1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Rifle range visit - my first experience

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by neiled, Apr 26, 2014.

1. neiled

neiled Donator

I've just got my FAC licence and bought my first FAC .22 Airwolf, 22LR Ruger 10/22 & a CZ455 HMR along with new Hawke Varmint SF scopes for them all so I needed to zero the scopes in but there's nowhere near to me that allow rimfire or FAC air so I went to a rifle range for the first time yesterday, The Minsterley Ranges, The Bog, Minsterley, Shropshire and what an experience it was :D as they have both 50m and 100m ranges.

Ok first the bad bits, it was an hours drive and it's expensive at £30 visitor fee then there was the extras which soon mount up as I'd never done this before (target backing, targets, pins, ear plugs etc.) so overall it was £45 plus fuel. I can't go on about the good bits too much as it would take forever to explain and type but :D :D :D :D it was Gggggreat (as Tony the tiger would say). It was well worth the money for both the experience and the set up was brilliant.

I have to mention my naivety when I first set up in the 100m range with my 17HMR as there we're about 3 other guys in there who we're chatting so allowed me to go and pin my targets up then when the all clear was sounded I was just about to take my first shot when I thought the bloody room had blown up :eek: :eek:.....I think they we're firing 6.5mm & 7mm rounds and I didn't have any ear defenders or plugs in! As I said it was my first visit to a shooting range and I never though rifles could be so loud in a confined space hence my embarrassing retreat to the shop to buy some earplugs :eek: :eek:

Now I've got my Airwolf and .22FR set up for 55m zero and my 17HMR at 100m zero I can't wait to get out there and do some bunnie bashing.......that's if I can find any of course!

2. warrenater

warrenater Donator

nice account of your day well done pal and good luck. atb Gary.

3. Lydford

Lydford Posting Addict

Enjoyed reading that. Even .22lr at my local range make a racket without ear defenders! I'm considering going for FAC as well and the Ruger 10/22 would be the rimmy of my choice. All the best ...

4. techno

techno Busy Member

Unfortuneately the boys at the range love the smell and the noise,when i went last time with my .22 lr T bolt fitted with a mod they all looked at me like i was from another planet.phut phut phut they went banggggg bannnngggg bannnngggg.
    I also needed an indicator to go into the barrel to show my multishot weapon was dead and safe.Ive never seen so much brass laying round on the floor, they have dustbins full of brass shells.I was on the 50m range, and absolutely shooting the pants off the open sighted guys,you cant beat a riflescope and a good .22.At my range in chislehurst HMR isnt allowed.
    I did find it most strange most of the lads were getting proper stuck in on the 25m range,blimey i can shoot an acorn at 100m,why they are messing round with 25m i dont know, but hey they were having fun!!:up:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  5. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Well done on the FAC Neil, hope you enjoy using them in the field! regards Paul.

6. larro1

larro1 Engaging Member

Hello neiled I replied to one of your posts about FAC ranges that were close to you. Well there is Valley Arms in Ruthin that use an old quarry that I think they have a range out to 100 yards. You could contact them and ask some questions. Darran.

7. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

You're a long way from me, but I'm hoping at some point to sort a fac day on our land for AGF fac shooters, I have one part of the farm that is a good clear shot out to nearly a kilometre.

There is another very experienced fac holder local to me who might help out too.

8. neiled

neiled Donator

Hi Larro

I did call and speak with Valley Arms and they said they had a short range at their premesis but it was only for air rifles but they also did use a local quarry once a month but you had to be a member and couldn't go there as and when you wanted so it wasn't suitable for me.

9. neiled

neiled Donator

Hi Kyska

Id be interested in an FAC day out so keep the forum informed on how it progresses

10. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Me too - sounds like a great idea.

11. 177

177 Donator

I set my .22lr up at 70 yards to take the shorter and longer shots, and the .270 an inch high at 100 :)

The .223 remains untouched at present, and FAC air of some description will follow, in due course...

Sounds like you had a great day :)

12. tombillings916

tombillings916 Donator

Have experienced similar issues when using a CZ 452 on the 25m range at our club, this lad comes next to me with a Lee enfield .303 and also a 1858 Remington Revolver (black powder .38 ball) so not only did you get a hell of a racket with the .303, there was also a huge cloud of smoke and massive bang with the Remington, my ear defenders were ringing :eek: Nice choice of rifles by the way :up: