1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Good news relum tornado

Discussion in 'Vintage collectable airguns' started by gareth1977, Jun 3, 2014.

1. gareth1977

gareth1977 Well-Known Member

got this old relum today from one of the old boys at work, said he no longer has use for it and from seeing all the airgun mags at work offered it to me for free!! of course i gave £30 all the same. anyways gave it a clean up and fired a few pellets through it. its different to say the least!! really cracks, spits and smokes!! a unique shooting experience!![​IMG] View attachment 97498 View attachment 97498 View attachment 97498

2. gareth1977

gareth1977 Well-Known Member

dont know why they favoured the yellow wood stock colour at that period!!?

3. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

Nice buy,I have one not as clean as yours but shoots fantastically as it was sorted. I like these swamp donkeys..

4. caddyman

caddyman Engaging Member

like these old rifles:)

they always had that oily smell when fired, don't seem to get it on the newer kit

very agricultural but that's what I like:D

5. saddler1980

saddler1980 Busy Member

found one in an old shed at me moms bungalow when she moved in, bet its still there come to think of it...........

6. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Probably due to the fact that when they were made virtually all air rifles had leather piston washers and the only lubrication they got was a few drops of 3in1 or castrol everyman oil in the cylinder and on the pivots and linkages :)

7. talent

talent Posting Addict

Did they not use fish oil to lube them ?

8. Patrick

Patrick Donator

I think the more adventurous shooters may have stripped them and soaked the piston washer in neatsfoot oil to make it more supple and last longer but this was all before the days of tuning etc.

9. John90

John90 Newbie

The good thing about the underlevers was no breech washer to leak (no need for talkum powder to check). I didn't know about good old neatsfoot oil back then. I was more likely to use Duckhams Q.

I think people have always been tuning airguns :). In the late 70s there was the airgunaid tuning kit sold with detailed usage instructions, advertised in the back of Airgunworld, for £4.50 or so. Astwood springs advertised back then too. There was the C.A.R.D. ballistic sledge to test output, or shoot into a phone book or Kays catalog and count the pages! There were also the new generation of lubricants: Dri-Slide (Molybdenumdisulphide based), TriFlon (teflon spray), and Silicon oil. Electronic muzzle chronometers were basically still SciFi. The ASI Statical, the Webley Premier Mk 2, the first Chinese Lion underlevers arrived in the UK, BSA Scorpion appeared in a Bond movie and on Tomorrow's World (testing the fibreglass bodywork of a Scimitar). The Relum Tornedo was a good solid second hand gun to get. Every other gun seemed to have plastic on it, from BSA to Feinwerkbau.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  10. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Yes ,tap loaders were good providing they were machined accurately ,the hole in the tap lined up correctly and were tight enough not to leak.Early break barrels had leather breech seals which were prone to leaking unlike modern synthetic ones.I had one of those airgun tuning kits from airgunaid and have still got a small dropper bottle of triflon.I remember the ballistic sledge, a bit heath robinson by modern standards but quite good at the time I suppose.Tuning became popular in the mid 70s after a couple of articles, explaining the process, written by the guy who done the air gun articles in Guns Review mag(can't remember his name).This was before the 1st edition of AirGunWorld came out(1978 if I remember correctly).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  11. caddyman

caddyman Engaging Member

I have been away from airguns for about 20 odd years, and I was amazed with all this tuning talk, back in the 80's you just bought the pistol or rifle and a tin of pellets and fired the thing!!

Now the norm seems to be spend a whole lot of cash and then strip it and file everything, buy overpriced moly grease and so on, every one seems to mention the "massive" recoil from springers, I have to smile as ive fired most of the British military weapons, a lot of which have recoil.

Really don't get the pre charged stuff, break the barrel insert pellet and fire.

Think I will always look to the older kit, as a bit more fun and not to serious:)

12. Bruno27

Bruno27 Engaging Member

Love the way this thread is going. Back to basics!

13. Patrick

Patrick Donator

I'm a bit that way myself,think I'll stick to springers,fairly simple and easy to maintain:)

14. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

In the 80's tuning was all the rage I for one had my 77 venom tuned and so did all the field target shooters.

15. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

I must have had a couple of Relum Tornados back in the day, I liked 'em, and I thought they were very good value for money, considering what else was on offer at the time, and considering how much they wanted for what was on offer at the time. Really good bang for buck, took a small while to learn their endearing hungo slovakian little ways, but bloody good fun, and very robust! If I see a nice one going cheap, under me nose sort of thing, I might well be tempted, I don't think I would be assed to travel far for one though.

They were good for doing evily weavily things to as well, cos back in the day, I don't think anybody minded overmuch if we did. As somebody else has already said, they have a certain agricultural charm about them, almost something of the AK if you ask me?

16. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

That be three of us then!:).................Springers, recoil???..........Pah! great jesseys!

17. jantar

jantar Donator

Fully agree....my first was a 'torny' and it gave me loads of pleasure back then....was it really that long ago? I remember that it also caused me many run ins with the old folk then and its a sorry tale that I am one myself now :eek: (that hurts).
    Great rifle though even now with many possibilities for anyone who is into modding. Just watch out for the smoke though cos they were prone to that problem.........
    Why don't I know someone who would give me one for so little coin??????

18. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I had one years ago however I realised its short comings when I went out with two Friends on a squirrel hunt one with a Vulcan and the other with a webley mk 3. I was easily out gunned and realised that it did not have the power capabilities of the other two and quickly decided it wasn't a hunting gun. Knowing what I know now I would have tinkered with it first to see what I could squeeze out of it. I have heard fitting a single meteor spring in place of the double springs in the relum is a vast improvement.

19. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Yep there's something about the firing cycle of a springer I like, not just being a lifeless lump in your hands.Okay PCP's are inherently more accurate but they don't have the character of springers and surely air rifle shooting isn't merely about pinpoint accuracy,putting pellet on pellet,at least for me it's not.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  20. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

They may not have the character I totally agree, but for getting a serious job done such as pest control then I will reach for my pcp every single time.