1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Riflescope - When Set Out Of Perfectly Central Alignment.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Roger Wikes, Mar 17, 2019 at 3:37 PM.

1. Roger Wikes

Roger Wikes Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of any negative effects if a scope is used out of optical centred alignment.
    For example can parallex or depth of field etc be more derogatory to the shooter? if only in extreme out of alignment.
    Thank you
    Roger

2. milek

milek Honorary Member

Never bothered me and until the scope manufacturers recommend adjustable mounts it won't.

pbrown likes this.
  3. robs5230

robs5230 Pro Poster

Have you experienced something to make you ask this? Or
    Do you feel you're approaching the extreme adjustment of your windage or elevation ?

Or are you asking relative to the Optical centering thread ?

Optical centering of the reticle is just to set the ret in the centre of the travel to make sure you have the best start. I've only ever done this a few times on getting a new scope. But...

Even when you optically centre a scope, quality, fit and fitting of mounts will cause most problems.
    1.Cheap mounts are rarely a perfectly matched pair. This will affect how the whole scope lies in relation to the barrel - Buy quality mounts
    2.Scope grooves on some rifles are not perfect. This again affects how the scope body lies in relation to the barrel - For me, I'd return the rifle if I knew this was the cause.
    3.Mounts are often used by the shooter that aren't suitable for the groove type and width. Affects how scope lies in relation to barrel. - Ensure you buy mounts that accommodate the groove width.
    4.If mounts are not tightened sequentially the same applies. Defferent tensions of mount bolts can dramatically affect zero. - Install mounts carefully.
    Any of the above scenarios can mean you may be finding you have to make a lot of adjustment to zero. As long as you'e eliminated all those points above as best you can, don't worry. SCopes have this adjustment and its there to use. As long as the mounts are good, properly fitted and there are no obvious faults with the rifle itself, it won't have any impact on your shooting and you're unlikely to come near the end of your adjustment.

Some barrels are "said" to have droop. I've never had any issues with this in over 35 years.
    I've also never had to shim a scope, neither have I ever had to resort to adjustable mounts.
    Of course, scope can also be faulty. Harsh recoil can dislodge lenses or wire reticles.

If you are having issues, I hope I've given you some things to check and eliminate as causes.
    If you're just the inquisitive type, I hope I've set your mind at ease.
    Rob

4. Roger Wikes

There is a thread going at present, I asked the same within this thread, because the tread is about zeroing a scope, then the logical need ( unless you shim or have adjusting mounts).
    It is weather there is an absolute need to initially zero a scope spot on ( in its own right before the sight is aligned for a shooters specific need).
    ie more or less Zeroed will do cos you are likely to change the scope anyway.
    UNLESS by mechanically adjusting the scope one is inducing subtle anomalies such as parallex or offset focusing crispness ( apparent depth of field). Sounds like I am a bit fussy, but in my now 6 months of airifle shooting I realise aI should not assume or take for granted any technicalities.
    Thank you
    Roger

5. milek

milek Honorary Member

I only get worked up by cant, so much so I purchased a scope levelling system for £80. I have never suffered parallax issues or any less an image due to not centering a scope.

6. Roger Wikes

I guess I am not making myself clear, there may be errors that we may not see(are subtle/we live with/even more subtle with better quality glass,) but have an effect on what we see thru the scope.
    I guess I need an answer from a optics expert.
    Sorry if I seem nit picking, but a technically correct No or Yes would make any previous blogs on the subject more or less relevant.
    Ta
    Frustratingly yours
    Roger

7. jesim1

jesim1 Keyboard Hero

It generally will not matter on quality scopes, but may be more apparent quicker on cheaper scope with poorer tolerances and repeatability. This is one of the areas you pay for in a scope but don't immediately "see". If you can though, I'd always recommend using a scope comfortably within it's optical limits and avoid the extremes of it, if your at the extremes then you need different mounts or shims in place to reduce this.

James

Roger Wikes likes this.
  8. robs5230

robs5230 Pro Poster

Simple answer - No it wont matter (as long as you don't find yourself at the end of one of the adjustment travels).

9. Roger Wikes

Big Thank YOU
    Roger

10. Blue BSA

Blue BSA Engaging Member

Yes cant annoys me more than anything. I looked at one of those kits. But I thought I was just feeding the paranoia.......saying that I buying a new rest-stand and laser level.......so I will probably be joining you soon in getting a kit. :)

11. milek

milek Honorary Member

It took three lads at the club to tell me I was canting and every miss was at 10 o'clock so something was happening. As soon as they pointed it out I fixed the problem. That Wheeler Professional mounting kit is the best £80 I spent.

Blue BSA likes this.
  12. Blue BSA

Blue BSA Engaging Member

I don't think many realise how much canting, um, impacts (!) on accuracy. It wasn't the cost of the kit more I thought I was getting carried away, if you get my drift. I have an eye when it comes to spotting minor differences in alignment and once I have spotted it niggles me.

13. BallisticBill

BallisticBill Busy Member

No but it helps if you know whereabouts in the adjustment range you are if you subsequently encounter problems.
    Yes there are subtle differences: depth of field will be better, and distortions less, if the reticle is central. The cheaper the lenses, the more beneficial it will be to keep central.

Roger Wikes likes this.