1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Scope Magnification?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Fog, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

How much magnification do you really need?

I did have a 3-9-50 milldot but am thinking about a hawke 4-16-50 AOR ir 30/30.

How far do you go. I know the trouble is that if the target moves its going to be harder but at 50yds its highly unlikely you will get it second time round anyway.

What Mag have you got?

2. delboy

delboy Member

I have a nikko stirling sniper 24 mag scope but only ever seem to use it at 10x and have also got a nikko nighteater 12x50.
    My lowest mag scope is a 1.5-5 x 20 simmons whitetail classic great for close range work.

3. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

I love the 'Nite eye' by Hawke it gives you just that little avantage as the sun goes down.

4. Chael

Chael Engaging Member

I have a weak 4-9x50. but I like it :)

ATB,
    Chael

5. 16Grain

16Grain Member

I have a Simmons Aetec 3.8-12x44 IR AO. Works really well in low light.

6. Bastropjim

Bastropjim Member

Scope Magnification

I've got 2 Simmons 44 Mag 6.5-20x44 mil dot reticle scopes. They have illuminated reticles and were bought on sale for only $89 each. These scopes are incredible value for the money.

I also use 2 Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 duplex reticle scopes. These cost a bit more - $99 each. I really don't see much difference between the Banner and the much higher-priced 3200 and 4200 series Bushnell scopes. The Banner 4-12 is nice and compact.

All have held up to spring airgun recoil. However, the Bushnells are brighter. It's like looking through a soda straw vs. a pipe, comparing the Simmons to the Bushnell. And at 16x, the picture is so dark and hard to align the eye, that it's not really usable. So, I'd say 6x to 8x with either scope is about the optimum for a low-priced scope.

The mil dot feature is essential, in my view. It makes quick work of figuring hold-over at various ranges.

R/ Jim

7. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i use 6x magnification on my hawke SR6:)

8. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Why are you digging up old posts from 2005. :ban:

9. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

because there arent many from 2008:D

10. Fxwhisper

Fxwhisper Active Member

BSA 6-24

perfect for shooting in 177 at 50yds plus:up:

11. topcat

topcat Post Whore

simmons mag44 20 times mag

12. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

I use 10x my scope is fixed. :up::D

13. 8-ball

8-ball Engaging Member

5.5 - 16 x 44 Hawke
    Usually leave it set at about 6 or 7x as this seems to give me the best view of quarry.
    Occassionally wind it back to 5.5 for scanning the lay of the land, or up to 10+ to identify quarry further afield

(getting an 8 x 56 Nikko Sterling to go on my .22 rimfire, should be awesome when zero'd in )

Ken