1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Setting Up a Hide Along a Hedgeline

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by DaveC_24, Apr 29, 2012.

1. DaveC_24

DaveC_24 Busy Member

Hi all,

I've been shooting at Bodmin Airfield (just in case any of you want to see what I mean using Google Earth, etc.) and trying to get some rabbits. There is very little cover, not even long grass as the site is of course an active airfield. I'm thinking I might have more luck with hide shooting, but I've not tried that before and was wondering what you think to my ideas.

The warrens are all around the airfield in the hedges that surround the place, but they feed particularly along the northern perimeter as the prevailing wind is north-westerly. I was thinking of setting up a bit of camo net with something to support it against a hedgerow, so that I can lie under it and wait for them. It's about the only piece of cover I can try and blend a hide into, but wherever I situate it along the hedge, there will be warrens nearby and so some of them might be too close for the rabbits to come out since they'd know I'm there. Would this stop them from coming out a little way further down the hedge? Have any of you tried making a hide so that it backs onto rather than forms part of a hedge?

The alternative would be to set up a free-standing hide out in the open 40 yards or so away from the hedge, though of course there wouldn't be any terrain feature behind to blend into so I guess we'd be more obvious. Do rabbits normally notice any new piece of terrain like that, even if it's not obviously occupied by someone?

Thanks for your help! :)

2. andy46

andy46 Donator

i would try and set one up as close to the hedge as i could,rabbits will notice any new things,but you could leave it for a few days for them to get use to it,failing that you could just get there early and lay in wait,just put some netting over yourself to blend in a bit.

3. adymorris

adymorris Keyboard Hero

To be honest if you are shooting on an active airfield and you have the option to, i'd drive up to shooting range of the warrens, put you gun on the wing mirror and wait for them coming out, it's not like man made machinery is a new thing to them and it gives you cover ( and comfort)

4. DaveC_24

DaveC_24 Busy Member

Thanks guys! I've thought about shooting from the car, that's a possibility as I'm pretty sure you can get a vehicle up onto the grass from the road, but it's a question of whether they'd let me - I'll have to ask! Would I need to black out windows etc. so I'm not silouhetted while sitting in the car?

Regarding camo netting, what sort is best for this kind of thing? It looks like you can get the nylon type that's more solid, but also the type that is a net like a football net with patches of camouflage material added. I guess with either, I can add bits of local foliage to help it blend in more.

5. adymorris

adymorris Keyboard Hero

Just don't move about too much

you could drape a large net over your car and half the window but personally i'd say it won't make that much difference unless they are skittish.

let me give you an example, a mate of mine made a pigeon hide out of bright orange bunting - the type that you see around holes in the road, his point was to demonstrate movement, not concealment, he was the top shot of the day

6. DaveC_24

DaveC_24 Busy Member

So basically a lack of movement is more important than blending in with the surroundings? I guess that makes sense in that the eye (ours and animals') is drawn to movement. Do wing mirrors/car doors make a suitable rest for a spring rifle, or would I have to support it on my hand or something soft?

7. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

I'll 2nd the car option, ask about this first it could save you time and effort, you wont need to black out the windows either, if its an active airfield, the rabbits will be used to things moving about.

one of my permissions runs along a railway line thats used to train rail workers,
    if I pull up in car and get out dressed in camo, they run a mile, yet get out with an orange hi-vi and white safety hat, and you can walk to within 30ft of them, its just something they see everyday thats not a threat to them, until me that is

think outside of the box....

8. adymorris

adymorris Keyboard Hero

Wing mirrors are not as suitable for springers as other rifles so you may need to support the gun, and yes movement is paramount, an 18 foot 4x4 is not exactly blending it but it doesn't move

9. DaveC_24

DaveC_24 Busy Member

I think I'll ask if I can take the car up onto the grass - might not be too happy as the hedge most of the bunnies frequent is near a taxiway, but then if they're on the prevailing runway this isn't used too often. Won't hurt to ask, eh? Thanks for the tips!

10. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

thats when you make something like this
    [​IMG]

11. DaveC_24

DaveC_24 Busy Member

Nice rifle mount you've got there, pestie! I'm not sure the wife would be too happy with me doing that to "her" car, though... ;)