1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

scope mount dovetail size

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by busanga, Sep 12, 2014.

1. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

What does it mean when it says

Quote:

The dovetail clamp rail is reversible to fit both 9-11mm (airgun) and 3/8" rimfire rifle receivers.

Surely 3/8" falls between 9 and 11mm anyway ?

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

You can flip the clamp around,it has a slightly different profile on one side than the other.

3. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

When you say profile, is the actual shape slightly different, because 3/8" is same width as 9.5mm which is covered by the other side anyway.

4. fatbob

fatbob Engaging Member

3/8" equivalent to 10mm, Take it from a mechy fitter ;)

Atb
    Bob

5. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

Actually it is 9.525 mm. But in wrenching we can use a 10mm spanner as a 3/8" substitute

6. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I would imagine the ad was trying to state that because of the reversible clamp,it can cover all three sizes; 3/8'',11mm and 9mm

7. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

My point is this is the same as saying I have an adjustable spanner from 10 to 20mm but I am going to buy another 14mm spanner to undo a 14mm nut. I don't see why there is a 3/8" (9.5mm) on one side AND 9 to 11mm on the other... what for ?the 9 to 11 covers it all anyway.

8. mattyts

mattyts Donator

The ad is perhaps worded wrong and means one side of the clamp can fit 9mm and 3/8'' receivers while flipping it would allow it to be fitted on 11mm rails.

9. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

You may have something there that would make more sense, though the wording is ambiguous.

10. fatbob

fatbob Engaging Member

OK Mr pedantic you obviously googled your conversion and to prove your not an engineer you would know a 14mm spanner doesn't fit a14mm nut, i.e. 6mm nut = 10mm spanner, 8mm nut = 13mm spanner, 10mm nut =17mm spanner, same as a fitter will quote 1mm = 40 thou as a rough guide when it's actually 39.3 thou. Don't try to be a smart man and try to learn your Granny how to suck eggs :p

Bob

11. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

I stand corrected :)

12. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    i don't think you ought to stand and be corrected, as your questions are valid, and deserve to be answered as such. a 14mm spanner WILL fit a 14mm hexagon nut, but WON'T fit an M14 nut, which has a much larger hexagon profile. to the untrained, 14 does go into 14, but when you apply it as an engineering term, it may not (if you see what I mean)~ie, a 14mm nut could mean a hexagon measuring 14mm across its opposing flats, or an M14 nut, and both are totally different. i believe it's too easy to jump on folk who don't use, or know, the correct terminology. if it were me that had been answering the ops questions, I would have asked for clearer details before giving my answer ...

13. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

It was really only used as an analogy for the dovetail size confusion, perhaps I could have used a better one. I did not think about getting into thread diameters and head sizes etc. :)

All good fun !

14. stevemandm

yes it is good fun! as for you original question , matty is correct in his answer , and you in your observation. 3/8 " does fall in between 9-11mm in size when converted, but as one is imperial and one is metric, they both have different angles for the mating/locating faces. and as such, would seat incorrectly if mixed up.
    hope this makes sense, and answers your original question mate.

15. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

Excellent! That is what I was getting at in post #3 about profile differences. the actual mating surfaces being different on the metric and imperial sides. I need to switch mine around and check as i don't think the fit of my Hawke tactical match mounts looks right on my dovetail. Does not seem to 'hook' into the dovetail groove or lip properly, hoping this has to do with the some difference in the metric/imperial side of the mount.

16. stevemandm

phew .... got there in the end !

17. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

:) perseverance my friend

18. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

Ps. I could of course argue that as only one side of the mount flips and the other is fixed we now have a situation where both sides do not have the same mating surface in one of the configurations ? So am still not sure why flipping it helps, unless what matty says is right and the wording is wrong in the ad. Meaning one side covers 3/8" and 9mm and the other is for 11mm and the mating surfaces are all the same. hehehehe

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  19. fatbob

fatbob Engaging Member

Ok mate I maybe jumped the mark a little quick and in this ever changing world we live in I should also have mentioned some producers of fasteners have in their wisdom decided to shave off material from the size across the flats i,e. some 10mm nuts now require a 16mm spanner instead of a 17, the only point to remember is fasteners are sized by thread dia not what they measure across the flats. As far as the saving of material I fail to see the point in this as you now require to carry two spanners for the same size nuts & bolts. ;)

Atb
    Bob

20. busanga

busanga Posting Addict

No problem fatbob. Am still trying to understand exactly the difference between the two options on the scope mounts as worded by the manufacturers.

I need to flip mine around and see how it sits on dovetail (sits rubbish now) unfortunately don't have it with me that's what got me thinking what exactly is the difference between the two options re. Fit to the dovetail.

By the way this is for am hw100 which I believe is 11mm dovetail so at the extreme end of adjustment which ever side I choose.