1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Shed of the week: Mk1 Air Arms S200

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by cloverleaf, Jul 16, 2015.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Please bear in mind that I've just got back from the pub...

In summary, I bought this (not in the pub) - it's a bit of a heap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's an early S200 Mk1, that's certainly seen better days. The serial is pretty low..

[​IMG]

A previous owner has roughly sanded and poorly refinished the stock - unfortunately the edges of the original square-ish section of the fore-end have seen some abuse:

[​IMG]

The rifle has the original (and now apparently sadly obsolete) threaded inlet valve and corresponding ally filler cap (much better than the later plastic items, until the valve needs replacing):

[​IMG]

Sling swivel studs don't look great, although at least are pretty much in the right place:

[​IMG]

The trigger appears to have been lubricated using a terrier :confused:

[​IMG]

Usual scratches on the underside of the mod, courtesy of the fill adaptor. Unlike later models the muzzle is turned down to 10mm OD to accommodate the mod. Which is a bit crap.

[​IMG]

More scratches on the underside of the barrel:

[​IMG]

A few worn edges and a bit more fur on the breech block:

[​IMG]

Finally some lovely filth on the (alloy) bolt handle:

[​IMG]

To add to these delights the gun was leaking when I got it (failed bonded seal on the inlet valve) and is doing all of 8.5ftlb.

When I took the pics I'd already succumbed to OCD and cleaned the exterior of the barrel and cylinder. I suspect ultimately the whole gun will be reduced to nowt, cleaned, lubed and reassembled. Not sure what to do with it yet; IMO it's too far gone as a standard resto project, it could make a good cheapo knock-around gun, the stock could be refinished to make it more presentable as a non-original keeper, it could make a good basis for a pistol or it could just be moved on to someone with more enthusiasm..

Time will tell :p

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    rmcn82 likes this.
  2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

The first thing I do getting home from the pub,

is raid the fridge:D

Joel47 likes this.
  3. M5AFX

M5AFX Donator

Is it .177 or .22 ? and if those are cobwebs on it ..i guess its not been used for a while :p

nice pics btw i couldnt take that good a pic before the pub

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  4. Brooksy789

Brooksy789 Donator

Thats deffo a shed alright! Them cobwebs!

Pluck up the courage pal and do the thing a favour!

5. cloverleaf

Yup - just hammered some toast :D

Happily it's .177! Not cobwebs, dog hair I'm afraid - which makes cleaning it extra-fun for those of us who are allergic to everything..

Thanks - to be fair I took the photos this morning; currently I can barely operate the toaster :p

Kill it with fire?

Under all the sh*te it does look mechanically sound.. tempted to re-profile and re-finish the stock; as always there are more projects than time and enthusiasm, though..

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  6. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

That's ace; I love it (and swore that I don't need another PCP).

7. meerkat1

meerkat1 Keyboard Hero

be good for a nipper wouldn`t have to worry about them knocking about a decent one :)

8. danban

danban Posting Addict

Hi Pm sent

9. BiggaJ

BiggaJ Donator

I'm with you Cloverleaf, dog hair, well I'm allergic to any animal hair so I would be popping the antihistamine long before I touched it.

Under the grunge it looks a tasty rifle, as you say it has a low serial number and if it were me on this basis I would be looking to bring it back to its former glory. It depends on how it looks internally but what you have shown so far looks purely cosmetic.

I hope you renovate it.

10. Scott

Scott Moderated user

A good leathering with a jet wash wouldn't go wrong to remove rover and whatever biological offerings of joy are over the bolt

11. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Can't get over how long that barrel is :eek: you could go fishing.

Be interesting to see what it looks like when you've finished :)

12. oedbachgen

oedbachgen Top Poster

Looks like a great restoration job

13. Regular_shot

Regular_shot Donator

I really like that, well worth bringing back to its former glory. There is something I really like about the older stocked S200. :)

14. chevin

chevin Keyboard Hero

Yep a bit of spit and polish and some youngster would be made up.

15. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

why do i never get to find anything like that :( was offered one old rifle, but the guy pulled out

16. 177

177 Donator

I've always like the original S200 - it's so pointable with the flexibility of after-market multishot.

I will keep an eye on the sales section in the event you decide to move it on - it would make a great working gun project, assuming it can be made working ;)

17. Brooksy789

Brooksy789 Donator

You could do this but i think you can do this rifle justice and bring it back to its former glory! The low serial number makes it a little more appealing :)

18. audi swift

audi swift Man up & pull the bloody trigger.... HFT 101.

Live in Stoke On Trent. But i visit Bromsgrove.
    looks like a spider nest is in it,,,,, best sell it cheapish too me for my step kids :D.

dog hair I can clean off no issues but wtf is that nasty looking stain\s on the bolt handle !
    has one of the past owners used it for a poopascoopa sort of thingy ha-ha.......

I would clean & fix it up to working standard & use it in the field mate.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  19. cloverleaf

Thanks guys - I love the fact that these old, neglected rifles can generate a thread as long as the latest grand's worth of "supergun" :)

A bit of an update. Yesterday the back end of the gun was stripped and cleaned - the butt was removed, the striker taken out (the marker paint on the back was unbroken) and the action cleaned of hair and other filth.

The breech O-ring looked a bit iffy while the cylinder O-ring was ruined; so these were both replaced. Excess lube was removed from the striker and it was refitted with the big screw that shall be named would in 1/2 turn from binding when cocked. With the small screw that shall not be named wound 7/8 turns out from closed the gun was doing ballpark 11.7ftlb with DS Heavies at 150 bar. The stripping brought no nasty surprises other than a bit of wear through the finish on the RHS of the breech block where the stock has evidently been loose in the past and has rubbed the block.

I still think the gun could do with a bit more setting up (usually I find a good one will like a fill of 190 bar; this one prefers somewhere nearer 175 I'd guess) but this quick and dirty setup has at least got the rifle in a fit state to be tested.

I did learn a few more things about the gun (which are presumably indicitive of all Mk1s):

- The butt is held on with a long bolt through the grip rather than the captive studding and nut on the later guns. IMO this would be a godsent on the full-stocked Mk3s which can be a right bitch to get the stock off..

- The striker spring preload adjustor seems to have a more coarse thread than later models (from memory).

Up the club a bit later and fitted with an Opti-mate 6-24x42, the first 5 AA Express' (through the shamefully still un-cleaned barrel) gave a group of around 6mm c-c at 35yd. More realistically the next 10-shot group grew to around 9mm c-c but with a flier bringing it out to around 13mm,an open tin of Fields I acquired a while ago (that appear to have been lubed with furniture polish, rightly or wrongly) printed one ragged 10-shot hole of around 12.5mm c-c. All of these could just about be covered with a 5p; so no complaints there then!

On the down side the loading bolt handle jumps a little when the gun is fired (not an unknown problem on the S200) and there's corresponding wear on the corner of the slot for the loading bolt dog in the action block. There's also a slight bit of blowby at the port restrictor screw, however this doesn't affect output and could be fixed with a dab of threadlock or sealing compound, or the addition of a locking screw.

In keeping with other S200s I've owned, it's deceptively quiet and feels very "dead" on firing - no doubt due to it's tiny lightweight striker (it weighs around 40% of that of an S400). The trigger ain't great; but unless they've been worked on they never are.

So, there we go. It's a lot cleaner than it was and actually functions properly now. Given my lack of time and glut of other things that demand attention, I'm drifting closer to the idea of moving this on in the hope that it's more likely to get the TLC and use it deserves in the hands of someone more committed.. A few members have shown an interest, so if I do decide to sell I'll PM them all in the order they contacted me :)

20. cloverleaf

A few more pics:

look - no fur!

[​IMG]

Wear in the loading bolt dog channel (please excuse the filth in the loading port - must have missed that bit!):

[​IMG]

Nice clean loading bolt:

[​IMG]

I put a few more rounds through the gun last night and I'm still really impressed by how refined the firing cycle is - there's very little movement, noise or fuss. Time permitting I might have a go at the trigger in the week.. :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    rmcn82 likes this.