine this week and am now just playing the waiting game :)

3. Lee Wright

Lee Wright Engaging Member

Not really practical as you'll probably be holding more than will fit in there. Store them in the loft or in a cupboard in another room that isn't open to visitors and you'll be sound.

4. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

3 weeks for my interview.

As for the space yes it wont hold all the shells but holding a few will help the rest ill have to find somewhere to put them like you say probably the loft or something out the way I suppose.

5. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

shotguns, carts are stuffed under the bed, you dont need these under lock and key, plus you wouldent get many in a fac ammo safe

fac, store ammo in locked ammo safe above rifles

6. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

I have a wooden cupboard i have put lots of shelves in. One type of cartridge to a shelf. (keeps them tidy and stops them getting mixed up) I have a padlock on mine.
    Something like the above would look good if the Feo were to ask but there is no need.
    Keep your old boxes when you fill your cartridge bag, you can then empty the bag back out in to the boxes and put another type of cartridge in the bag. Cheers Andy