1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

SGC help

Discussion in 'Shotguns (SGC)' started by Danstar33, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Danstar33

Danstar33 Junior Member

Hey guys,

I'm at a local clay club and have been for a few weeks now. I'm looking into getting my SGC to make the ammunition side of things cheaper. However, being 16 years old mom and dad don't want a shotty in the house.... Nor will they allow a cabinet fixed to the wall (even if it only houses air rifles).

now, it is with in the law to own a shotgun and ammunition under 18 years of age, but not to buy. The girlfriends dad has a FAC and SGC for his farmland. I was wandering if I could have my license approved, but keep everything at their house and in their gun safe? ( so my storage is actually at their house and not mine)

This is would mean just popping over to collect my own cartridges before shooting on a Sunday morning.

does anyone know the ins and outs of this a and can help me out?

al the best,
    dan.

2. Relgubmot

Relgubmot Donator

Yes that would be fine, there is a section on the application to complete if the shotgun will be kept elsewhere.

3. retromlc

retromlc Well-Known Member

mmm i think you will hit a snag as if he has FAC weapons in the same cabinet you probably won't be allowed keys to the safe, so you would need to wait for him to give them to you,plus at 16 if,and it probably won't last with your girlfriend then you will find yourself in a differcult spot if he tells you to come take your shottie away,find someone else with no FAC would be better

4. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

You will find that as mentioned above although it would be legal for you to store your gun there as long as you did not have the safe key and the paper work was filled in correctly. Many feo's tend to take a very dim view of storing your gun in someone else's house.

Feo's know from their years of experience that these arrangements often go wrong.

You take your gun out shooting and then can't return it as the owner of the house is out. You take it home and hide it.

The house owner is out so he illegally leaves you keys.

You have a falling out with the owner of the house and the feo has to go and collect your gun.

You need to start shooting early or finish late so the gun gets put under the bed over night instead of taken to or from someone else's house at an unsociable hour.

Feo's have had to sort out these problems many times.

Would it not be better for your parents to fit a small cabinet in their house ( you can get very small broken down gun cabinets) rather than have to drive you to someone else's house every time you go out shooting??
    The feo will probably eventually allow it ( after a bit of moaning) but fitting your own cabinet would save you and your girlfriends dad a lot of hassle in the long run. Something small like this could be hidden in a cupboard or wardrobe. http://bit.ly/LSAkBY
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  5. Danstar33

Danstar33 Junior Member

Hey guys thanks for all the help and support. Just to add some extra info I don't want to have a gun yet. That will be for my own house sometime in the future ( under my rules ) haha! All I would want to do is store ammunition there. Just to make clay pigeon shooting cheaper in the long run. At my local bringing your own cartridges slices the price by 50% atleast so it's a worthwhile thing to do. Me and the girlfriend have been together for two years now, but fingers crossed. I know what you guys think ;D but honestly excuse me for being a soppy git, were fine together. Does this change anything?

6. r10hunter

You can keep ammo at home with no cabinet. It makes sense to lock it in a wooden box or something but it's not required. You can keep it on top of the telly if you want. You do not need a sgc to own shotgun cartridges just to buy them.
    Cheers Andy

7. Danstar33

Danstar33 Junior Member

so does this mean I can get my SGC, explain to the firearms officer that I have no intention to buy a shotgun and just be given ammunition to use at the clay club? No bothering to go to the in laws house? Or will I still have to have the cabinet at their house Checked?

thanks for the help mate!

8. r10hunter

Having your sgc will make no difference to you as you have to be over 18 to buy shotgun shells anyway. (Assuming you only shoot at a section 11 clay ground)
    Someone else can buy shells for you and you can store them at home and take them with you when you shoot.

The only need for you to have sgc would to be to shoot somewhere that does not hold a section 11 exemption. A one off clay shoot on farm land etc rather than a proper clay ground, or for vermin shooting if not in the presence of the occupier.

You need to have storage before you can be granted sgc you can't say I'm not going to buy a gun.
    Cheers Andy

9. Danstar33

Danstar33 Junior Member

thanks again Andy, so I can be given shells to shoot from the Inlaws without a SGC? Or am I misunderstanding?

10. r10hunter

Correct.
    You can also store the at home should you wish.
    Cheers Andt

11. Danstar33

Danstar33 Junior Member

Absolutely bloody brilliant. I want to hug you (no homo) ;D that's literally the best news I have been given in about a month. Thanks so much for all your guys help, especially Andy. Hats off to you guys for helping me out. Really appreciate it!

12. Verminhunterdan

Verminhunterdan Banned

If he has a sgc and fac. He should have 2 cabinets. One for the fac one for the sgc. And then a further ammo safe for the fac. So having a key to the sgc safe is fine.

13. Danstar33

Danstar33 Junior Member

He does have two safes, one for FAC and one for SGC. However all has been sorted now! :)

14. r10hunter

There is no need to have separate cabinets for fac and sgc weapons. Most people buy one large cabinet with a built in locking ammo box for their section 1 / section 5 (fac) ammo and then keep all their shotguns and rifles in one place.
    Having the keys to someone else's cabinet also opens up a bit of a legal problem as you then have constant access to their shotguns and they yours ( only 72 hours loan is allowed without transferring the gun on to your certificate.)
    Different forces and feo's view this in different ways but for safety's sake it would be better to enter all the guns on both sgc's just incase a incident were to happen (a proper pain)
    Not that it matters now as the op is sorted anyway.

Cheers Andy