1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Scope zero trouble

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by RyRy, May 7, 2014.

1. RyRy

RyRy Donator

So I've swapped out my Hawke Sport HD 3-9x40 for a Hawke Nite-Eye 3-12x50 AO IR on my HW99s

Whilst I'm still waiting for my BASC insurance to come through I'm stuck to just plinking in the garden. Unfortunately my "range" at which I can shoot in an area of the garden is just under 15 yards. I'm having trouble zeroing the scope in at this distance and currently have to have it set at 3x mag with the AO on 15 yards with the elevation set as high as it can possibly go. However the pellets are hitting exactly one mil dot below the centre of the crosshairs. Will this correct itself once I zero the scope at a longer distance?

Many thanks

Ryan

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RyRy

RyRy Donator

3. larryking28

larryking28 Busy Member

The zero will definetly need to be changed once you get to a longer range but i would still be a little concerned if you are running out of adjustment already.
    I found that if i zero at 30yds i am also pretty much on zero at 15yds as well.
    Daft question but are the mounts actually in/on the scope rail correctly?
    I have put a scope on before where the front mount was in correctly but the back one wasn't.
    I would take the whole thing off and start again.

4. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Yeah exactly that's what I'm worried about. The adjustment is as high as it will go. Should I try setting the scope further back or forward or anything?

5. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Very Active

Little off topic but are you not struggling with a 50mm objective on a hw99s with low comb? Ive got a 40mm objective on medium mounts at the minute and am only just getting away with it. I think i need a low mount and a 32mm lens or smaller

6. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Had to fit high mounts. Do you think that's what the problem could be?

7. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Very Active

Not sure if it would be the problem but I think a very low comb and high mounts are not going to help. Unless you have a huge head, it cant be comftable and a consistant head possition lol

8. RyRy

RyRy Donator

I do have quite a big head to be fair hahahaha

9. RyRy

RyRy Donator

This is the position it's sat at at the moment [​IMG]

10. larryking28

larryking28 Busy Member

[​IMG]

Maybe its an optical illusion but the front mount doesnt look vertical to me?

11. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Optical illusion I think mate [​IMG][​IMG]

12. larryking28

larryking28 Busy Member

Looking at the top picture of the two you just put up it looks like the arrestor pin is in the front mount?
    Again maybe an illusion?
    I still think one mount isnt seated properly on the scope rail.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  13. RyRy

RyRy Donator

Optical illusion again haha. It's sitting at the back in the scope stop. My main worry if it's none of the above is that at a greater distance the drop off is going to increase

14. larryking28

larryking28 Busy Member

I would still look at the mounts myself.
    It can look they are in the rail correctly even if it isnt.
    Do the mounts have that tape/grip stuff in them?
    That stuff can be quite thick and could genuinely be not helping.
    Personally I would just take it out altogether.

15. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Scope position is a personal thing, it depends on your size and build, eyesight etc etc. To me your scope looks to be too far back but that's probably due to the height.
    At the moment, if you're only shooting for fun, it doesn't really matter where the point of impact is as you can carry on shooting for groups etc as long as you know where to aim. It seems likely that there is an issue with your mounts, it's worth checking that they are a pair and are identical. I suggest you remove the scope from the mounts and the mounts from the rifle, make a note of where the mounts sit. Replace the lower halves of the mounts making sure that they go back properly and sit nicely in the dovetails and are clamped up firmly and appear to line up. You can then drop the scope in and put the top halves of the mounts back on, leaving them just loose enough so that you can rotate the scope and set the reticle correctly. Clamp up the mounts evenly once you're sure everything is in place.
    Centre the adjustments on the scope and try shooting, hopefully it will be somewhere near right.
    If you're shooting a .22 then if you get about 0.5" high at 15 yards you should be fairly close to a 30 yard zero.

16. RyRy

RyRy Donator

The mounts are brand new and came in the post today. I've just taken the rear sight off and move the scope and mounds forwards and totally re set them. Spirit level shows it's 100% level. [​IMG]

17. RyRy

RyRy Donator

I'm not sure whether I catch your drift there on the last part terry. Are you referring to the pellet going .5" high or the crosshairs?

Many thanks

Ryan

18. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

With a .22 i usualy start my zero at 10 yards which usualy isnt far off a 30yard zero aswell.
    I recommend putting a shim or 2 shims in the rear scope mount.

My personal opinion for a HW99 especialy in .22 would be a 4x32 or 6x40 non AO scope with standard basic milldot using the lowest mounts you can use, the stock cheek peice is designed for open sights so low, small scope and low mounts will mean you can get a decent cheek weld i.e the bottom of your zygomatic bone snug on the cheek peice.
    Another bonus of a small light wieght scope low down is the HW99 will keep its balance.

19. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

18 posts and no ones suggested shimming the scope on the rear mount yet!?:eek:

Thats the first thing you do if you run out of adjustment.;)

20. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

2 minutes to late he he:D