1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Roland has come to visit my garden, operation ratimus killimus.

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by brettguise, Feb 27, 2012.

1. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

Well I was cleaning my chickens yesterday and the dog started marking behind a propped up slab to the side of the coop. I moved it to reveal a mound of dirt that had been dug. My garden steps up and behind the coop is two stacked gravel boards in concrete posts that line the garden and over the top is the higher ground. Underneath the gravel board a tunnel had been dug up into the higher dirt.

I instantly got the peanut butter out and spread some on a rock inside the coop at about 6:00pm. By 8:00 it had been devoured. This confirmed that there was something eating my bait and as the run on the side of the coop is enclosed it was getting in from a small gap it had dug behind the run. I popes in to get the gun and a little more peanut butter. After loading up getting a chair and moving outside I walked back up to the coop to rebait. That's when I saw the beast with my bare eyes. It ducked under te gap ran along the back behind the slab and up the chute it has dug under the gravel board.

Ok I'd been spotted but I baited anyway. After sitting outside for an hour and a half I could tell he wouldn't show with the light or knowing I was close by. He lived another night. Now I'm deciding my next plan of action. I'm either going to bait for one or two nights leaving the red lamp on so he gets used to it ready for another night or sometime today I'm going to block up the hole and dig him out the other side for the terrier to polish him off.

Lets decide the fate of Rolannd!

2. steevie dan

steevie dan Pro Poster

and his family.

3. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

Yh shooting would prob take to long a good dig should solve it.

4. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Engaging Member

Had the same problem myself this winter. It seems the more my dogs and I kill, the more come in. They're getting bigger too.

5. nobbybonez

nobbybonez Busy Member

keep doing the peanut butter at 6pm for a few nights, leave the light on. rattus rattus will son come back regular for a free meal...

6. Robthekeeper

Robthekeeper Junior Member

Just do the job quickly as possible set the terrier in if hes been used for it before

7. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

Haven't used the terrier before she's still a pup really but she keeps marking I'm sure she will have it. After another two hours of no show and even more dirt being dug out from under gravel board my mates coming round Wednesday afternoon to assist with the digging. Two shovels and a jack should do the trick! I'll report what we get.

8. Irvysan

Irvysan Posting Addict

Why is Roland still breathing?

9. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Have you got a smokey petrol engine chainsaw / lawn mower that you could fix a bit of pipe to it's exhaust . Pipe down the hole rats flush have a beer no digging. No more Roland and his mates.

10. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

There's only one hole it seems would they definately have more than one? I can't find it at all. I'd like to try smoking them but haven't had time with work to look for some pipe to attach to exhaust. Im off Wednesday so this will get sorted!

11. kenhawker

kenhawker Honorary Member

Ive got the same problem mate, the whole estate has them.
    My peanut butter has a blue additive aswell. And they have normal food aswell, followed buy a lead flavoured crosman premier.

ken

12. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

If its just one hole this can often be a bolt hole away from the main nest. You often get the single holes in pheasant pens they dig the hole in the pen so if disturbed while feeding they have an escape. Your rats main nest could be somewhere else.

13. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

The one hole runs along the back wall and under the pen into the food. When I caught the rat he ran along the back and into the hole. There may be more holes along the underside I just haven't noticed any. Ill have a good feel tomorrow along the bottom of the gravel boards and see if any holes are present. There's a lot of dirt been extracted from this one hole a good two buckets or more full. Literally took them a day to move in and the terrier was all over the hole.

Lets hope its not just a bolt hole or ill be digging for nothing. I have a trap down after last nights failed attempt at shooting it.

14. Chise

Chise Newbie

Rat trap is the answer, no digging, no messing around with exhaust pipes, no sitting there wasting your time for hour and a half. Bait it up put it by the hole Ratty put his head in and it comes down and smashes his head in in job done reset for the next one.

15. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

Oh yeh forgot about this. Rolands long gone! Dug him out with the aid of a friend and my trusty jack. Shes only 12 months old and has never been ratting she worked really well. Behind the gravels boards was the dirt that separated the two sections of the garden and on the higher bit was stones on a membrane sheet to stop the weeds.

We had to dig where the stones was so raked them back and pulled the membrane back revealing one or two holes underneath. The dog started sniffing and we took to the hole it sniffed. Plunging the spade in revealed that the ground was hollow and a few tunnels were present. After the dog started marking we followed her nose.

I saw the little blighter run up to the one hole see us lot digging away and go back under. Wrong move for roland. Within 5 minutes we had uncovered a buried 2x2 slab. It had dug underneath it and made a little hidey hole. The dog started growling. We cleared the slab and loosened it with the spade. Under the slab goes my Jack with Roland firm in its mouth. A few shakes and he was dead. We continued digging a little more but it was clear there was nothing else. The dog stopped marking and we filled the hole back in. It was odd to find one but im sure there will be more somewhere else but we have started moving the food inside at night and a few traps are down.