1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Scope Question

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by SP99, Jan 18, 2021.

1. SP99

SP99 Well-Known Member

In terms of scopes, I’ve Seem ‘SF’ for side focous, ‘AO’ for adjustable objective ‘IR’ for illuminated reticule. What is ‘WA’?

Second question, can someone differentiate for me side focous vs parralax adjustment on the front of the scope?

thanks

2. rich79

rich79 No deep or funny comment here

WA is wide angle, gives you a bigger field of view.
    Side focus can be better as you're not twisting the objective lens and possibly causing a zero error, plus it's not such a reach forward & moving the rifle to see what the graduations are

3. SP99

SP99 Well-Known Member

Nice one thank you, but they are essentially the same thing then?

4. pbrown

pbrown Very Active

Apart from where they're located on the scope they perform the same function. :up:

SP99 likes this.
  5. rich79

rich79 No deep or funny comment here

They do the same job but in a different way, it's just more comfortable & eliminates any discrepancies if you use a sidewheel, that's why they're becoming more popular.
    Watch out if you own a pcp with left hand magazine loading as it'll be in the way.

tombillings916 and SP99 like this.
  6. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Front AO can also be technically simpler to make and install, so cheaper and with less potential failure points, but TBH, to me the SF ones are so much easier to use that I would not generally consider an AO personally, but there is nothing wrong with them and in some ways they are superior.

When you see "focus" or "parallax" adjustment they are technically not the same, but in our use of the terms they are interchangeable and easier to understand when used that way, so most people will know what you mean and not be "outraged" by you using an incorrect term - Let's face it, even the manufacturers call it side "focus" :laff:

willo1962 likes this.
  7. SP99

SP99 Well-Known Member

This is why I have problems with it though! When I see AO I know we’re talking parralax, when I hear Focus, I assume focus like on a set of binoculars! To make the picture clearer

8. YepYep

YepYep Busy Member

SF vs AO also has another advantage, the outside diameter of the objective len become a little bit smaller, gives you a little bit clearance to the action, sometimes means you can use a lower rings/mount or have a little bit easier for loading...

9. td_boy

td_boy Donator

....and your flip up covers don't twist round with the AO :D

10. Buckshot

Buckshot Posting Addict

Yes, that IS annoying, my two powder burners have SF scopes and my R10 has scope with an AO. I had to put tape around the inside of the end cap to make it fit securely but if i alter the parallax the lens cap shouts at me for being off to one side.
    OCD perhaps?:facepalm: .......Or does that annoy anyone else?

Lev Levvin likes this.
  11. waisted skirt

waisted skirt Donator

I had a Simmons Expedition scope, wished I never sold it, its AO was a separate ring so the scope covers remained in exactly the same place when any adjustments were made.I don't know why more scope manufacturers don't use this system, it's provably down to cost?.

12. td_boy

td_boy Donator

I believe the highly regarded Tasco Super Snipers and SWFA 10 x 42's had the focus ring where the magnification ring traditionally is...
    I know they're fixed power - but it seemed such an elegant system and to be honest I always use a mag of 9-12x anyway.
    Would love one but they always appear to be very expensive - if someone like like Hawke bunged out a Vantage version I reckon it'd sell like hot cakes...

13. paj

paj Busy Member

Wide angle and well worth considering in my view.

14. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark NOW PERMANENTLY BORED!

An objective positioned PX is the better system, SF is fashionable and easier to use, not that it would really matter on the typical airgun scope quality!

15. John Entwistle

John Entwistle Posting Addict

I’ve never owned a Tasso, but my SWFA 16x 42 has the app ring just in front of the diopter. They do appear in the sales section, that’s where mine came from, good scope decent price, poor in low light, but I’m not a Hunter so that’s OK, the 12 and 10x will have more light than the 16 or 20x of course

16. Nords

Nords Schott glass addict

Which is why IOR used that type of system on the Crusader 1...

17. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Beast of Bodmin !!

SF side focus is excellent, but has no bearing on the ‘WA’ wide angle feature of some select scopes.....very different animals.

there are many ‘sf’ scopes that are not ‘WA’....there are a few select models available with the ‘WA’ lenses...
    there are also some AO scopes with ‘WA’ lenses...

take the excellent hawke Endurance WA range...

ive owned these scopes... really good build and the image has to be experienced to be believed ...

the image is truly glowing and the WA wide angle image has a far bigger field of view than other comparable power scopes.

You can see much more of what’s around your prospective target... not just ‘a rabbit’....
    you see the rabbit at same size as with other scopes, plus a lot more of surrounding area... makes acquiring and tracking your target a lot easier.

sadly, they tended to be quite grainy using NV hence my upgrading to frontiers instead.

for daytime use, I’ve not had anything that gave a bigger FOV image

Nords and paj like this.
  18. BallisticBill

BallisticBill Too much keyboard, not enough action!

As above. The specs will tell you what the field of view is at a given magnification, either the angle or width at specified range.

Your application will influence what you need and what you prefer. Hunting at short-medium variable range at lowish magnification, a 40mm objective will give reasonable depth of field so frequent refocusing isn't required. Similarly, if you are sniping at long range from a fixed position with high magnification you may not need to refocus. I use generally use wide angle AO scopes (with forgiving eye relief) for hunting in preference to narrower side focus because quick target acquisition is more valuable than precise focus. Conversely, for target shooting, even though the target isn't going to move, I much prefer side focus because it's easier to fine tune... and angle of view is much less relevant.

Nords, Lev Levvin and paj like this.
  19. BallisticBill

BallisticBill Too much keyboard, not enough action!

Why is that?
    I'm not disagreeing but I think Richard Utting has overlooked something in his explanation. Even with AO you need an additional lens to a normal twin-lens (objective + ocular) refractor telescope in order to rectify the image, otherwise the image would be inverted. I'm not able to say he's wrong: I've not dismantled AO and SF scopes to check. Theoretically, you can use the same number of lenses and adjust either by moving the objective (AO) or moving the third lens. This should have no effect at all on image quality provided the lenses and tolerances in the mounts and adjustment systems are comparable.

20. David_Brown

David_Brown Engaging Member

what good sf scopes are there?