1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Rifle Cases/slips

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Claypole, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Claypole

Claypole Busy Member

I've just bought a HW95k, and whilst I was there (The Airgun Centre) I got one of their gunslips.

The slip is 45" and the rifle is 44.8" , so it fits nice and snug, although another inch or so wouldn't go amiss. (Yeah, I know how that sounds, but I've never had any complaints! )

If I take the silencer off, then the rifle is far too small for the slip, so the next size up 50" one would have been too big. I can't have the rifle slopping around! This slip will do fine for now, whilst I research the subject to death and procrastinate for about 3 years.

It also got me thinking, (well, obsessing if I'm honest), how much protection various slips/cases really offer? This one has some padding with a simulated sheepskin lining, so is really just designed to protect from minor knocks and bumps when transporting the rifle.

A hard case with an eggshell foam lining will seemingly offer more in the way of impact protection, but are the cheaper ones really any good? The case might survive a fall down the stairs, but that's no good if all the catches pop open and your rifle and scope get trashed.

What about those semi rigid cases, made with vinyl covered cushioned foam and internal retaining straps?

So, what cases do people prefer to use, and how tough have they proven to be?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2018
  2. bob4026

bob4026 Busy Member

I use a cheapest plastic case for major transportation, slips are designed more to satisfy joe public and to stop him shitting himself at the sight of an uncased rifle. My plastic case was about £30 and lined with the ”egg cup” type foam. It has four catches along its length and would survive a fall down the stairs easily I think.

If you need more protection than that, ask yourself “should I really be handling an air rifle?”

For general moving around, a slip is ample, just be careful. Hard cases will protect much more, but don’t be throwing it around. Common sense prevails and all that...

Bob

Claypole likes this.
  3. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Top Poster

50" slip on my 95k without any issues. No problems with slips, as Bob has pointed out as long as you take care they'll be fine.

4. pjgtech

pjgtech Post Whore

I started with basic gun slips, then I went to hard cases and then to canvas tactical cases, but now I'm back to basic slip bags. Hard cases are great but heavy and awkward to lug around. My tactical case is so big I never use it. All I really need is a good quality padded gun slip..... Then of course.... my TDR has its own custom made small case, which looks like a rucksack and is so discrete...

Claypole likes this.
  5. Claypole

Claypole Busy Member

Is yours an older HW95k? I thought the newer ones were shorter...

6. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Top Poster

It's 115cm long mate so in a 50" slip there's a good few inches to spare but that's no problem at all.

7. Claypole

Claypole Busy Member

That would be the 31cm barrel with a silencer?

8. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Top Poster

It certainly is mate

9. Regal Man

Regal Man Post Whore

I have a Daystate hard case, i stripped all the foam out. Repaced with packaging foam, 2 inches one side, and two 1 inch for the other.
    Drew around my gun, cut it out with a super sharp knife, job done. Cut around tins of pellets, and customised for it to take my rangefinder two.
    Looks ok, gun does nt move about, neither does anything else.

Claypole likes this.
  10. Tim_B

Tim_B Keyboard Hero

I think slips are fine, depending on what you want them for. I use slips for the range or permission - just to stop the rifle getting scratched. If I was regularly on public transport I would probably go to a rectangular hard case as its less obvious whats inside (as long as advertising doesn't give it away).

Thanks
    Tim B

Claypole likes this.
  11. Claypole

Claypole Busy Member

Thanks for the replies. I shall stick with this slip for now, I suppose after a while I’ll have a better idea of what I really want.

12. johnboy22

johnboy22 Donator

To be honest have never had a gun slip, they always look a bit flimsy to me, have always used one of the B.S.A. Tactical Gun Bags, well made with plenty of padding.