1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

sharpening stone

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Gray 83, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Gray 83

Gray 83 Donator

Could anybody recommend a good sharpening stone please.

2. milek

milek Honorary Member

What's your budget Gray and are we talking knives?

3. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

4. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I've always used the diamond grid sharpening plates for turning tools and knives,can use oil or water on them

5. Gray 83

Gray 83 Donator

I haven't really got a budget in mind, yeah sharpening knives mick and I will be sharpening a couple of axes aswell.

6. milek

milek Honorary Member

The lansky kit that jedclampit has is effective on knives but not sure about axes.

7. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

Best way to sharpen an axe is with an old mousemat and some fine wet&dry.

8. oaktree

oaktree Member

9. Gray 83

Gray 83 Donator

Thanks for the replies chaps

10. Jed Clampit

Jed Clampit Posting Addict

11. Geordie

Geordie Donator

I've got a Lansky too, great for most knives, but not too good for machetes or swords. Or axes for that matter!:up::up::up:

12. Gray 83

Gray 83 Donator

I haven't seen anything but praise for the lanksy kit so it looks like that's the one to go for

13. DougR

DougR Busy Member

14. 177

177 Donator

What sort of knives are you sharpening and what kind of work are you sharpening for ?

I ask for two reasons:

1. you should always get the biggest (longest and/or widest) stone you can

2. depending on the work you intend doing, you will need to work the edge and finish it differently

I argued the case for a D2 knife a while ago with someone. He was banging on about cutting rope and some of the cutting tests he had read about. I was saying it could cut rope like a champ and outperform a lot of steels and he disagreed. He showed me one of his knives with a beautifully polished edge. I showed him one of mine, set up on a 600 grit stone and stropped.

Mine ran circles around his for general work, especially gutting, skinning and butchery - his were better for fine carving.

He had more sharpening stones, steels and other whatnots than enough but the one thing he didn't have was knowledge of how to apply them to get an appropriate result for the work he was putting his knives to.

I have a couple of commercial sharpening systems but more often than not I use a simple two sided King waterstone to set the edge and then an old 2" wide leather belt stuck down onto a piece of 2x4 pine and loaded with Solvol Autosol.

Set the edge up on 600 grit, strop half a dozen times each side.

It will pop hairs off your arm, slice fine paper and is still aggressive enough to make very short work of butchery, rope and other stuff.

A lot of sharpening guides encourage you to go through far too many labour intensive stages IMHO

Also be advised that a lot of diamond stones are very easy to lift the particles off.

For ease of sharpening a longer stone is infinitely more efficient and safer to use.

Convex blades take a bit of practice to sharpen well on flat stones but Scandi ground knives or anything with a secondary bevel is a piece of cake.

If you don't want to throw a lot of money at it you'd be hard pressed to better a 600 grit waterstone and a strop.

Strop often, only go back to the stone when you ding the edge out. If you work the knife until you need to use the stone you waited far too long and went past the stage where a strop could have saved you the trouble.

Sorry if this is teaching you how to suck eggs :)

15. Gray 83

Gray 83 Donator

It will be mainly two knives being sharpened a lock knife which will be used for general work use cutting rope,banding etc. The other is a fixed blade knife which will be used for gutting,skinning etc.

16. dengiebob

dengiebob Active Member

hmmmm not sure guys i have done a fare bit of blacksmithing i have my own forge in my workshop and have made a few hunting/skining knives i own about half a dozen natural stones these have been collected from car boot sales or off the bay some i paid a fiver for when the stall holder did not know what he had!!. but a good stone on the bay you could pay up to fifty quid or more depending on the grade and quality of the stone my finishing stone is a Victorian cut throat razor stone which i would not swap even for a chunk of gold the same size! avoid anything man made thats if you really want a sharp knife its a skill in using a stone but once you have got the hang of it,it then becomes easy. And if your choosing a new blade try and avoid cheap stainless steel blades yes the might look nice but they never hold there edge i would go for a Sheffield steel blade yes they go rusty if left wet but they will hold there edge ten times longer than a stainless item. in my pocket when i go hunting is a ww2 british army jack knife best blade i have ever owned its within uk law and is all you need in a blade you can still buy them new still packed in the ww2 grease for about fifteen quid little black folding knife with a small spike and a tin opener what more do you need????????????

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  17. 177

177 Donator

If that's what you're doing a simple solution is all that is needed.

I have Lansky and Spyderco sharpening systems, among others, but I keep using the stone/strop method because it's so effective.

The ceramic sharpeners are a super-quick way of bringing the edge up but if you need to set the edge to begin with you really need a 600 or even a 400 grit stone.

If you go with a diamond stone trat it gently - a lot of people bear down on the blade as they pass it over a diamond stone and end up ruining it when they lift the particles out from the adhesive or base...

I use my knives a lot and they rarely see a stone once the edge has been established. A strop has to be one of the most underrated and least understood method of keeping an edge fettled.

18. 177

177 Donator

Modern stainless steels are outstanding - the trouble with them is they get lumped in with the "stainless is crap" mentality which mainly originates from the widespread use of badly heat treated poor knife stainless like 440A and 440B. Anything that says 440 or Toledo stainless or similar is marketing speak for crappy steel, usually poorly heat treated. If it was good they would give it its proper name.

Put a knife made from well heat treated ATS34, 154CM, CPM154CM, 12C27, BG42, S30V or similar in my hands and I'm a very happy bunny.

I've said this before elsewhere but one of the biggest problems with stainless knives is that most people don't know how to sharpen them properly. The trouble with some stainless is that it doesn't actually feel sharp when, in fact, it is.

12C27 is a prime example - it never feels particularly sharp and it's always a surprise when it pops hair off your arm or slices thin paper curls because it just doesn't seem to have the bite of certain other steels when doing the old 'thumb test'.

You could sharpen a 12C27 stainless, a D2 and an O1 carbon knife on exactly the same Spyderco or Lansky sharpening system and the 12C27 knife won't feel anywhere near as sharp as the other two, but it will slice like a demon in use.

Stainless suffers from a 40+ year historical backlog of crappy 440 knives coupled with many owners inability to sharpen it.

The fact of the matter is that many of today's stainless steels can out-slice some of the traditional carbon/tool steels.

It took Skoda a long time to shake off a bad reputation - it's about time good stainless knives were judged on their own merits and not the cheap crap we were all being sold for decades.

Personally I never rated the army jack knife - the marlin spike ruins a secure grip on the knife and makes it uncomfortable for long periods of use and, in my experience, they can be a bit hit or miss on whether they offer good or very poor edge retention. Maybe I've just had some bad examples. I'd take an Opinel over one any day.

19. dengiebob

dengiebob Active Member

i will agree with you on that. there are fine stainless blades out there if i can work out how to get a picture on here (im not good with tech!!) i will take some pictures of my first go at a blade which started life as a very old wood chisel which was topped off with a deer antler handle with a disk of walrus tusk all done on the anvil with charcoal as fuel hardened and tempered

20. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Cheers for the link, going near aldi today so will pick one up, not a fan of those ceramic v sharpener type ones that I keep getting for free etc...