1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Rifle or Carbine

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by AJR48, Jul 2, 2012.

1. AJR48

AJR48 Well-Known Member

I am a novice. After some considerable research browsing the internet and reading magazines I have decided that I will be getting one of the following: Air Arms S410, Weihrauch HK97K, Air Arms TX200 or an Air Arms Pro Sport. All of these guns are around or about my budget. I won't be making a final decision till I've tried them all but my question is. Rifle or Carbine? I will be using it mainly for HFT shooting not hunting. I get the impression that Carbines are mainly aimed at the hunting market or have I jumped to the wrong conclusion?

Alan

2. Ronnieman

Ronnieman Engaging Member

Personally mate i always go for carbine! but im not that tall so i find the balance usually suits me better! but to be honest just shoulder them all (shoot with them if you can) and one should stand out! In my experience you can only shoot well if you are comfortable!:up:

(obviously with pcp's you will get more shots from the full length version of any particular rifle!)

3. Size12

Size12 Busy Member

Full length get more shots per fill. Carbine more manuverable. Tbh in the real world there is very little difference between either. I have a aa410 in for sale section. Your more than welcome to have a play if your interested.

4. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

For HFT you'd want the S400 over the S410. A magazine just gets in the way for target work. If you opt for the pcp get the full length. The extra shots will be of use on the range. With a springer it's purely personal choice. The Pro-sport offers you no choice on length though.

5. Akita177

Akita177 Addicted to Iron

The S400 could be a better buy then the S410 for HFT, in competitions you will have to take the magazine out after every shot with a S410.
    The S400 is cheaper as well, i hunt so payed the extra for the 410 and couldnt be happier.
    If you want to shoot springer class your cant go wrong with any of the springers you mentioned, HFT usualy has alot of prone shooting so test them in the prone position along with standing.

6. smallman28

smallman28 Banned

Where possible I would always buy a full lenght PCP purely for the amount of shots,in a springer I would get a carbine if one was available.

7. keeprightontilltheendoftheroad

keeprightontilltheendoftheroad Big Poster

Hi the S410 is an option as Rowan Engineering developed a single shot magazine. I use a Prosport I'm a springer shooter.

8. biggaz

biggaz Posting Addict

tx200HC, brilliant i say.

9. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

Why pay extra for the S410 then extra again for the converter only to then have to load left handed or reach awkwardly with the right?

10. DaveC_24

DaveC_24 Busy Member

I'd probably go with one of the springers you've mentioned at first; so long as you're going to be able to put in the practice, you will learn good technique from the off as springers are more touchy about how you hold them, etc. compared to a PCP. Plus, you don't have any bother about charging gear or running out of air in the field. I second the TX200 idea - it's an excellent rifle which you will probably want to hang on to, especially once you're comfortable with shooting it! The HW97k is a great rifle and opinion is divided over that Vs. the TX200, but I prefer the TX as it feels nicer to me and I like the trigger better, plus I also think it looks nicer. I have the carbine version (TX200HC), and find the shorter length to improve the balance significantly compared to the full-length rifle.

With both the TX200 and the HW97k, the weight may be a factor; both are a good couple of pounds heavier than your average PCP rifle, which helps them to shoot better (it minimises the recoil with a springer), but if you have any doubts about the weight, I would have a feel of one first to make sure you'll be able to hold it steady.

11. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Big Poster

if you go 97k i have an immaculate tuned ,177 for sale at the minute :up: just give me a PM if interested

12. AJR48

AJR48 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer. I would have been interested but I'm going to have to trade in a Hammerli 550 to offset some of the cost. I bought that before I did any research which is very unlike me and before I spend (waste) any more money I think I should try both the 97k and the TX200 out. Out of interest how much would you be asking? If it was not too much I could be interested but I've noticed that guns seem to keep a lot of their value when sold on the second hand market.

Alan

13. AJR48

AJR48 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. Tried out a few yesterday for comfort. I think I'll go for the TX200 if for no other reason than it's British made and manages to compete with German engineering. It's also slightly cheaper

To jonnyovy: I can get a brand new TX200 for £353 so I will probably go for that. They will also take my Hammerli in part exchange which will off-set some of the cost. I'm not prepared to spend £300 for second hand when I can get brand new for just a little more. Thanks anyway.

Alan

14. drobson67

drobson67 Banned

I didn't know that, how do you get more fills for a full length barrel compared to a carbine?. I would have thought it took more air to push the pellet out of a longer barrel. :confused:

15. Akita177

^^ longer barrels are more efficient and use less air to get the pellet upto speed, also full lenght PCPs usualy have bigger air cylinders.

16. drobson67

drobson67 Banned

Thanks for that, I read somewhere that a barrel length only needs to be about 12" for the pellet to reach top speed and shortening a barrel a little can even make it go over the legal limit.

17. Akita177

"shortening a barrel a little can even make it go over the legal limit"

Nope a shorter barrell means theres less time for the air to have influence on the pellet, so your more likerly to lose power.
    To the best of my understanding.