1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

RWS Excalibre

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by cloverleaf, Feb 1, 2014.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I was admiring the condition of this rifle the other day, before later learning that it was for sale :p

Despite the fact that it's RH (I'm not), .22 calibre and that I already have too many rifles ( :rolleyes: ), I couldn't resist..

It's been stripped and cleaned; the muzzle energy had to be adjusted on the striker stroke after few shots over the chrono showed it to be a little naughty and I ran out of adjustment on the port. It's now doing a nice, slick 11.4ftlb with AA Field :)

IMO the Excalibre is certainly one of the best of the FX Axsor variants. For those who don't know it's basically an RWS-branded FX Axsor in an elegant Turkish Walnut sporter stock. There are a few peculiarities to the rifle - the mags are 7 shot (one of the usual eight chambers is blanked off) and my casual assumption that I could simply use Axsor mags was soon shot down when I found they were different.

The mags are exclusive to the Excalibre and I only had one; fortunately ASI had a few so I bought a couple.

I fitted the 'scope earlier and took it up the club - it's printing maybe 8mm c-c at 20yds off a rest, which is fine as I won't be using it for anything serious.

Anyway, a few pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope we like :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Gat Man, talent, Robgriff1 and 9 others like this.
  2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Stunning!

Lovely slim lines, and uncluttered:up:

3. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Wow,Looks great! and very nice pictures too.

4. JD

JD Donator

The best looking sporting pcp by far, some of these rifle's were fitted walnut stocks that far out weighed the price of the rifle. I see it has the manders silencer fitted.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  5. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

They sure don't make them like that anymore.

Inmo I would put these head and shoulders above similar current hunting pcps on the market.

I have shot countless squirrels pigoens and rabbits with varients of this model over the years and its lovely to see a nice example like that, If I picked it up it would be like shaking hands with an old friend,;)

Maybe you haven't found its ideal diet Cloverleaf because I had one that you could get as serious as you like with, had many a day with over 30 woodies with it and others were using them slightly modified on the target scene, I even got a cs800 on mine when custom stock actually did them for these, and a few other custom bits I made like straight bladed trigger and custom built in silencer, it would print groups 8mm centre to centre at more like 35yrds.

Try AA field 5.51 and Accupells, but the soft AA pellets are easier to push home with the bolt and don't strain the probe, it may be worth running a brush down the barrel as it comes off easy enough.

But I love to see the unmodified classic lines, of a mint example like that, it looks to have seen very little use.

I remember buying mine new nearly twenty years ago at 17-18 yrs old and rushing to the woods to try it out, it didn't disappoint back then and still doesn't.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  6. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

A pretty unique rifle for your collection there. :up:

7. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Pull through will do the same job,safer and without the need to remove the barrel

8. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 bell target champion

nice !!!!!!! so when are you getting rid of it ???

9. cloverleaf

Cheers - that's what drew me to it in the first place :)

I think so too :) The original package came with the Manders mod, RWS case and two mags; unfortunately the case wasn't present but I might pick one up if I get the chance. The mod does the job OK - no doubt a Weihrauch alternative would be better but I'm not fussed tbh..

Thanks - regarding accuracy I just stuck some Fields through it as most things seem to like them. I agree that the grouping should perhaps be a bit better than it is; I'll maybe give the barrel a clean at some point. I'd certainly like a setback trigger for this one (if I can find / make one) as (thanks to the rake on the grip) the reach is a little on the long side.

Rest assured I'll be looking to keep it in it's minty condition :)

Thanks - there's the "c" word again; having just bought a rifle purely on aesthetics and rarity it's getting harder to deny that I'm becoming a bit of a collector :p

Yup - I've got a decent synthetic pull through I'll use at some point :)

Thanks - not any time soon ;)

10. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Lovely rifle, more should own these and there variants, is the blank space on the mag so you know when your empty?
    If only is was a carbine haha

11. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

I found aa to be best in my fx2000, one or 2 things that I found effecting accuracy in mine was,

Grub screw in silencer adapter/fill port was slightly too long and caused minor clipping (or it was the wrong screw heh engraver :D)

Also I found in the hammer spring/piston head area the spring/components can catch on any rough surfaces causing power variations.

The pistol grip does look more horizontal than on my Fx? Were these rebranded axsors or 2000 variants? As I thought axsors has a matte finish?

And how do you do these bright photo's!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  12. cloverleaf

Thanks for the pointers - I hadn't considered an issue with the muzzle assy screw; will give that a look when I get 5 minutes :)

I have noticed that mine isn't as consistent as it might be (I think it gave around 7 or 8ft/s spread over 10 shots, while my S410 typically gives around 3-4ft/s). I'll give some thought to cleaning up the striker assy; however I don't want to remove the anodising inside the striker carrier by polishing it. Might give the striker head a bit of a polish if I have cause to remove it in future, though..

Yup; the rake in the pistol grip is decidely "sporting" - in use it's a little like aiming a broomstick down range if you're used to guns with more upright, target style grips :p

Strictly speaking the rifle isn't a rebranded anything; it follows largely the same design and format as many other FX rifles of the period (and shares many of the same parts) however some things are unique - for example the mags and associated geometries in the breech block. I think the idea of the blanked hole is to let you know when you're out and prevent you firing a "dry" shot by mistake; that said they are a bit of a pain - I might (reversibly) mark the one original mag to aid fitment to the rifle in the correct place; so that the blanked chamber is reached at the end.

AFAIK there were quite a few Axsor-based rifles released by FX; the Webley Axsor, FX2000 and Lite-W8, Logun Axsor, RWS Excalibre, FX Tarantula (USA), and a few simply badged as "Axsor".

I've seen Axsors with both matt and gloss finishes - the original Webley ones were gloss; as was the FX2000. I think the main difference between the FX2000 and Axsor was the muzzle assy (M10x1 female moderator thread on the Axsor, 1/2" UNF Male on the FX2000) plus the addition of a pressure gauge on the FX2000.

I think the earlier guns are probably the best; I'm currently working on a Logun Axsor and it appears obviously cheapened (typical Logun :rolleyes:); it has a thinner barrel, matt finish, simplified (although potentially preferable) rear-bolt assy and poor-quality stock.

There are many subtle differences between all these variants; including gauge fitment, muzzle assy fitment and type, finish, stock material, mag geometry.. I'm going to try and keep a record of all the ones I see in an effort to better understand their differences :)

Finally the photos are achieved by using a half-decent DSLR with flash bounced off the ceiling and a coloured gel used to better match the flash output colour temperature to that of the ambient lighting in the room where the stuff was shot. The background is just a couple of bits of (very long-serving but now somewhat tatty) white A0 card. Photoshop is used to blow out the highlights (background), and to tweak colour balance and tonality.

The process works pretty well for guns as they're usually quite dark - it would be a different story if I was trying to shoot white or transparant subjects!

13. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

This was my original old Axsor I kept that gun longer than any pcp Ive had, we used to hunt squirrels and rabbits together, best handling airgun Ive ever used, light as a feather.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  14. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Very nice :up:

15. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

this (fx) was the first rifle i stripped to degree, and its very easy (im sure you know) i'd guess it could be any burrs or rough egdes on the hammer/cocking assembly that may be causing irregular movement. possibly even the surfaces the hammer spring touches could be rough or even the spring could be incorrect. i had to buy 3 from chambers/jk until i got ones that both improved cocking and gave correct power. my piston/hammer is lighter than standard as this reduced the power in mine.
    tom

i have a spare piston head and a couple of springs that dont work well in mine if you need them to try (spares prices are ridiculous)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  16. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I refinished the cs800 stock and stippled it after I had owned it for about 10yrs, I also had airmasters 88 make me a built in silencer by cutting the barrel from the back end and reporting to maintain its choke the silencer made the gun no longer it was made from a solid billet of aluminium and anodised, it ran internal springs and baffle set up, the charge was over £200 at the time gulp!

I also made up a shroud set up that had a 1/2" unf thread in the end in case you wanted to make it even quieter still, I made the slightly set back brass triggers on my dinner break at work from brass, very easily done.

This gun in 12 years from new only ever needed the one way return pip replacing on the filler, that's it very reliable, I had days in the Yorkshire dales shooting rabbits and squirrels with it I wont forget.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  17. Alexdermietzel

Alexdermietzel Keyboard Hero

Nice! It's in lovely condition. I've always liked the design of this gun, I like the webley fx2000 too.

18. ashpearse

ashpearse Newbie

really nice :) a friend who I go out on my perm with has one and its a gorgeous looking tool! I found the forestock a little too narrow for me (aa s410 user <3) but realy well balanced, he has both a 7 and 8 shot mag for his, unsure where the 8 shot came from but maybe something worth looking into..

19. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

try an fx2000 the forestock is wider than most and it is very comfortable. other wise very similar to the rws

20. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I was going to say lol fx2000 got the widest for end ever, bit like Ronny colemans fore arms