1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Rm8 Leaking Regulator

Discussion in 'Technical' started by UKRodgers, Oct 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. UKRodgers

UKRodgers Member

Hello, a friend of mine has an RM8. It has served him well and plenty of rabbits have gone to rabbit heaven after a meeting with his rifle. However, it has started to leak air from the reg and after a few days, it is empty. He uses a pump so it's a real pain to keep pumping it up from empty. Is there anyone around that services or repairs these regulators? If so how much and how long does it normally take? Thanks in advance.

2. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 Forum Nice Guy - Pepe Le Pew

As far as I’m aware the RM8 doesn’t have a regulator.....

It will be a seal else where for sure. Maybe @cloverleaf as he’s not too far away?

cloverleaf likes this.
  3. Jeffsy

Jeffsy BASC Member

4. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

The RM8 does have a reg, although I'm yet to be convinced by how capable it is.

If it's leaking from the reg it's probably from the vent hole so a piston O-ring. I'm buggered for facilities currently but if it's just a strip and seal chance I might be able to help.. although I'm a fair way from middlesex.

I don't have the facility to set up the reg pressure on these guns though as I've not had any demand to warrant getting the appropriate apparatus made, although if the regs are anything like those used in the "Hammerli" (also Umarex) AR20 the only way to adjust output pressure is to shim them, which would be laborious and hence expensive. As such the best way to go might be to replace the seals and carry on regardless if the gun continues to function acceptably.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  5. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 Forum Nice Guy - Pepe Le Pew

Jeffsy likes this.
  6. Redlion55

Redlion55 Newbie

Hi all, Just to add an update to the leaking regulator issue (yes it does have a regulator). Bought mine new in March 2016 and only use in my garden (big garden) for defence against pests so probably had less than 1k pellets through it.
    Mine started leaking from the vent hole last week, in a call to Bagnalls I was told that it was not repairable and could only purchase a new regulator as part of the complete assembly between the receiver and bottle, cost £280. Found a local air gun smith who said he had a few before with the same problem which he was able to fix by replacing a seal or two, however walther have stopped supplying the seals which made the job a little harder as a compatible seal had to be identified and sourced. A week later I now have the rifle back fixed at a cost of £65. So the regulator can be repaired. Hope this is helpful for anyone facing the same problem.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    UKRodgers, talent, sharpsman and 2 others like this.
  7. Brooksy

Brooksy Posting Addict

That's a pretty poor attitude from Walther, £280.00 is all the RM is worth second hand!

8. Lord Williams

Lord Williams Member

Hi guys/gals, I've just joined the forum with this exact issue. Air leaking from the regulator vent hole. I've stripped mine down and the washers inside seem to be randomly stacked. Are the meant to sit inside each other or face opposite? ie dish in dish or dish opposite dish?

9. Redlion55

Redlion55 Newbie

The washers are stacked in a set order, if you are going to disassemble these you must make a note of the order and orientation so they can be re-assembled to give the same force. If you are replacing the o-rings inside the regulator it would be very helpful to other if you could post the sizes required, and a detailed "how to" would be extremely helpful to others as it did not seem obvious to me how the regulator was removed due to the apparently captive bolts that hold it to the receiver. Cheers.

10. Lord Williams

Lord Williams Member

The washers were all exactly the same, about 8.
    I put them back in alternating the way they're dished. This was how I found them. The O ring on the centre rod is shot. I've called my local gun shop and they've quoted £150 trade price for the regulator. Seems steep for such a simple part. Looks like a simple O ring replacement will fix it. 20190918_164844.jpg

Redlion55 and sharpsman like this.
  11. Bozz

Bozz Engaging Member

Hi there if you go onto bagnell and Kirkwood site they do a complete o ring set for the RM8 , they also show you an exploded diagram of the regulator it's on the general exploded file drawing that you have to down load to see very clear. Look under spares by manufacturer and you should find it. I hope this helps Graham

talent, The oil man and Redlion55 like this.
  12. Lord Williams

Lord Williams Member

15688778290978645140816014079342.jpg
    Right. Found the offending O ring. I'm wondering if the O ring kits cover the regulator as well?

15688779510393525290425332618812.jpg

talent and Redlion55 like this.
  13. Redlion55

Redlion55 Newbie

I take it that the offending o-ring is the small black one shown in the second image above.
    In the conversations that I had with the gunsmith who fixed my regulator he made it clear that the offending o-ring was not available as a separate spare part from Walther or its agents. That situation may have changed in the last 4-6 months since my experience and it would be extraordinary if Walther were to maintain their very unhelpful stance of preventing any maintenance on the regulator as it is the case any regulator will need maintenance at some time. Well done and thanks for your helpful info on this as it would seem that this issue is a flaw in the design of this otherwise very capable air rifle.

14. Lord Williams

Lord Williams Member

I've ordered the £13 complete set of O rings from Ebay. The shop said the regulator O ring is included and that mine had squared off with use. I sent a photo to be clear that the O ring I wanted was included. They're available from most online 0 ring suppliers, £2.80 plus vat for 2.

15. Bozz

Bozz Engaging Member

Hi if you need the belville washers then Robert Lane Regulators stock them for I think £11.95 per set but it doesn't tell you the order of stacking. Hope all goes ok Graham

16. Lord Williams

Lord Williams Member

The washers seem ok Graham, just a bit concerned about the part that stops the flow of air, seems to be a white nylon insert that presses onto the inlet nozzle. Looks a bit rough. I'll see if the O ring sorts the issue first.

17. Lord Williams

Lord Williams Member

Bagnall and Kirkwood O ring kit has arrived. The one circled is what I needed to rebuild the regulator. Just need to wait 3 hours for the thread seal to cure to see if the leak is sorted.
    I put the spring back together like this (())(()) as this seems to be the consensus across the forums.
    20190921_112002.jpg

I shall report back........

UKRodgers and sharpsman like this.
  18. Lord Williams

Lord Williams Member

So, the spring set like this (())(()) was a no go. Wouldn't fire and completely locked the regulator up. So I discharged the 230 bar tank (slowly) and configured the spring like so ()()()() and now works a treat. No leaks and bang on accuracy. Happy chappy.

UKRodgers, sharpsman and bobbydazzler like this.
  19. RoyBert

RoyBert Newbie

As a Newbie I joined the forum with this 'leaking' problem and find the answers above very informative but before I can do anything I need to access the regulator. I would be grateful if anyone would explain how to do that so I can replace what is possibly a damaged O ring.

20. UKRodgers

UKRodgers Member

Thanks for all the information here. I didn't get any notifications that there were any posts so I thought nobody knew how to do it. Off to tell my mate how to fix his. Thanks for your input chaps. May all your pellets go where you want them to :);)