1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

s510 versus hw100

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by slugslug, Jan 30, 2014.

1. slugslug

slugslug Member

well guys ive had an s200 and s410 in the past so am familiar with AA pcp's ......so I reckon I have a fair idea of what the 510 will be like in terms of quality, I think I will like the biathalon cocking lever and shrouded barrel, and the stocks are always lovely on the AA range but its not regulated [so a curve to live with or get regulated]...... now then the hw100 always seems to get good reviews , again has a biatholon lever........not so keen on their stocks [by comparison] but has a 14 shot mag [versus 10 for the 510] which makes up for it......its already regulated obviously........ so that aside, what are the pro's / con's of these 2 [cant decide myself]

2. Stokie99

Stokie99 Busy Member

hi mate aa510 are a great rifle but for a superbly built rifle its the hw100 every time ,well machined quality that will last.:D

3. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

The 'HW' gives you free membership in to the 'I own a pig ugly airgun & I am proud of it' club. I should know, been a member for two years now. Mind the pig has not missed a beat, and I know when I take her from the cabinet for some vermin control, that she will perform just like the very first day I took her out. just like my Toyota. KB1

4. Tim_B

Tim_B Pro Poster

The HW cocking mech is smoother than the S510...if you can get over the looks, HW everytime.

cheers
    Tim

5. slugslug

slugslug Member

wow, I was expecting a few more fans of the 510..........at least a 50-50 kinda vote..........so far its looking like yet another bleddy weihrauch is on the cards [already have a 97 and 98] lol was hoping to get something different for a change lol ........... now what about if the 510 was regged [seen quality looking regs on the bay for 80 ish bucks] ......... would that even the gap? or still all in favout of the ugly duckling with a one mag shot count [ok so I exaggerated] ;) ?

6. nick2303

nick2303 Engaging Member

i looked at each 2nd hand at the same time..

loved the look of the thumbhole stock on the 100...

but bought the 510 cos it just felt nicer to hold and cock... and felt steadier to hold for some reason... and i really wanted a thumbhole stock but didnt get it..

i shoot mine from 190 to 100 bar without any visible power curve... not got a chrono.. but as far as i have experienced it puts pellet number 60 in a string in the same place as pellet number 1...

7. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

people seem to get hung up on reg'd and un reg'd truth is shooting within the rifles sweet spot 120-170 bar my old s400 classic was bang on every shot. was light as well and actually had a simplistic beauty to it.

8. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

IMO in a nutshell, the HW100 is technically superior in pretty much every aspect, while the S510 has better aesthetics and handling..

9. milegajo

milegajo Busy Member

Cloverleaf placed the nail, gripped the hammer and by golly did he smack it on the head.

When weihrauch decided to make a pcp, in keeping with their springers, they didn't mess about. They thought about it and got it right first time.

10. slugslug

slugslug Member

I know I know about the reg versus sweet-spot........ I had to live in the "sweet spot" with my old 410 etc........ but as im a perfectionist I would simply have to buy and fit a reg if I got the 510...... that said seems like the hw100 has a lot of respect on here...........curious as to how many hw100 owners/lovers have actually handled/shot the 510 for a 'real' comparison ? ........... I guess until AA build the ftp900 with a 10 shot mag [dream rifle/combo] its all looking very very weihrachy for my future lol

11. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I looked at both these before buying a HW100kt. I also have a regulated S410 and decided that the HW was a better gun although I much prefer the carbine version with the thumbhole stock as it seems (to me) to handle better. The HW magazines are easier to load, hole more pellets and won't double load either. The HW comes with their excellent silencer and is quiter than the 510 in standard form.
    You really need to try all the variants before making up your mind.

12. Egg

Egg Major Poster

To me the 510's cocking mechanism felt like a monkey-metal copy of the 100. The 100's rock-solid and feels like it could operate forever.

Aesthetics - meh! The HW thumbhole stock's a gene splicing experiment between a floorboard and a paddle but like the action it's built to last. The sporter stock's pretty tasty.

13. Hunter 001

Hunter 001 Donator

Never had s510 so not sure but comparing my HW100 with my s410 Hw100 wins in all aspects.

14. critter

critter Donator

As you've already owned the 410 you already know what a 510 would be like as basically the same apart from cocking mechanism, They don't need to be regged as they are very good as standard so a waste of money in my opinion. The Hw 14 shot mag system in flawless and the gun itself is a good alrounder which can out perform some with twice the price tag! The simple question is what fits you best out of your choice? As good as the HW100 is I find the S400 fits me better.

15. bobby123

bobby123 Member

I prefer the AA 510, the HW is a lot heavier

16. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

Tried the 510 . Tried the HW100 the 510 felt like a cheap copy . In fact also makes my daystate rifle feel a little agricultural :rolleyes: From a Grumpy old sod that has owned over 60 fire arms and shotguns most as tools off the trade ( ex contract hunter not hit man or military :rolleyes: ) and a dozen or so air rifles the only rifle i never sold is my Mk1 HW 77 never fails simple :up: HW 100 thumb hole stock FUGLY sporter stock functional . i think the argument ends because there is no need to mod reg fiddle tune or tamper with a 100 Does what it says on the box :up: only reason Grumps does not get rid off the daystate and buy one is because its British and ze bloody Germons bombed my aunties chip shop ( true fact doodle bug Eston NE England ont tinterweb somewhere )

17. slugslug

slugslug Member

hmmm.............. *wanted hw100* ;) ;)

18. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

You'll quite often hear 'the HW100 is much heavier than --------' but this is often not the case. The latest models have apparently lost some weight and it will also vary depending on which model you're looking at and I believe that the HW100 weight is quoted with the (supplied) silencer. Most people then add all manner of extra kit to their rifle pushing the weight up even more.
    It's more important how the weight is distributed as that affects speed of handling as well as general comfort. For me the HW100kt felt much better than the competition or the full length versions. Since this is a very subjective thing it is essential to actually try the guns yourself before deciding.
    Before actually trying the thumbhole rifle I had dismissed the idea of buying one but when I handled one it felt right. I don't think it's ugly, PCPs will never have classic rifle looks unless their performance is severely compromised but I'm happy with the kt - I don't like the look of rifles with enormous buddy bottles hung underneath as I feel it makes the rifle look very ill-proportioned. A higher shot count isn't high on my list of priorities as I'm quite happy to put an air bottle in my car boot.
    I do quite like the 510 but given the choice again it would still be HW, every time.

19. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Of the two I'd say probably the best option.

The 100's a heavy gun when compared to the 510 but if you're not a wee guy then it's a non issue (wasn't for me and I'm no Charles Atlas).

Shot counts roughly comparable (510 a few shots more maybe? Pitch in people if you know).

14 shots in 1 magazine from the 100, no issues with double loading, single shot adapter works a treat, cocking mechanism's slick and solid. I'd get a 100 every time and as I've said before, if I ever decide to go back to PCP's there's a better than evens chance It'd be an HW100. When I owned one I just did not miss the target with it.

The thing is, when you ask any airgunners what's the best between x & y gun you'll get polarity of opinion; as soon you get into "Which PCP?" country....... things can get even crazier. There's strong fans of each gun (please, . - no more R10 v's 100 threads!!) but the only sure way you can make that decision is to shoulder your shortlist a good few times and then decide.

20. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

My son has owned a 510 since they first came out, it was low on power and went back a few times, he loved the gun and got cheesed off a bit. He said "dad, sort it out" so i removed the AT, adjusted it and it's never missed a beat since.

It's very consistent at it's optimum fill pressure, obviously it would be better with a reg, but it doesn't suffer too much for not having a reg.

So a very good, reliable decent rifle but, not imo as good as the HW100 ;)