1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

SGC renewal - Dr's charge

Discussion in 'Shotguns (SGC)' started by peasemold, Feb 14, 2018.

1. peasemold

peasemold Donator

I'd like to know if anyone else gets charged by their GP to provide a report for the police when renewal time comes round.
    My GP's surgery wants £18 for it, and as I can't see that it'll involve much more than printing out stuff from my records I think that's a bit steep.
    Anyone else get charged?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  2. Sky

Sky Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

3. buffy vampire slayer

buffy vampire slayer Post Whore

don`t pay.
    if the old bill don`t hear anything from the docs within a month they assume there is no problem

4. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

Really?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

5. peasemold

peasemold Donator

Thanks for the replies, gents. I'm particularly taken with the BASC response - has anyone followed their advice?

6. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

Just read the basc link and saw this,

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

7. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

It depends where you live. Some counties like mine don’t renew or grant unless they receive the doctors report.
    (This may just be Lincolnshire at the moment but I would check the latest situation if renewing or applying whatever force.)

Most forces as said wait a period of time assuming if there was something to report a doctor would contact them paid or not.

We have little choice but to pay or not get your certificate.
    Other areas are luckier.
    Hopefully BASC make some headway with getting a proper solution and removing the post code lottery.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    lone wolf likes this.
  8. peasemold

peasemold Donator

Out of interest I emailed my local clay ground to see what they knew.
    The response was rather resigned, saying that BASC were looking into it again, but also commenting that £18 was considerably less than the £50 being charged in other parts of the country . . . .

9. Patrick

Patrick Donator

This purely my personal take on the matter and others will disagree no doubt.Doctors are there to look after you health and provide you with health care under the NHS. Providing information to assist in the applying for and obtaining a FAC/SGC doesn't come under looking after your health or providing you with health care so I suppose they can if they so wish make a charge for it or decline to do it or offer any information.
    I myself considering its a relatively small amount i.e £18 and a one off then i'd pay it especially if it will speed the process up a bit which in many counties is painfully slow.

10. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Wouldn't bother and, as already said, if they don't hear back from the GP the assumption is that there are no issues to report. However, I do fear that there will soon be a country wide move like in Lincolnshire that will mean you will have no option but to pay if you want your SGC :mad:

11. Readie

Readie Proud Member

I seem to remember it was on Countryfile, and the Chief of Police, probably Lincoln (not sure if it was him on there ) but said that no licence would be issued without doctors report.

I feel for the overstretched Doctors, if they do the report in the evening in their own time, then I would pay £18 IF THEY RECIEVD IT, and not the surgery.

12. Sky

I've never had to pay a doctor to sign a Declaration of Fitness for my Pilot's Licence.

It's not as if local surgeries are going to be overrun with applicants - I bet most don't see twenty in a year. :rolleyes:

13. Douglas Soal

Douglas Soal Donator

Asked my GP last week as I was seeing him for something else, £40 as it’s not a national health matter.

14. buffy vampire slayer

buffy vampire slayer Post Whore

and the more people that cave in and pay it,the more they can charge when it becomes compulsory.
    see if it's 18 quid then old bean!
    if the cops want access to your medical records YOU HAVE TO BY LAW give them your doctors details and contact number and give consent for them to access them.
    they then want you to do the leg work for them.

Sky and Jesterdog like this.
  15. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

I don’t know if this has come up yet in an area where returning of the form is compulsory.

But what happens if a doctor is anti gun and refuses to return any forms. Saying no issue.
    Does that mean shooters must change GP. There is a limited choice of surgeries for many people.

16. darklord

darklord Keyboard Hero

Mine doesn’t now as it’s electronic now, and that was for a renewal and FAC grant. So it varies if the GP is up with technology and whether they have to write the report or just reply by email.

17. Sky

BASC are still saying this: “Our advice on medical fees remains. Those applying for and renewing shotgun or firearm certificates should, in accordance with the agreement between medical representatives and the government, not pay any fee demanded by their GP for responding to the initial police medical letter.”

Full article here: https://basc.org.uk/blog/press-rele...ags-lincolnshire-firearms-application-advice/

18. rosie 1

rosie 1 Engaging Member

19. rosie 1

rosie 1 Engaging Member

I would like to add my two penuth on this regarging doctors report.I am a SGL holder and have moved here from Coventry where i had a regular GP who new my history over many years.When i moved to my present address in lincolshire i never ever manage to see the same GP mpre than once and sometimes its a practioner who who dosent even know me and when i moved address i was told that my records of 40 odd years had got lost during my movr so how dose the Gp or the like know my past. I have been lucky and still have my SGC .when i go to see my GP (or similar)now i cant even understand him (her) because he or she cant speak very good english.This thread is not intended to have a dig at my health carers but this is just my experience so how can a M Practitioner give a report in my case as im sure this applies to others as well when they dont even know you.I rest my case.

metalman and r10hunter like this.
  20. Sky

We have the same problem - my last ten visits to the doctor's I've seen nine different locums. All completely clueless and they don't give a toss about anything because they'll be gone in a couple of weeks. :mad: :frusty: