1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Good news Remington 1911 Repair & Restoration

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by Headhunter, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Headhunter

Headhunter Where is my Chiappa Rhino !!!

I had been looking for the pellet version of a Colt SAA 7.5” in the blue finish for quite a while when I finally found one on Gunstar, the seller was clearing out her late Fathers belongings and just wanted to get rid of them (She had a few guns to sell), so we spoke over the phone and finalised a price. She did ask me to check the prices of the rest of the guns as she really had no idea how much they were worth, I helped her out and suggested that she should advertise them on Freeads too as the website got higher traffic than Gunstar. Well, to cut a long story short, she sold them all within 24hrs after putting them on Freeads and she emailed me to thank me for my help, then she mentioned the Remington 1911 ! She said that she didn’t want to sell it as it was not working, it was her Dad’s favourite gun, the one he shot the most, well up till when it broke that is, her Dad had also painted it black and had taken it back to the shop where he bought it and asked them to repair it, they said it would be cheaper to buy another one than to repair it, so he took it home and that’s where it stayed.

I asked her for some pictures…..

1911 restoration pt1-4.jpg 1911 restoration pt1-3.jpg

As you can see, slightly worse for wear but as I already had a 1911 I thought that I could do with having a spare magazine and offered her a fair price for it, she accepted and sent it to me.

When it arrived I was shocked by how badly it had been painted and the grips had been left on during the process, the gun did indeed not work, the hammer would not hold in the cocked position and when it did it had a ‘hair trigger’, so I guessed that the trigger sear was badly worn, so I removed the magazine and put it back in it’s box.

Forward a couple of months and I had just finished a handful of winter projects in the space of a week and was looking for something else to satisfy my urge to ‘tinker’ when I remembered the 1911, so I stripped it down and removed all the paint with a wire wheel in my drill press. Once I removed the paint I was shocked to see that it was in a fair condition and nowhere near as bad I had previously thought that it would be.

1911 restoration pt2-4.jpg 1911 restoration pt2-9.jpg 1911 restoration pt2-10.jpg 1911 restoration pt2-8.jpg

I had a look at the hammer and trigger sear, the sears were absolutely ‘destroyed’, non-existent, gone completely ! So I cut a notch in the place where the sear should’ve been and re-assembled the gun, stuck a fresh CO2 in the magazine and gave it a test fire. It worked ! The hammer did not go fully back when cocked but everything seemed to work, so I loaded some BBs in it and gave it a test fire.

It would only fire a BB on every other shot ? When it actually fired a BB the slide wouldn’t go back far enough to load another BB from the magazine to the breech but just far enough to cock the hammer, which when fired again the blowback would push the slide far enough back to cock the hammer and feed a BB into the breech ???? I scratched my head, swapped slides over with my other 1911, swapped magazines but all resulted in exactly the same thing, it would only launch a BB on every other shot ! So back to the box it went, all the while saying to myself,”Well at least I had a go”.

For ages I kept thinking about it in my head, was it the recoil valve ? No, I swapped the slides over and the same thing happened. It foxed me for a while, then I worked it out. The hammer was not going far enough back when cocked so when it was released it was not hitting with enough force to allow enough CO2 to both fire the BB and push the slide back into battery, when the bb was in the valve nozzle the rocket valve was open and as the CO2 rushed in it would fire the bb and close the rocket valve but did not have enough CO2 pressure left to send the slide into recoil and when there was no bb in the valve nozzle the rocket valve was closed and all the CO2 could send the slide into recoil and that would load another bb into the valve nozzle and the whole process would start all over again (bb would fire, not enough recoil, no bb would fire, full recoil, bb would fire, etc.). Great ! Now I know what’s happening, but can I actually fix it ?

After much scouring I finally managed to get hold of a replacement hammer and rat tail (hammer spring) but it was for an airsoft WE 1911, very, very similar to the KWC, so I decided to take the chance and order one, fingers crossed….

We 1911 gen2 hammer.png

When it arrived I eagerly stripped the ailing 1911 down and tried to fit the new hammer and rat tail, the holding pin for the hammer in the KWC 1911 is bigger than the WE version, so I had to drill it out, polish it, greased and fitted, perfect ! Put the 1911 back together and gave it a dry fire test, excellent the hammer now locks back on full cock and seems to be working (notice how I said ‘seems to be’). I put a fresh CO2 in the magazine, loading some BBs and gave it a test fire…..

You’ve got to be kidding ! It’s doing exactly the same bloody thing, firing a BB on every other shot ??? WTF !!! I removed the magazine and compared the hammer fall against my other 1911, even though the hammer's in the right position when cocked the hammer fall seems, well, softer, not as snappy as my Remington/KWC 1911. So I stripped it down again and compared both of the rat tails (hammer spring), there was a 2mm difference in overall length between them both, the WE1911 version is the shorter of the two meaning that the hammer strike would not be as forceful as the KWC version. So I removed the retaining pins and swapped them over, re-assembled the gun, slammed the magazine back in, racked her back and……

Yay ! Success, I now have a fully working Remington 1911, checked the accuracy, just as good as my other 1911, chronographed it and it’s average fps is 30fps higher than my other 1911. So I stripped it again, sanded it down a bit more, stuck some authentic Colt 1911 black rubber grips on it……

Colt 1911 - 2.jpg Colt 1911 - 1.jpg

So, what’s the take away from all of this ? Well this is the second CO2 handgun that I have repaired with replacement airsoft parts (the other being my DW715 6”) and I’m hoping that other members will see the value in this information and maybe it will help those fellow members who are searching for replacement parts but are limiting themselves to just 4.5mm/.177 CO2 handgun parts and not expanding their searching to airsoft as well.

So what’s better than a 1911 ? That’s right, two 1911s….

2 1911 - 2.jpg 2 1911 - 3.jpg

...............:D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    papisgood, fredm, Calibre and 9 others like this.
  2. garryt

garryt Posting Addict

Good write up mate.
    Handy to know that the WE hammer can be modded to fit, as KWC spares are a nightmare.

Headhunter likes this.
  3. allanthomas66

allanthomas66 Heart Breaker, Life Taker & Grey Haired Baby Maker

Fantastic write up and repair mate.

Really enjoyed reading that and good pics too, thank you for sharing that with the forum.

Headhunter likes this.
  4. CaptDAR

CaptDAR Posting Addict

Absolutely great write up and saving a lovely pistol. Too information for the technically minded. I myself am technically challenged and just want to live closer to those that fix things lol.

callum taylor and Headhunter like this.
  5. callum taylor

callum taylor Busy Member

Fair play mate you certainly know you’re Censored I wouldn’t know where to start

Headhunter likes this.
  6. Wild Bill

Wild Bill co2 Firearm Enthusiast & FX Wildcat owner.

Sleaford, Lincolnshire and Wales sometimes.
    Nice write up.

Headhunter likes this.
  7. Molgraze

Molgraze Donator

You certainly have some patience and knowledge Heady. Brilliant stuff :thumb::up:

Headhunter likes this.
  8. Stuka

Stuka Engaging Member

I agree with you all he is very nice guy and knows his stuff:thumb::thumb:

Headhunter likes this.