1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Scope problem - parallax??

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by mx5er, Aug 23, 2014.

1. mx5er

mx5er Posting Addict

I know this will probably be a 'tired' discussion, but I've noticed a problem when sighting the target through my scope.

I had the rifle rested steady on bags to test the grouping of various pellets, and as I moved my head around the bullseye moved in relation to the crosshairs. I've been doing some reading and I think this is 'parallax' right?

erm.... what can I do about it? Just make sure I keep a consistent cheek position on the stock?

My Scope is a budget offering - Nikko Stirling mount master 3-9x40... Do higher end scopes cope with this better? or is it just down to better shooting technique.

Sorry if these are basic questions, but I've been away from air gunning for a very long time.

Cheers guys!
    Neil

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Get an AO scope,if it's adjusted correctly then there will be no movement whatsoever

3. Zaytoon

Zaytoon Well-Known Member

More than likely your scope will be parallaxed at 100yards - much too far for an air rifle. Ideally you want it parallaxed to about 10-35 yards and this is something you can do yourself by reparallaxing your scope, just search for a youtube video its very simple. This is all if you are using the same scope. The best thing really is to get a scope with adjustable AO but I understand that may not be an option.

4. Denzle

Denzle Donator

I've recently been reading about a shooting aid called the Accu Cover, I believe it's designed to eliminate parallax. Google it and have an interesting read, seems to be getting very favourable reviews. I'm seriously considering purchasing one as I need all the help I can get!! Hope this is of some assistance.
    Denz

5. landymick

landymick Very Active

As with any form of shooting the idea is to eliminate all errors either through equipment or by the user.Keeping the same hold & head /eye position is the way for consistent shooting with the gear you have.

6. Denzle

Denzle Donator

That indeed is very sound advice landymick. I'm getting there slowly, now realising that correct hold and repeatability is the name of the game. I've spent plenty of time adjusting and readjusting the turrets on my scopes only to find it was was me not consistently repeating my hold.

7. mx5er

mx5er Posting Addict

Thanks for the input :up: I'm going to work on my technique more to try and maintain a constant hold. I'm also considering a slight upgrade with the scope as I'm getting a cheaper springer for plinking and I'll fit this existing scope to it.

I've been looking at this: http://www.hawkeoptics.co.uk/hawke-airmax-ev-4-12x40-ao.html

Cash is a bit tight at the moment - but this should be an improvement right?

thanks again
    Neil

8. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

look on the forum sales section, you will be able to pick up a good scope for a good price, no point in buying from a dealer.

9. mx5er

mx5er Posting Addict

Good point - I never thought :rolleyes:

10. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Ken had a really nice,higher mag scope,I would PM him if he still has it :)

11. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

Dont know what mountmasters are PX`ed to if its 100yards i would try adjusting the front lense to bring the PX to around 30yards.
    This will help lots.

12. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The real answer is to focus the scope to get rid of the parallax but you will need to get another scope, one with an adjustable objective (AO) or side focus (SF) which I find easier to use. It obviously helps if you can get the rifle mounted in exactly the same way for every shot but if you vary between prone, sitting, kneeling and standing plus shooting up or down then that's easier said than done.
    Parallax is worse at higher magnification so if you had, say, a 4-12x mag scope you might not be able to see it at 4x but at 12x it could be quite bad and if you go up to even higher magnification it can become critical. Focussing is best done at the larger zoom values because it is easier to see when it's spot on and you can then turn it down to your normal shooting position. Also don't forget that your mil dots or other marks for holdover will change as you alter the zoom.

13. Akita177

14. mx5er

mx5er Posting Addict

15. Akita177

Glad it worked matey:D