1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Sciatica at the age of 24

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by Thom_hardy, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Thom_hardy

Thom_hardy Engaging Member

Yorkshire born and bred but residing in Belper, De
    So I've been suffering on and off for the last year, I'm a big lad, not fat, but not skinny, I've been weight training on and off (due to my back) for the last 2 years and it's a vicious circle! Do weights = sciatica goes away but then my back goes, stop weights = sciatica returns!!! And it's only when I sit down or get into bed

Any other suffers? Any remedies?!

I'm at work in 5 hours and can't sleep

2. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

My bro uses a chiropractor who has manipulated his spine and joints back into place after a decade of cycling 6000 miles a year - he swears by them although officially I don't think their methods are recognised by a lot of clinical commissioning groups.

As an aside, I fell in the week and hit my coccyx bone and it's now pressing on a nerve, finding it hard to do anything at the moment, even lie down. :(

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  3. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

Pilates, really strengthens the core which protects the back. I did it after spinal surgery and recommend both the benefits of core strength and being the only bloke in a room full of young ladies in lycra:D. Wear some baggy pants though otherwise some of the positions get a bit embarrassing.

4. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Get some cod liver oil in ye:)

5. Trampilot

Trampilot Keyboard Hero

+1 for Core exercises.

You need to address the cause not just the symptoms. I ripped my gluts a year ago and that pretty much crippled me for a while. Turns out the cause was my hamstrings being too tight. The only cure is to strengthen the core so that the muscle tension is balanced out.

Planks, dead lifts, farmers walks ... lots of good exercises which don't always need expensive weights.

6. resnikov

resnikov Busy Member

Been there, done that. I was the only bloke, it was great :D

Sounds funny but check your foot ware out. I have a bad back on and off and have been trying to do some running to get fitness levels up. Was getting leg and lower back pains again then someone said how old are your trainers? 7-8 years old I replied and they said get some new ones yours are the problem. I doubted this would help as they looked fine but was willing to try and got some new running shoes and the leg pains went away!

7. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

have u seen a quack? i had a herniated disc, had an op and im great now. few guys on here have had similar

8. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

It's sciatica now caused by what ?.
    i ruptured discs badly at 19 ,suffered every year multiple times .
    at 44 my life changed big time as a result of it giving up all together.
    i couldn't walk ,hold urine ,crap ,get a stiffie .
    had emergency op but it wasn't too sucsessful.

if I were 19 again IDE ask for an MRI, IDE take great care of my back too than I did.

core stability is the way to better back health.
    Don't let me worry you , but please take care of your back ,all those nerves pass through it and lead to other problems.

9. Trampilot

Trampilot Keyboard Hero

haha... know what you mean. Got back into running and my feet started to hurt. Thought it was just my feet getting sore. Then one day I was putting my old trainers on and my thumb went through the bottom of it! Oops.

Yes - do get good footwear - it will make a difference!

10. chevin

chevin Keyboard Hero

Feel for you mate, not nice at all, I had it years ago and if it's any consolation mine went away for whatever reason, fingers crossed it has not returned, hope your's goes, atb.

11. sunny

sunny Engaging Member

My missus suffers from it badly, she passed out whilst shopping about 10 years ago and landed arse first crushing a disk.
    She has had numerous steroid injections and epidurals but they are only short term remedies, best thing she has done is lose a stone and do light core exercises, now it rarely flares up.

Dan.

12. colinE

colinE Busy Member

last year I was off work for best part of a year with this I was walking down my mams front path when the pain struck it was that intense I blacked out landing in a heap on top of my left arm dislocating my shoulder, elbow and breaking my arm just below the elbow that badly I had to have a radial head replacement (plastic elbow joint) . I eventually got back to work and 6 mth later Iam off again with my back Iam going to back exercise classes once a week painful but seems to be working for me . there again it could be the 600mg of gabapentin 4 times a day I refused to go back on the tramadol it turned me into a zombie and I felt like a junkie coming off smack when I tried to stop taking them

13. milek

milek Honorary Member

I had a level 2 spinal fusion eight years ago. I still suffer chronic sciatica now on occasion but it's a world away from the pain I suffered pre-op for five years. Get a good surgeon; I had four operations on my spine before this surgeon took over and got it sorted. It really is one of the most miserable situations to be in and I hope you get it sorted op.

14. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

I've had back problems since I was about 17 which to have done nothing but get worse with age. Hope yours is more of a one off, or at least doesn't recur as much as mine does. I've had non specific lower back pain that has caused sciatica in my left leg previously. More recently I've been getting random stabbing pains in my lower back, sometimes triggered by something as simple as stepping on a large stone on a path.

I've done beginners yoga, exercises from the Mackenzie programme, pilates, just the machine section of the gym. All provided some relief but nothing seems to have ever cured it. Chiropractors and physio are about as effective, some relief but no cure.

Hope you have better luck than me.

15. Thom_hardy

Thom_hardy Engaging Member

Yorkshire born and bred but residing in Belper, De
    Thanks everyone! I'm booked into the dr's on Monday and have a consultation with a physio next week through work! Funny as soon as I mentioned bad back my manager went a shade of white and gave me occupational healths number faster than I don't know what!
    (One of the worlds leading engineering company's so don't like claims against them for injuries due to heavy lifting! Not that I ever would mind...)

So yeah! Hopefully will see what they have to say!

In the mean time I'm away on holiday with my old man fishing! With no signal of any sort! HEAVEN!

Atb
    Thom

16. doodsy

doodsy Donator

Had it bad for the last 3 weeks up now with it giving me jip down the left
    leg cant find any soddin relief all the quack gave me last time was a muscle
    relaxent hope you feel better soon bud

17. Trampilot

Trampilot Keyboard Hero

My wife works for a science company and had a training session from an external bod talking about occupational health etc. They said that "depression is the top reason for absence in work." One thing you should never do is tell a scientist something statistical without the data to back it up. The attendees disputed this "fact". By lunchtime they had found the correct data which showed that back pain was the top reason for absenteeism.

So many people suffer from it and it lasts for years and years. No wonder your boss went pale!

18. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

Sounds similar to what I had a few years back, the Chiropractor helped but it generally came back. I was working in construction so it was just a matter of time before I lifted something the wrong way, or too heavy.

I'm sorted now, I did a lot of light work with a gym ball & dumbells to build my core & took it from there. I steered clear of any running but consciously did a lot more walking.

It took about 18 months, I wasn't using heavy dumbells, just enough to know they were there.

One excercise the chiropractor showed me that helped with the Sciatica, lie completely flat on a hard surface. Pull right foot into groin & pull right knee towards chest as far as is comfortable, hold for 30 seconds. Repeat with left knee.
    Stay completely flat including head & obviously don't do it so hard it hurts, it's just for stretching stuff.

19. Trampilot

Trampilot Keyboard Hero

Just to illustrate how fickle the world of backs can be.... Last Tuesday I had a session with my trainer. Was stiff as I was going a variety of stretchy squat stuff. Finished the sessions stiff but good. Wednesday I played badminton. Felt fine. Then gradually as the days progressed I became worse and worse. This morning felt like I'd been kicked in the neck and back.

I think its the badminton. I play quite hard and fast so now might be the time to stop!

20. manchesterandy

manchesterandy Engaging Member

Hi I'm 28, been suffering with sciatica since I was 15 (caused by jumping off large bridges into water for fun in summer time) that was the initial cause of the trapped nerve. Doctors do naff all. Best exercise for me is to lay on my back knees up with my heel almost touching my bum and bend my legs to the left as far over as they'll go without moving my torso, then do it to the right. 10 mins of that = instant pain relief for about 2 hours. Failing that try cannabis oil, it works for most.