1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Scope Arrestor Hole

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Rikimaru, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Rikimaru

Rikimaru Engaging Member

OK I'm probably going to get laughed at for asking this but what the hell. I have a Webley Vulcan & Tracker and even though they have been fettled and are putting out 11 (Vulcan) & 10.5 (Tracker) ft/lbs & have one piece mounts (not Sportsmatch but intending to get some as this may be contributing to creep) they are both suffering badly from scope creep.

Both guns do not have arrestor holes. Has anyone attempted drilling arrestor holes in either of these guns.

The thing I would be nervous about if I attempted it would be going through the cylinder wall.

Is it feasible to drill a hole deep enough or is the cylinder wall to thin? I am assuming that guns like HW springers are obviously designed with the holes in mind, so cylinder wall thickness would account for this.

If the idea is a non starter has anyone found a solution to this problem (bit of kit etc).

2. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

There used to be an add on mount that could be fitted to the rail behind one of the mounts and was supposed to be effective. Maybe someone will know what they’re called and if/where you can get them.

3. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Vary in price a lot, but do a search for arrestor blocks :up:

SlugFest likes this.
  4. Rikimaru

Rikimaru Engaging Member

Cheers for the feedback people :thumb:

I have seen the arrestor blocks, sportsmatch & ant-supplies do them. The Ant-supplies one looks good with four bolts but they all use pins & I would rather keep the lines clean without a block stuck on the rail.
    I am not sure the blocks would totally arrest slippage.

I am after an opinion by some of the techie members on here regarding feasibility of drilling the holes in the cylinder as I can do some work on guns but I am not 100% in my assessment abilities regarding this sort of thing (possibly weakening cylinder etc).

5. Scrinja

Scrinja Trust Me

Get some BKL mounts they will not slip although a tad expensive Dude
    Or order some steel mounts as the grooves are really narrow on your rifles
    The steel mounts will grip and bite into them more

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  6. Rikimaru

Rikimaru Engaging Member

I've never heard of BKL but just checked them out and they look really good.

The BKL-260 looks very impressive. Six clamping bolts & the uni-body (no separate clamp) really looks like it would sort out the creep issue.

For £53 I'm going to try one out on the Tracker.
    Thanks for the heads up mate.

Lev Levvin and Scrinja like this.
  7. robs5230

robs5230 леший

I'd look at sorting the firing cycle to prevent creep rather than masking it

8. Rikimaru

Rikimaru Engaging Member

Both guns have been sorted.

Vulcan has a Welsh Willy guide/spring kit fitted, new seals all round, de-burred & polished & is working at 11ft lbs.

Tracker has a Shauny guide kit, he shortened the spring & polished piston Again polished & de-burred. Working at around 10.5ft lbs.

Both guns are vastly different to factory guns, recoil is much reduced but they are spring guns with rails that have no facility to stop creep like modern guns do (arrestor holes etc). They don't have piston refinements like Tx's or LGU's etc.

The problem is not the firing cycle, its the mounting system, just rails with no arrestor facility. Any full power springer with just scope rails (no holes/block etc) will make a normal scope mount creep, it's just a matter of degree, refined guns will still induce creep, just not as pronounced.

Which is why I'm asking about drilling.
    The BTC mounts look worth a try because of the way they are built & the 6 bolt system would seem to imply much greater grip strength.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  9. shergar

shergar Busy Member

I find that mounts such as sportsmatch can be improved if the mating edge is, "sharpened" on a diamond stone to remove the rounding sometimes present, thereby assisting the clamp to scope rail.

John Harrigan likes this.
  10. robs5230

robs5230 леший

I understand the Webleys.
    I have a vulcan mk2 and I've just parted with a Brummie Longbow. Shaun made the guides for me for both.
    Neither have / had mounts fitted with any kind of arrestor system. Neither showed any scope creep.
    Both were fitted with 2pc mounts. Sportsmatch on the Longbow and Hawke on the Vulcan in the pic (now Sportsmatch though).
    Vulcan 2612.jpg walnut longbow.jpg

11. Rikimaru

Rikimaru Engaging Member

Nice guns. Sorry if I implied you didn't know Webley's, wasn't my intention. I was just trying to eliminate causes.
    Both my guns are civilised and I think from what has been discussed with everyone above that the mounts are the problem & yours & Shergar's posts have pretty much convinced me of that. I got the mounts with the guns & I don't think they are brilliant.

Obviously quite hard to tell as mounts look like mounts if you know what i mean.
    I am definitely going to invest in some BTC one piece mounts & hope that sorts it.

jb37 likes this.