1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Selling custom/modded airguns, setting up as a trader, airgun "blanks", and randomness.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by DDMusic, Apr 9, 2014.

1. DDMusic

DDMusic Newbie

So here's some random questions, wasn't sure where else to post them.

I very recently modded an old springer and thought "Hey, I'd have loved one of these as a teenager more than the original rifle (and I'd have loved one right now, which is why I've 'made' one) - I wonder if people would buy this?" I won't go into details on the mod because I AM A TRICKSY BLIGHTER and it's kind of sidelong to my main queries. But it's nothing that makes it illegal, far as I know - no increase in power etc, though it is a fundamental change to the thing.

Questions: presumably you can't buy basic branded airguns (like cheap SMKs), mod them, and then sell them as your own professionally as you're essentially stealing someone else's design. Can you buy "blank" air rifles? In the same way that there's a whole bunch of the same lower-end crossbows around being rebranded and sold by multiple companies, are there rifles you can slap a sticker on and resell as whatever you like?

So assuming that's all possible and I have my air rifles to mod into hearty homemade awesome. What then? If what I'm selling is above board, how do I actually set up as a dealer - or does it cut out a lot of issues to simply produce the goods and then find someone to resell for you? We all know the restrictions on buying airguns - do those restrictions not apply if you're supplying wholesale to, say, GCAirguns?

Far as I know, it would be legal for me to sell (legally) modded air rifles as private secondhand trades (which would be a good test ground for popularity) - but damn me for being ambitious, it'd be awesome to legitimately produce and brand these things.

I hope all that makes sense and someone can help. I'll clarify if I can.

-D

2. JD

JD Donator

If your making air rifles from scratch to sell, you'd need to be RFD registered,

but if your just modding rifles then selling on as secondhand, thats a different thing.

Show us your wares, we will give you feed back, as to whether we like what we see. ; )

3. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Donator

If you wanted to produce your own brand rifles you can get them made for you in China (SMK quality or above) and import them. This will allow you to get a very cheap stock in to start work on. It will also allow you to have your own brand or design made for you, could even carry your own logo.

I've done this in the past with knives and guitars.

Not sure if you will need any kind of licence to import sub 12flb air rifles - you will need what is known as a 'pseudo TURN' number, this is basically a VAT registration number for someone who is not VAT registered - only takes a quick email to HRMC to sort out.

If you do look at import let me know as there are some additional costs that can catch some people out when they import for the first time but it is a very, very cheap way to get stock.

Finding manufacturers in China is pretty straightforward these days, there are even agents that will do the leg work for you.

4. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

If you simply sell a rifle that you have modified to fund your next one then, as long as the rifle complies with the law, you will have no problems. If you start to sell them by way of a business, even part time, you are in a whole different ball game and will need to be registered as a dealer with all the hassle that follows on from that, including face to face sales only for example (or post to another RFD). Once registered as a dealer you will come up against things like HMRC, public liability insurance (as a manufacturer of weapons) etc. Of course if you have a really good innovative product it may be worth while. An alternative is to sell the idea to an existing manufacturer and then get on with the next brilliant idea. You should probably check that your idea isn't already the subject of a patent held somewhere in the world and, if it's a really good idea, you might need to take steps to protect it because if word gets about then it will be made in China within a few months.
    There's some good advice above to consider but you need to think carefully about the best way to proceed if you hope to make any money out of your idea.

5. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

One of the best ways for you might be to look for a local RFD that will work with you for a cut of the profits. Then you won't need to worry about getting RFD status to do RFD to RFD transfers etc etc.
    Plenty of people take other peoples new guns and do a conversion then sell them on, hushpower shotguns for example.
    Good luck with your project.
    Cheers Andy

6. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, to follow on from andy and terry, nothing is impossable if you put your mind to it/and time/money/experience. if you have all 3 then you could look at a business plan with a financial advisor. importing into the UK air weapons is something that requires a lot of advice from HMRC etc but not impossable, RFD licence again. so like the importer you mention smk buy straight from factory in bulk, dealing with chinese companies requires knowledge of exchange rate/ negotiations and in the factory so you would need travel and business flair and having been to some chinese companies know the score, unless you buy direct from uk importer. we have a few good airgun tuners in the uk but there are always opportunities for others prepaired as i mention, i was thinking of doing a similar project a few years ago but in the fishing line and selling on flea bay but there are many others and i am getting on in years:rolleyes: so did not do, with air rifles/pistols etc its another ball game as mention above, there has been a surge in tuning air rifles and those that do take time to do orders is there room for one more??????. good luck

7. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Is this a trick question by Sandwell Field Sports regarding the Imp/Gladiator/Banshee whatever they have called the thing they have done to the HW99/95/77/97????

8. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello,sorry not sure what you mean????

9. secretagentmole

The SFS Imp is a modified HW99 .22, the Banshee is a modified HW95 etc etc!

Now do you get the idea?

10. DDMusic

DDMusic Newbie

I do not know of these Sandwich Feeling Sports of which you speak. Though if it's an issue that would be of interest to me - being potentially hoping to sell modded branded airguns - do explain.

Thanks for the suggestions/advice, everyone. If I DO try to make a few sales I'll probably start with private trades as secondhands, which would give me an idea of any demand and feedback without needing to do any fiddly real-life business stuff.

r10hunter - so even if I had a branded airgun (SMK for sake of argument thanks to price) that I'd modded but not repurposed, that could be distributed through resellers without violating the original patent/copyright? It's hard to know with these things.

11. BadBoyBazel

BadBoyBazel Engaging Member

Why not post a picture of what you've done, There are many enthusiasts on here who would give you an honest opinion. atb Barry

12. secretagentmole

Sandwell Field Sports sell modified HW rifles under a variety of names like Imp and Banshee, they also sell normal un modified HW rifles!

Google SFS Imp or SFS Banshee.

The Imp is a carbined 99 with a silencer and a tune up.

13. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

thanks for info, i still say most shooters could do just as well with a WW tune kit and DIY what ever spring air rifle they have. i dont think you get your money back selling a s/h tuned one or not as much as these high end tuners do.

14. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Selling custom/modded airguns, setting up as a trader, airgun "blanks", and r...

In addition to what secretagentmole said these guys customise and sell rifles http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/remington700.html
    And these guys customise and sell shotguns http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gunroom/SG_Hushpower.htm
    They and you are not passing the rifle off as your own work but are doing a custom job.
    If it were not allowed how many rfd's would be in trouble for buying rifles in, then getting them threaded, fitting a moderator, fitting sling swivels/ weaver rails, and having a trigger job done before selling them at a higher price.
    Many people will pay more to have a ready done custom job rather than mess around getting it done after purchase.
    If there is a market or not will depend on what you are doing.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  15. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Donator

Not necessarily.
    I had several lines manufactured to my spec by companies in China - never ventured further than my front door to do it, it was all done via email.

As for negotiation, a simple barter over unit price and your away. Easy as you like.

16. DDMusic

DDMusic Newbie

I searched around a bit for companies that would do this and no luck. Where did you go? Would probably make sense to get the modding done professionally (though we all love the done-in-a-garage-like-your-dad-would-do charm, right)

17. DDMusic

DDMusic Newbie

It . . . needs some work first!

Hey, you can't live too far from me. SMALL WORLD AYE

18. BadBoyBazel

BadBoyBazel Engaging Member

Just over the pond.

19. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Donator

One of the easiest routes I used was Alibaba.com