1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Scope Rings Welding Themselves To A Scope.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by TouchmymonkeyUK, Aug 15, 2019 at 7:42 PM.

1. TouchmymonkeyUK

TouchmymonkeyUK Busy Member

Bought my Impact the other day so obviously needed a scope. Have a Hawke on my P15 so decided to put that on there and get a side focus for the P15 that will be used with NV most of the time.

So going from the P15 to the Impact i had to change the mounts. Now i know for a fact i never tightened them up a stupid amount when i first bought it about a year ago but when i came to take them off i removed the 4 screws from each and had to lever the ring apart.

No marks at all on the scope so wondered why this happens. I know it can happen with different types of metal together but didn't think it did as much with the same metals.

Also wondering if it would be a better idea to use 30mm mounts with shims made of plastic to bring it down to 25mm and keep the metals apart. Would hate to end up damaging a scope in the future trying to get the rings apart.

Cheers.

2. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Small piece of electrical tape in the base of each mount and tightening to the correct torque will help rather than effectively shimming with the plastic inserts :up:

3. TouchmymonkeyUK

correct torque ?

With what, only thing i have that does that kind of thing is about the same size as my gun lol

That hurts likes this.
  4. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Hawke recommend that ring bolts are tightened to 16 inch pounds (1.8 Nm) and mount/rail to 30 inch pounds (3.4 Nm)

You can buy adjustable torque screwdrivers like the one I've got shown below, or individual fixed drivers ...

[​IMG]

See https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gift-Ide...398932&hash=item25fb9c1254:g:px4AAOSwMBdb4Wm-

allanthomas66 likes this.
  5. TouchmymonkeyUK

Cheers for the link, was looking at some on amazon and they were asking about 80 odd quid for them.

Think i'll get that one though. Still a lot of money for a few screws but i'm sure i'll use it on other stuff.

Happy days, managed to get that for £25.29 with some kind of promotional code.

Cheers again.

That hurts likes this.
  6. Buckshot

Buckshot Busy Member

Wish i hadn't read that post...........now i want one! :facepalm:

That hurts and TouchmymonkeyUK like this.
  7. keithy

keithy Post Whore

Did you check that the scope mounts did not have the pieces of black tape that most mounts come with? Thats usually the reason they stick, it wasnt corrosion that would be immediately obvious.

8. TouchmymonkeyUK

Yeah they do. i honestly thought that was some kind of padding lol

9. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Pro Poster

The mounts that you used, did they have that god awful tape stuff in them ?...

If so then there's yer answer as when clamped down the adhesive oozes through the tape and sticks "like poop to a blanket" to yer scope...

Tricky13 and TouchmymonkeyUK like this.
  10. hughwp

hughwp Engaging Member

I had to prise off a mount with a screwdriver the top halve came away but the bottom half is stuck solid could use a hammer but might damage scope. How do folks get them off they were not overtight its just the adhesive tape they come with that stuck them solid their Hawke make

TORNADOS7 likes this.
  11. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Pro Poster

Brute force and ignorance buddy, grab the scope in one hand and the mount with the other (as best as you can) and pull like 6u99ery, I don't use Hawke mounts for the very same reason you've fallen foul of...

robs5230 likes this.
  12. Scott

Scott Very Active

You could try a little heat (nothing mental) from a hairdryer to loosen the adhesive

13. TouchmymonkeyUK

Is there any way to get that sticky stuff off completely ?

Not sure i want to have to fight with them again. Might just take them off again, get rid of that sticky stuff and put them back on.

14. greyskull

greyskull Busy Member

I should think a bit of methylated spirits should remove the sticky :thumb:

TouchmymonkeyUK likes this.
  15. allanthomas66

allanthomas66 Busy Member

Make that +1, what a cool tool!

16. pbrown

pbrown Bunghole

WD40 wiped on with a cloth will remove it. :up:

17. Patrick

Patrick Donator

As 'That Hurt says line the scope clamps and cradles with a piece of black pvc electrical tape,i do this with all my mounts, and when tightening the clamp screws do the evenly and diagonally. Also hold the allen key by the short shank when tightening the screws this will stop you over tightening them.
    If you just tighten them up holding the allen key by the short end between your thumb and index finger you wont need to buy any fancy torque adjustable screwdriver.
    The reason why the clamps had to prised off may have been because the scope's body tube is a true 1 inch diameter tube i.e 25.4 mm and the mounts are 25mm and if you were a little over enthusiastic with the tightening of the screws that may have caused it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019 at 12:40 PM
  18. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

If you have the scope stuck in one ring half then a little WD40 sprayed or trickled into the joint and allowed to soak in should release it. Avoid the turrets and lenses. It is very good for removing glue and things like tar from car paintwork. Clean it off with a dry cloth and a degreaser.

TouchmymonkeyUK and pbrown like this.
  19. squib

squib Busy Member

Meths usually shifts the gunk left by that crappy black tape. I always get shut of it and put a strip of 1/2” wide masking tape in there.