1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Scope issue, gun shooting low, not sure what to try next

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by 300bhp/ton, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 300bhp/ton

300bhp/ton Engaging Member

Apologies if this ends up long winded. Just looking for some tips/advice on what to try doing next.

I have a Crosman 2260 (single Co2 .22 rifle). Had it many years and for the money it's a perfectly nice gun. No recoil and very very light handling.

The stock sights are a bit pants however, so despite having owned the gun for 10 years or so. I decided for the first time last week to fit a scope to it.

I ordered up some scope mounting blocks off ebay. For those that are familiar with Crosmans, you need these additional mounting blocks, which clamp onto the barrel and provide a 3/8th dovetail. This is the same for other Crosman guns such as the 2240 and 2250 Ratbuster.

Anyhow clamps fitted (which sadly didn't seem to clamp well, but that's another issue). And an old BSA 4x32 scope fitted. Nothing fancy.

I assume it should "just work". But the scope appears to be aiming high compared to where the gun shoots. I've got the scope adjusted all the way and it's still way out. I even tried adding a small foam block between the scope body and one of the rings to try and angle it. It improved, but it is still shooting 1-2" lower than where you aim.

The gun seems fine power wise, so I don't think it's a lack of fps causing it to actually shoot low, for example at the same distance I was getting the 2260 to penetrate targets better than my BSA Meteor .177. Some pretty tough like a fairly thick plastic traffic cone. The .177's sometimes didn't make it though, but the .22's did.

Distance was 15-20 yards.

My assumption is, the scope is simply physically pointing higher than the barrel. And I'm not sure what to try next. I used to use this scope on a BSA rifle and my Webley Tracker and it was fine on them, for similar shooting.

Hoping someone has some ideas on what might be causing this issue. Thanks.

2. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

possibly because it's co2. .it suffers from lower preasure when the temperature drops

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  3. surrey shooter

surrey shooter Donator

Co2 not to good in the cold, you will always find zero shift with co2.

4. Tac

Tac Donator

As the people above have said, its most likely down to temperature effecting CO2 performance. Hope this helps.

5. imorik

imorik Busy Member

What distance are you shooting at, ideally for .22 you need to be zeroing at around 25 yards. Point of impact will be lower if you are shooting at a closer range. Only option is to pack the rear mount (between scope and bottom mount) with some kind of flexible plastic shim, foam isn't suitable as it'll squash.

6. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The scope mounts used on those are pretty poor unfortunately but firstly you will need to get them to clamp up firmly, may need some filing/sanding on the mating faces to allow the bolts to clamp it properly. Other things you can try are:
    swapping the clamps around
    swapping the scope mounts around
    don't do both at the same time though.
    You can try some shimming to raise the rear of the scope but be careful because those little scopes aren't very strong and you could damage the tube if you shim too much.
    It's possible that the barrel is bent slightly, you can check that with a steel straight edge. It is possible to straighten the barrel depending on how bad and where the bend is.
    If you're going to use shims then you'll need material which is thin and won't compress - old film negative is good or small pieces cut from an aluminium can will do.

7. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Temperature!! But you can't mount your scope using foam!!!!

8. 300bhp/ton

I'm not convinced it was temp related, the rifle shoots fine with open sights and it really wasn't that cold out, and I've certainly used it in colder conditions with the open sights and not had an issue. It was also shooting consistently throughout an entire Co2 capsule with a very sudden drop off at the end.

I didn't count how many shots, must have been around 30, and apart from me wobbling, they'd all land in pretty much the same place. Then you'd have a massive drop in power the next shot, 6" drop. Just to check fire one more than it'll hit the ground a few feet short of the target.

It was consistent in this behaviour over 4 Co2 capsules.

And as I say, it seemed to be out performing my .177 BSA consistently.

9. bf95

bf95 Donator

With co2 the power drops with every shot and when you come to the end of the capsule you will see a large drop in power like you have mentioned where it's 6" from the group then a few feet away. This is due to there being not enough presure in the capsule. Think of a deodorant can.. When its new it sprays loads.. When its half way through its not as effective at spraying..

Co2 doesn't perform as well in cold weather as it does in warm weather as mentioned above so you will always experience power and poi variances. As people have mentioned above try swapping the mounts around and padding with plastic strips, I've used electrical tape several times and it works quite well.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  10. 300bhp/ton

Thanks for the replies. I still do not believe this has anything to do with Co2 or ambient temp, as the gun with this scope is shooting low all the time.

I have found this video on YouTube, which seems to offer a reasonable explanation of what is happening, and a possible solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-nKT8hsfq4&ab_channel=AirgunExperts-AirgunWeb/AirgunWebTV

In essence I attempted the same, only using some rubberised foam sticky pads, as I thought they would be non damaging and lift the rear of the scope slightly. I think I'll try this method in the vid next. Although I have found some scope mounts that allow adjustment for barrel droop at £29.95, which might be what I need to do ultimately.

11. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

Have you tried swapping the two ring mounts around? i.e. front to the back and vice versa? You might have a mount that is slightly out, or the barrel block scope mount might not be the same height as the rear rail on the breech block

12. Jed Clampit

Jed Clampit Posting Addict

This might be a bit obvious, but from your "it should Just work" comment, have you zero'd the scope??

13. 300bhp/ton

Sadly yes. Spent most of Saturday afternoon faffing about with it, taking off, swapping bits around. But a consistent result.

I think the YouTube vid I linked too seems to match up with the issue I'm having.

14. 300bhp/ton

Yes, maybe I wasn't clear in the op. That is the exact problem, I can't zero the scope, because despite adjusting to the maximum it is still shooting low. There is no more adjustment left.

However the YouTube vid I've linked to a few posts back explains this as barrel droop. With the easy solution of lifting the back of the scope up via some home made shims. This is essentially what I attempted on Sunday, although unsuccessful. Having now seen how he does it in the vid, I'm going to try that.

15. bf95

bf95 Donator

I don't mean to be rude and it may be a daft question you're not using the windage turrets as the elevation turrets? They often have less movement than the elevation ones.. As I say I don't mean to be rude asking it. Hope you get it sorted soon.

16. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

:popkorn::shrug::amen::first:This is awesome

17. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

You beat me to it Gasman :mad:

18. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Got the scope on the wrong way round?

19. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

Or is he holding the gun the right way around ;)

20. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

I wonder if he's tried premium gas? This might solve the issue ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.