1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Sako Finfire 11 .17hmr ??

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by steve54, Jan 10, 2018.

1. steve54

steve54 Donator

Hi folks.
    Would like to hear your thoughts please.
    Have got a slot on my ticket for a second .17hmr, - to use as a dedicated NV rifle for rabbits, and possibly fox.
    My present .17hmr is a CZ, which I have had for a couple of years, and does a good job using 17gr Hornaday V-max.
    I have seen a Sako Finfire 11 .17hmr at my gun dealer, :rolleyes: - and was hoping to hear your thoughts on the Finfire, when compared to another CZ??
    With nearly £300 difference in price (new), I want to find out if the Finfire will be worth the extra.
    I would be looking to put either, my Pulsar N750, or maybe my Ward 800s on the rifle I use for night shooting.
    Cheers.
    Steve

2. tombillings916

tombillings916 Donator

The Finnfire 2 is really a Sako Quad with a different barrel and not worthy of the name Finnfire or the extra £300, just a marketing ploy, I'd strick with another CZ if you're happy with your other one.

metalman likes this.
  3. rich79

rich79 Donator

As above, also you're straying into Anschutz territory for that money which are worth it, Savage make some nice hmr's if you don't want to spend too much.

4. steve54

steve54 Donator

Cheers for that. :up:

5. steve54

steve54 Donator

Cheers.:up: Have looked at the Savage .17hmr 93R17.- Any negative thoughts on this model??

6. rich79

rich79 Donator

They're very basic tubular actions but nothing wrong with that, great choice of finishes & stocks, they're a bit like an American glammed up CZ.

7. metalman

metalman Keyboard Hero

If buying new CZ comes with a 3 yr warranty

8. Readie

Readie Proud Member

From a marketing point tho they could offer a 10 year warranty as there is nothing to go wrong. They are totally bomb proof

9. steve54

steve54 Donator

Seen this at my local dealer...S/H
    SAVAGE 93R17 .17HMR
    [​IMG]

10. rich79

rich79 Donator

Think they're about £600+/- new, the mod is decent, you'd have to go & fondle it to see if it fits you, availability of spare mags is the biggie, you might not be firing off loads of rounds but out in the field s**t happens like dropped mags.

11. gasman

gasman Powder makes it louder

Must admit I’d go for the Sako over the CZ any day tbh, forget the cost, just a better gun

12. steve54

steve54 Donator

Well folks, did the deal today at my local dealership.
    [​IMG]

Looked at a second hand Weihrauch 60J and a new CZ 455.
    In the end , i'm hoping I made the right choice.
    [​IMG]

I opted for the CZ 455 American in .17hmr, with a Sak mod and a rail (in case I want to put the Pulsar N750 on)
    The CZ just felt right. 3yrs warranty, and with a lovely stainless barrel ,with green synthetic stock [​IMG]

Picture sourced from another dealership.

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. tombillings916

tombillings916 Donator

My mate has the Weihrauch 60J a fine rifle let down by an appalling magazine that constantly jams up that many times he's been on the verge of chucking it in the bin despite constant cleaning and TLC so I think you've made a very wise choice.

14. steve54

steve54 Donator

Cheers for that.
    I did like the 60j, but it looked well used, and it's history was a bit unclear.
    The CZ just looked great, and was a pleasure to shoulder.:D

15. Readie

Readie Proud Member

Good choice on the CZ
    Really like the look of that stock and stainless combo

16. happyguy

happyguy Donator

i went cz in 17hmr and sako finnfire ll in .22, both very accurate guns but the sako wins it for me

17. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Sako are Finnish made, but have since been bought out by Berreta, some say that the golden age for Sako was before the takeover. Tikka are also Finnish made with Sako being the higher end product.

Hth

John

18. gunnery

gunnery Engaging Member

i have owned the sako finnfire the mrk 1 with bull barrel very accurate in .22lr they are sort after rifles i got £700 for mine i now own a .22lr CZ 452 american walnut accuracy no different from finnfire i have put the CZ trigger kit on it and polishing the bolt rails.

Disco_richy likes this.
  19. Disco_richy

Disco_richy Engaging Member

The only .22 I'd pay a premium for is as gunnery says, a 'Mk1' Finnfire, i.e. a Sako P94S. I've shot 4 or 5, a couple of them VERY old, all absolute belters. If my Anshutz didnt shoot well I'd find a mint P94 in a flash. The FinnfireII isnt worthy of the name - or price premium over a CZ etc.

Talking of which, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with your 455; I sold my 455 HMR recently after a lot of hmming and arrring. Great rifle, bomb proof, lovely little action, lots of bits for them if you want to tinker. The 17 hornet itch got too great in the end though, spurred on by the rising cost, availability and again recently somewhat inconsistency of HMR ammo .

metalman likes this.
  20. ukglyn

ukglyn Donator

A useful thread for me, ive been trying to work out if the finfire is worth the extra as a CZ as well, only difference is I am looking at .22LR