1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Scope Mounts Advice Please

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Phil S410F, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Phil S410F

Phil S410F Engaging Member

At the moment my S4x0 rifles are sporting scopes mounted on Hawke mounts.

Having read various threads regarding mounts and alignment on here I tried to mount them on the same rail with the clamp screws facing opposite directions and was amazed by how far out they were, this was done purely for interest.

It has however got me thinking that this may cause inaccuracies when shooting at ranges other than the zeroed one (this is starting to happen more often as I am starting to think about dipping a toe in to HFT).

I have also seen people recommending the BKL mounts which look to me as if the clamping action is done by springing the two legs of a single piece of metal together and thus should be more centred. Is this the case and are they a lot better than "standard mounts"?

Also should I be thinking about double straps or single straps?

If I need two sets the cost starts adding up quickly.

2. The burpster

The burpster Engaging Member

Sadly, you get what you pay for. Not only are the cheap mounts likely to be out of line they will also put strain on the tube of the scope.

The best ways to mount a scope stress free are a one piece pre lapped mount (like the Nightforce ultralight or Tier One), or using Burris rings with pos align inserts. These are not easy to get hold of but will do the job with no compromise.

Would you buy a Ferrari track car and use remould tyres? It amazes me that so many people will spend hundreds on a rifle and scope and then scoff at spending more than £20 on mounts. A chain is as good as its weakest link....

3. Phil S410F

Thanks @The burpster I have had a quick google of Burris rings and suddenly BKL don't seem so expensive after all.
    The Burris rings seem to come in two different rail fitting styles a self centering one and what looks like the normal clamp on one side so I guess it would be the self centering one to get the real benefit.
    One piece mounts would I think give me problems with the Magazine on the S410 and impinge on the loading of the S400.
    I'm not scoffing at spending more than £20 on mounts as such but potentially if I do both rifles with double band BKL mounts I am getting close to £80 if not slightly more and wondered how much difference it makes in real life to decide on whether it is worth doing in one hit.

4. John Entwistle

John Entwistle Engaging Member

I’ve got BKL on my hw100 and tx200 never an issue, apart from a daft imperial sized Allen key
    I’d have them on my Impact if they did picatinny mounts :(

5. Roger Archbold

Roger Archbold Engaging Member

BKL are the ones for me, and you don't need double screws on a PCP as you say BKLs ain't cheap, but they are good

6. John Entwistle

John Entwistle Engaging Member

Tactical scopes (Nick Wake) is showing stocks in 30mm and dovetail

PBaz Barrett likes this.
  7. hamza

hamza Posting Addict

Definitely BKLs, single straps will be fine for a PCP.

I have some Burris, Tier One and some Spuhr ones on the way but they’re all for Picatinny rails so no good for your 400. They are however very very good. The Burris ones will even let you adjust up to 40MOA with the shims they come with.

I highly recommend buying one of these too if you get the BKLs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wera-05344...rds=WEra+9/64&qid=1569402255&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Having said all that... it’s easy enough to see how far off centre your current mounts are putting you, just zero in at say 25yda d then check windage at 8 and 50yds. If it’s enough to miss a kill throw them away. If it’s less than the error you introduce just shooting the gun maybe spend the mo eye on more pellets and time at the range instead.

PBaz Barrett likes this.
  8. Phil S410F

Pellets and time at the range are a given regardless.

Just looking for tiny increments of accuracy.

9. hamza

hamza Posting Addict

I guess I was just trying to say, check how far they actually put you off the mark before spending money on new mounts. Easy to do. If it’s not much then spend the money on a different change to improve accuracy.

Or just do it anyway if you’re more time than money limited.

10. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Well if you attach the mounts so that the clamps and screws are on opposite sides of the rail to each other of course they'll be out of line to certain degree depending on what make they are as they were never intended to be mounted that way. Assuming they not defective/faulty there's nothing wrong with the Hawke Mounts you've got providing you do the obvious i.e put the clamps of each mount on the same side of the rail and make sure you use the clamps the correct way round to suit the width of the scope rail on your gun. I've used Hawke mounts before and have got a pair on one of my guns and they work fine, they not canted over at all and are central.

32:1 likes this.
  11. Phil S410F

I will get the measuring devices out later and see how central they are.

I obviously do have them mounted with the fixings on the same side as otherwise it would be skewed. I just wondered how far off the Centreline of the barrel it might be.

12. The burpster

The burpster Engaging Member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  13. Coggie

Coggie Well-Known Member

What about sports match mounts. I thought they were the dogs bananas n all that.

Brock1Rgj and Lev Levvin like this.
  14. Phil S410F

Thanks for the heads up burpster, unfortunately too tall for me.

15. robs5230

robs5230 леший

At an educated guess, one sided mounts could be almost up to 1.5mm off centre.
    If used with clamps on opposite sides this could be almost 3mm askew

16. John Harrigan

John Harrigan Verified Dinosaur

When I had my .308 made a Nightforce NSX 56mm was fitted the gunsmith Dave Wylde lapped the NF mounts, this may be of use to Target shooters probably not so much hunters. It might help with less expensive mounts.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  17. hamza

hamza Posting Addict

So let’s say it’s 1.5mm, if you’re zeroed at say 25yds, taking a shot at 50yds you’d be out by 1.5mm on windage. I reckon my margin of error as a shooter is probably more than that.

18. robs5230

robs5230 леший

But knowing its out at all, why would anyone even accept that.
    As shooters we strive for the best rifle, scope, pellet, god knows what accessories in the search for "perfection" then bolt the rifle and scope together with cheap mounts that have have an inbuilt error (let alone cheaper ones possibly being a mis matched pair).

Why would you ?
    For the sake of £20 or so :facepalm:

2506sendero likes this.
  19. jesim1

jesim1 Big Poster

Not so - if your out by 1.5mm at the scope in alignment then you could be out by over an inch as the range increases the further you go between the gun and target unless both rings are out exactly the same. This is because the scope is potentially pointing slightly off centre and not aligned with the barrel, so it’s basically not pointing straight and you aim will be off.

FPoole and robs5230 like this.
  20. hamza

hamza Posting Addict

Personally I don’t, but if i can imagine there might be cases where there are bigger sources of error to resolve first