1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Scottish Ticket Opinions/advice Please.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Ksl7, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Ksl7

Ksl7 Member

So my situation is this:
    I live in Scotland so when the law changed my air rifle moved back in with my folks in England. It seems happy there & I visit when I can but I miss it. Plus the pigeons on the farm here are taking the p**s a bit!

There's plenty folk say I might as well get a FAC & be done with, no more messing with your "pea shooter" . I can see logic there so I've been doing what research I can, much of it on here. I'm looking for opinions & advice on my thoughts before I actually apply for anything.
    Most of what I want to use it for will be pest control in & around farm buildings. If I go FAC then it looks like I've two options:
    1, it looks cheap enough to get a .22 rimfire but it'll be a bit over-powered & I'd still want the air rifle & that means I'd still need the Air Weapon License too, right?
    2, go for a FAC air rifle which would be low enough powered to be OK for use around the buildings. I quite fancied this but it seems the .22 HW97K in waiting isn't suited to being tweaked to anything worthwhile over the FAC threshold & would be much harder to sell. Indeed the talk seems to be for FAC air then PCP is the way to go but by the time I get all the charging gear etc its not looking so cheap for the level of step up I'd be getting.

So I'm thinking I should just get the Scottish AWL for now & go with the gun I have available (and I do like it but I suppose I haven't had much to compare it to), or am I missing a trick?
    I have read that adding a shotgun ticket to a FAC application is only a few extra quid, does a similar principle apply to the Scottish AWL?
    Going for my SGC isn't totally out the question but it's not something I've thought about much.
    If I go for the AWL & later go for FAC/SGC is it easy enough to take advantage of renewing them together?

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

If I were in your position and didn't feel the need for a shotgun or rimfire before, then I'd have to wonder why I needed one now:rolleyes:, particularly as you have mentioned damage to buildings which you don't have to worry about with your existing gun and you don't really feel the need to spend more?

I'd 100% get the AWL for now, it's relatively quick, cheap and you don't have to start swapping guns or getting any other equipment - job done. :thumb:

If you then want to go for a bit more poke I'd still forget the rimfire based on what you have said, it's more expensive for bullets and can do more damage, definitely not for use around building or equipment, but a high powered air gun could be just the item you need? Especially as you can get variable power versions like the electronic Daystates which you can turn up and down with a few trigger squeezes, these could give you several power levels so you can pick the best one for your needs all in one gun:rolleyes:.

James

3. 80yarder

80yarder Engaging Member

If you are applying for or already hold an FAC or SGC you can add an airgun licence for £5, but now you do need the AWL as the other certificates do not cover you.

https://www.scotland.police.uk/abou...rms/air-weapon-licensing/application-process/

Good luck

Alan

4. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

I would go for the AWL. If you are shooting Pigeons in farm buildings, Sub-12fpe air rifle is all you will need. If you go FAC, your projectile will either over-penetrate, or cause building damage if you miss.

5. talyllyn

talyllyn Posting Addict

It states "Dangerous within 1 mile" for good reason on 22LR cartridge boxes.

6. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

I was referring to FAC air

7. Ksl7

Ksl7 Member

Thanks for the reply, my thoughts fairly much confirmed.
    I mabye could have been clearer on a couple of things, there's a couple of hundred acres of farm to look after besides the pests around the buildings & been a few occasions when someone with FAC has come in to deal with a problem. Also my folk's farm where my dad has a shotgun & as is knocking on in years someone will take that role over someday. I also had a go at clays a while back, did OK & quite enjoyed it but there's no time right now to be involved much in that.
    I hadnt seriously thought about going FAC until now when I'm going to have to apply for something to use the air rifle.
    Using the sub 12lbft one already available was always the main thing so for now I'll likely go AWL.

8. Teuchter Boy

Teuchter Boy Busy Member

I am based in Scotland and went fac air and awl when the awl was introduced as wasn't that much more burdensome other than the doctors report. If you have the land you may as well apply for fac air as most fac guns have adjustable power so can safely be used around barns then out in the field. Fac air just makes hunting easier in my opinion, a little more range and much better trajectory helps no end. I think it is also worth getting a sgc if you are going fac as a cheeky wee 410 can be a great tool around a farm and in the fields.

9. Ksl7

Ksl7 Member

Thanks for that Teuchter Boy, that's kinda the road I thought might be a viable alternative to jus getting AWL.
    I'd need a proper gun cabinet but I have been keeping an eye out for a used one anyway as it'd be better to store the air rifle in.
    How do the costs stack up for the route you've taken? No worries if you'd rather not say!

10. Teuchter Boy

Teuchter Boy Busy Member

I paid £200 for a moderated single shot 410 which is a simple but fun shotgun. The fac airguns were also initially quite cheap as bought an old rapid seven for £350. For no other reason than wanting shiny new toys I have since spent a bit more on a 22 Wolverine R at £1500 and 25 fx Streamline at £780. Doesn't have to be that expensive, I just liked the guns and went for it. You can pick up a decent fac 22 airgun for £500 plus change. Goes without saying but my wife can never find out

Bagster66 likes this.
  11. Ksl7

Ksl7 Member

Thanks for that, not daft money but mabye something for the future. The Hw97k is paid for, the AWL is going to be all I need to pay for right now to be back shooting.
    That's if I'm going to be allowed to deal with the pigeons.....

Does your missus declare what she spends on shoes & clothes?!
    My significant other is also the farmer from whom I need permission to shoot on the farm!

Teuchter Boy likes this.