1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Riding scooter with rifle and airgun choice???

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Niglet, May 11, 2014.

1. Niglet

Niglet Member

hello,,ive had a few years away from airguns but the time has come to buy another so a few questions if anyone can help

i would be using a classic scooter to take trips to my local rifle range,,iam sure i would attract attention with a rifle bag on my shoulders but whats the law if the police pull me over?,,,,i will be taking out insurance for my rifle and carry documents at all times if this helps

ive owned a few rifles in the past,,mainly the cheaper models as iam just a hobby shooter/plinker but interested what people think of these and if there worth buying again,,,,,i traded in my full collection as a hobby change

smk19,,when i purchased one it was £120,,,great rifle with a nice smooth shoot but my local shop only gave me £25 trade-in,,it was like new:mad:

webley stingray,,thought this was going to be a good rifle but it was a terrible shoot,big clunk when fired,,,,£130 new with a moderator

hatsan mod60,,,this was my best rifle,,,smooth as anything ive shot and felt really good to hold and shot perfect with open sights,,,£120 new,,will buy another but interested what others think

i aslo owned a few pistols,,a few co2's but my best was a webley alecto,,,,,,how have these stood the test of time??? would like another

cheers in advance

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

The shop really ripped you off if they only paid you £25 for the SMK.

The hatsans are still going strong and even cheaper now at less than £100.

3. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

The hatsans are supposed to be really good when you do a bit of tuning on them.

The alectos are well respected as probably the most powerful yet still accurate pistol going.

Oh yeah, that gun shop well had your pants down but you can get your own back by not giving him your future trade go elsewhere that's what I did.

4. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

no problem at all in carrying a rifle in a slip on your scooter......apart from maybe a safety issue if . forbid you took a tumble.

5. tommy gun

tommy gun Posting Addict

i take mine on my scooter as well you will get stopped.The first time it took them 3/4 of an hour before they verified it was a air rifle the first 2 cops said they had never seen a air rifle before they looked about 12 or is it me getting older.After the first time when you get stopped they just check up details as long as you are going to or from range or permission to home you are ok.

6. Niglet

Niglet Member

yes i agree my local gun shop took the p**s abit with the smk but i did take 6 rifles and 4 pistols in one go and ended up with enough to buy what i wanted so it wasnt to bad

7. Niglet

Niglet Member

thats good to know i can carry an air rifle on my scooter,,,maybe better if i take a trip to the police station and give them my details beforehand to save time?

8. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

No point in that they won't know who you are when you're on your bike

9. harry brown

harry brown Banned

I have recently started cycling with my air rifles and FAC guns. Like yourself I was a bit concerned but it's fine as long as it's in a slip and as already mentioned 'you have good reason' such as going to a club/perm etc. I would make sure the magazine for the air rifle is empty and separate from the gun , before any trip, not teaching to suck eggs but better to be squeaky clean if pulled over. I also carry my perm slips and laminated maps with me plus the FAC if required for that gun in case I get any hassle.

I've had quite a few police cars pass me since I started cycling with a gun slip on my back and so far they just sail past...Probably late for tea break! ;)

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  10. Niglet

Niglet Member

just thinking it might help to speed up the process if i get stopped,,,if i give all my details with photocopys of insurance and club/range forms they will know iam not a scallywag riding around with a rifle

also thinking about it,,if i give the details of my scooter,reg etc if i get reported by the public they will know its me and wont get too excited trying to track me down

11. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

12. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

You're perfectly within your rights to carry the rifle on your scooter; just make sure that it's unloaded and the pellets are preferably kept separately (common sense really). If you do get stopped, be polite but if the whole thing drags on take badge numbers and keep a record of when it happened - if you continue to get stopped submit a complaint that you're being harassed.

Tbh sod informing the polis before you go out to do something that you're perfectly legally entitled to do - they'll probably pay little attention anyway, you shouldn't have to make exceptions for other people's ignorance and tbh such notifications set a dangerous precident IMO.

It's a self-perpetuating situation I'm afraid - the more the media turn the general public against shooters, the more our numbers seek to reduce their public profile when carrying guns. The less the public see shooters legally walking around with cased guns, the less "normal" the sight becomes; and the more suspicion it arouses when you do dare to venture out with a cased firearm.

On a vaguely-heartening note, I've walked around a local Co-op in a fairly urban location with a bagged rimfire over my shoulder before (wasn't going to leave it in the car) and nobody batted an eyelid :)

Finally, I don't really think the gunshop really bent you over with the SMK - they're most likely dirt cheap at cost price with a massive margin (why do you think gunshops like to sell them? :rolleyes:) - I suspect they can be bought for £60-70+VAT. Factor in the potential for failure (for which the shop has to provide a warranty to the new customer) and associated repair cost, plus VAT on the dealer's margin and suddenly £25 seems quite fair :)

FWIW I'd go with another Hatsan (although a 177 ;)) as they're decent quality for the money..

13. Niglet

Niglet Member

not looking for trouble mate,,thats why iam asking and looking at making sure the police are fully aware beforehand,,and to be honest i like to buy suitable gear for my hobbys,,,in the fishing world i think its known as being a tackle tart,,lol

the thought of hiding a rifle in a guitar case sounds like a bad idea to me,,,,,if the police see me riding in and out of a gun range with a guitar case or i have an accident and the rifle comes out it wouldnt look good

fair reply mate,,,,ive just been watching 'open carry videos' on youtube,,,,,,americans walking around walmart with ar15s and the police not knowing what to do when its legal to do so,,lol

i really liked the hatsan mod60,,,,kick myself for getting rid so will try another

i think smk19 are selling nearer the £200 mark now,,,,but at the time they were abit cheaper so your probably right as he would of been selling it as secondhand maybe £60-£70

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
  14. Picklehoffer

Picklehoffer Ministry of Foolishness

15. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

It's up the the police to prove that you're doing something wrong, not for you to prove that you're not. If you make sure you're all legal then you'll be fine. If you do get stopped and they get arsey (which they shouldn't, but you never know...) DO NOT surrender your rifle without a receipt and an incident number. This is a very unlikely scenario but it happened to a friend of mine last year. They cops took his rifle, gave him no paperwork and then buggered off. No record of his rifle, or his supposed offence. Basically they stole it. If he'd has his wits about him he would never have handed it over, much less without the correct paperwork.

16. Niglet

Niglet Member

seems like your a man in the know,,cheers for that pal

i now feel comfortable to take an air rifle on the scooter,as long as iam not riding naked one handed with the rifle in the other pointing it at people i should be fine,,,,all's good,,,cheers lads

now i just need to start collecting some rifles and pistols again,,,,ive stuck a wanted thread up if anyone has something cheap to get rid of

17. Picklehoffer

Picklehoffer Ministry of Foolishness

This is not the case mate. The police only have to SUSPECT an offence has been committed (in this case, S.19 Firearms Act), and you and/or your rifle are coming in. The part of that legislation that provides a defence is "Lawful Authority or Reasonable Excuse" and it is up to the individual to satisfy the officer that they have either. Riding to and from a rifle club or perm on a bike is fine because that's a reasonable excuse. Walking around in public with an air rifle just because you want to isn't.
    Have a look at my post on the above link.
    Sorry your mate was treated like that, he should make a complaint.

ATB, Neil.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  18. Niglet

Niglet Member

was thinking the same thing,,,,,,,,it is upto to me or you to prove otherwise

iam sure giving my local police station all my details and what i intend to do in the future can only be a good thing

19. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Well you seem hell bent on doing that................I wouldn't. I think you should go back and read and inwardly digest Jackroadkill and Cloverleafs advice. Pre informing the Police of your intention to behave in a certain way is a complete waste of yours and their time. This isn't yet a Police State, and as long as we are not breaking the law, we are still free to go about our lawful occasions unhindered. I would take full advantage of that if I was you.

20. oldbugger

oldbugger Donator

ive ridden all over with both, shotguns/and air rifles on me back,and never had a tug off the plod , as long as they,re securely carried ,not flapping about etc they tend to leave you alone, as said previousy tho, make sure, unloaded, and ammo seperate :up: