1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Scopes won't hold on a meteor

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Meteor62, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Hi all, have married my bsa meteor to a 4x32 scope with one piece mount but the mount won't hold. After about 15 shots the scope falls off is there a special mount for the meteor ?
    A couple of images to show marks of scope creep below.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360079026.630617.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360079073.501750.jpg

2. thevoid

thevoid Posting Addict

You really need to sharpen the underside of the mounts so they really grip into the the shallow dovetail :)

3. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Mmmm.. How?

4. thevoid

thevoid Posting Addict

Dremel (what did we do before the days of the dremel?)

5. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I don't even know what a Dremel is. I didn't realise the meteor was such a pain to scope up if I can't get it sorted then the meteors days are numbered .

6. sponge bob

sponge bob Posting Addict

its the scope rail mate the peice that bite the groove need to be sharp by the looks of it that rail is old!! (the rail is the bit the scope is in)

7. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I thought the scope rail was the groove on the gun. It always used to be the thing the scope is in is the mount. It's a shame because it was giving some impressive accuracy when on the gun.

8. sponge bob

sponge bob Posting Addict

you actually right mate lol i meant the mount!!

another thing is to check that the mount teeth are firmly biting the rail

9. mikalis

mikalis Engaging Member

Used a file lol (if at first you don't succeed give up !!;) )

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  10. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Bear in mind that many BSAs have wider 'scope rails than usual, so it's possible that you're using standard mounts and the clamping plate is skewing; reducing the clamping area on the dovetails.

Sportsmatch / Bisley do the correct sized items ;)

11. thevoid

thevoid Posting Addict

On my mk4 I found the dovetail too shallow and mounts not sharp enough at the tip to hook into the rail. Sharpen the underside of point and it will be fine :)

12. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Weird I fasten the mount to the rifle I lift the rifle up by the mounts, I smack it back I smack it forwards. Nice and tight now me thinks. So I attach the scope take a shot and all is well I takes another shot and the mounts lose their grip and off falls the scope. Looks like I will have to buy another mount and hope that that has a better grip as this one is not very workable on the side that's not gripping.

13. mikalis

mikalis Engaging Member

is this the meteor you have just refurb have you checked the power ? just done mine and after 100 pellets it running about 9.4 and soooooooooo smooth
    Mike

14. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Yes in my thread I posted its running at 9.32 fp is yours .177?

15. gdsm10airgunner

gdsm10airgunner Donator

i have just bought seperate mounts for my MK 2 Meteor am waiting for them they sell them at J Knibbs they are designed for Meteors and have 1 inch tube maybe try them
    as an aside i have a mk 5 with one piece mount that is origional have no probs with scope creep
    HTH

16. OLD GIT61

OLD GIT61 if no spring it wont do a thing

GDSM Mate i have had this problem it will take ages to get scope mounts to fit the Meteor. I have 2 , mk1s and had mounts from KNIBBS and sent them back. When i told his son they would not fit he said file them, i said have them back .So i doctored a pair which came on the guns nasty plastic scope and shoe horned them to the new scope ,working fine.Maybe some one as had this problem as well as me ,you will have to keep looking.

17. pistolpete1981

pistolpete1981 Busy Member

Shouldn't be a problem really, I have a mk1 meteor and use hawke sports medium match mounts. I tend to set them up so that the teeth part of the mounts are just wide enough to fit the in the rails, but not too tight so that you can still slide them down the rail without the scope coming away from the rifle. If they do come away from the rifle the mount wasn't flush to the rail. If they don't come away just move them to the correct position for your eye to see through the scope correctly and tighten up the teeth.

The other way of doing it is to attach the mounts to the rifle individually first, before you attach the scope to the mounts. You really shouldn't need to file anything but leave that as a last resort.

18. gdsm10airgunner

gdsm10airgunner Donator

i will have to wait until i get them i got a 4x20 scope and mounts which fitted superbly from proteksupplies which is where i got the seperate mounts from i am happy to do a slight modification but i hope not to have to
    on a different topic what pellets do your meteors like pm me if you want to keep this thread on topic

19. brett1985

brett1985 Posting Addict

as many people have previously mentioned, the grooves on the main cylinder are very shallow and many mounts will have problems gripping them properly. filing is the only way on some mounts unfortunately.

of the many meteors i have had the pleasure of working on over the last few years, this has been a common issue. it seems that it doesnt affect all meteors, and it will almost certainly affect ones that have been refurbed. if you look closely at the angle of the cut on the grooves, there can be quite a degree of difference between two seemingly identical guns sometimes...

and not forgetting also, when the meteor was back in its original prime, smaller scopes with one piece metal mounts where the norm, bigger scopes with seperate mounts where a luxury that not many had due to the cost.

i have a selection of period 4x15 bsa scopes and 4x20 bsa scopes on my meteors, all with one piece metal mounts, and they all fit perfectly...

20. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Called knibbs today they are sending out some one piece mounts they say will fit the meteor.