1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Sensible ft/lb cushion

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Ronnieman, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Ronnieman

Ronnieman Engaging Member

Was faffing about the other day and decided to chrono my AA s200 .22 to see how it was performing... i was getting readings of 606ft/sec regularly(some variation but not a great deal) with accupells @ 14.3grains, by my calculation thats 11.66ft/lb at the muzzle...

it got me thinking if everything was perfect and all the conditions were right could the performance of my rifle peak and exceed the 12ft/lbs limit..? as i have no FAC this would not be good!

I do not think it unreasonable to assume every now and then the speed of the pellet may peak! maybe not a great deal different.. but at 610ft/sec that becomes 11.82ft/lb.. but if i wer to power up anymore it would be an even finer margin!

So my question is... Do the rest of you guys leave a sensible cushion for your rifles performance to peak and still be legal, but be powerfull enough that you can consistently get the most from it?

Cheers.

2. anightrains

anightrains Engaging Member

hi that seems just right to me you will spend more time worrying than shooting
    brian :)

3. Wayupnorth

Wayupnorth Honorary Member

I set my rifles at 11, but have been known to set them at 10.5. Not because I worry about power going over, but because I find that they have much less recoil at that and are still deadly enough on bugsy at 40yard. I shoot springers in case you were wondering.

4. Dunkman

Dunkman Posting Addict

Anything above 11.5 I would be uncomfortable with as the law states 'potential' to exceed 12 f/lbs and seeing that there is no standard Home Office approved 'test' pellet, there could be some pellet out there that the forensics guys could put through it and find it can produce muzzle energy above the legal limit.

When I work on guns, I only return them after 20 or so 'settling' shots followed by a string of 10 shots using Superdomes. I look for a max of 11.3 F/lbs for the simple reason it's not my gun and I don't want myself or the guns owner getting into trouble. There is also the fact that after say 1000 shots (on a springer) the power should increase as the internals fully bed in.

5. Ronnieman

fair enough, in my limited experience PCP's don't bed in quite the same as a springer and there has been nothing added or taken away from my s200(only a 10 shot mag) laterally just maintenance.. that's just what its at! Like i say peaking at 11.82 is a little higher than im happy with but it seems few and far between after 50 pellets so i think i'll just leave it im happy with 11.60ish!

But Dunkman do you think its predictably vague wording in the legislation.. Can work both ways as i guess any air rifle could be perceived to have the 'potential' to exceed 12 f/lbs !??!:confused: Thanks for the info mate

6. Pinpoint

Pinpoint Posting Addict

Mine was 10.3ftlbs so sent it back under warranty. It came back at 11.75ftlbs. Im not too happy with that because as you say it is too close for comfort but it does shoot better with a slightly flatter trajectory. If it was down to me I would like it to average 11.4ftlbs but thats what Air arms have set it at.

7. Ronnieman

I know yeah in .22 the trajectory does seem noticeably flatter anything after 11.00 f/lbs

8. richard1951

richard1951 Engaging Member

A good test is to put the gun in the airing cupboard and leave it toget as hot as you can 24 hr, same as it would be if in your car boot for a few hours in the summer heat then test it . you may be shocked.

9. Pinpoint

Pinpoint Posting Addict

Oh good grief, we're all going to end up with air rifles with an average muzzle energy of 7ftlbs at this rate, lol. ;)

10. Ronnieman

Shocked because it's higher or lower than I may think

11. lewis850

lewis850 Keyboard Hero

everyone should buy a chrono ;) then there wouldnt be any "well i didnt know sorry"

12. divebuddy

divebuddy Well-Known Member

With a pcp it's best to use the heaviest and softest pellet for testing on a chrono.
    I recently rebuilt a .22 hornet and set it with 14grain defiants at 11.4 ftlbs.
    When I tried it with 16grain AA diabolo Fields it gave a reading of 12.3ftlbs.
    Re-set to 11.4 on diabolos it gave 10.8 on the defiants.
    I believe springers give the highest output on lighter pellets.

13. richard1951

richard1951 Engaging Member

Higher

14. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

With respect, it doesn't work like that, i have a lot of PCP's and some give lower readings with a heavier pellet, lots of things to take into account, pellet type, pellet weight, pellet head size which in my experience can have drastic differences with chrono readings, also barrel has to be taken into account.

In reallity, chrono testing is a very painstaking and time consuming process, and even then there is no guarantee that a gun won't start going over power?
    I check my guns regularly, but i've quit worrying too much as it was spoilling my enjoyment. I think common sense, and good luck is what's needed ;)

15. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

I wish the test would be simply the gun being fired as it was found by the police, ie if you set it up to 11.5 fpe with the pellets that you use fine, not try pellets that were not with the gun, the test should be as is, end of, not tried with whatever pellets they see fit!

16. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

The law and the way the testing is done is seriously flawed, and i find that amazing in this day and age :confused:

Last year one of PCP's which i'd been using AA Fields(4.52) with for a couple of years, was consistently putting out 11.25ftlbs but with a higher FPS spread than what i would have liked.
    I decided to try some JSB Exacts in 4.53 head size in the gun, the spread was incredible, only 2-3FPS difference over 10 shots but, the power output went up to 11.95ftlb :(

Luckily that gun is adjustable, so because of the consistent FPS spread, i knocked it down to 11.50ftlb with the JSB's and all is good, but if i use the AA fields in 4.52 the power goes down to about 10.80ftlb.

So if i hadn't had a chrono, and the power was just a tad higher, and i'd happened to have been tugged for whatever reason, i would have quite innocently found myself in a really bad situation, just because i changed to a very similar pellet, with the same weight, but a slightly different head size?

It really is that crazy :rolleyes: