1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Red Dot Sights?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by paulnb57, Jun 14, 2018 at 9:44 AM.

1. paulnb57

paulnb57 Active Member

Red Dot sights, I'm intrigued but utterly clueless, for an HW97......short range 10/15yards...pros, cons, would you, wouldn't you...

There seems to be a type like a scope and one with an odd little screen......stick an electric guitar in my hand and I'm fine, but I'm new to this Airgunning lark!....

Oh, and as usual thanks!

2. Oat

Oat Spud guns rule

In general i'm not a fan. They have their place for plinkers, tin cans, some rapid fire CO2 stuff - IMO.
    They also have a place for hunting at short range with some centre fires where quick target acquisition is needed - such as running wild boar. But that aint my thing...

For general airgun use i prefer a scope.

Sky likes this.
  3. terry1001

terry1001 Donator

I think that Oat has summed it up but there's different types of these sights, some have the red dot and others project an image of a reticle and they do come in different sizes/variable brightness etc. Some of the holographic types can be fitted with a magnifying lens as well.
    The main benefit is fast target acquisition and particulalry on larger targets where precision isn't needed.

Oat likes this.
  4. Wofty

Wofty Engaging Member

I have a tube type and projected lens type.
    Neither are expensive.
    And therin lies the problem. The size and shape of the red dot.
    Like most things you get what you pay for so I would be looking at the better types.

5. Oat

Oat Spud guns rule

Generally, the Hawke red dots are of good quality. The decission is if you want such low mag (lower accuracy) or if you want higher mag (better accuracy 'potential').

For scopes, 3-9x40 or 4-12x40 (AO) are probably the most popular for air rifles as they can adapt to the huge majority of applications.

6. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker The Tree Hunter

I like them and have used several different types on a variety of air rifles. Perfect for plinking and short range barn, yard and woodland work...

7. jesim1

jesim1 Keyboard Hero

I'd agree - for short range and general targets/quarry they are fine. The cheaper ones - around £20 with the screen are a bit hit and miss, the scope type like the Hawke are generally better until you get to things like the Vortex which are very small, very light, and very accurate - but they are £200 a pop. I put these on my Steyr LP50s and they are brilliant, I don't think I'd invest that for an HW97 though?

James

8. rascaltrousers

rascaltrousers Busy Member

I bought one recently to fit to my Striker 1000x .25 cal for close up ratting. The problem was the truglo front sight. Once the red dot was zeroed at my chosen range the red dot lined up exactly with the front truglo sight and became utterly useless and pointless. it is now sitting back in its box waiting for me to find another rifle to fit it to. :facepalm:

9. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Can’t you use some high see through mounts giving you the option of using the open sights or the red dot.

10. general_piffle

general_piffle Well-Known Member

I had a fairly decent Hawke red dot fitted to my HW45. Even with a brand new battery it was impossible to see clearly at maximum setting (11) on a largely white background (most paper targets) in strong sunlight. So I took it off and reverted back to the open sights, which are far superior at 8 yards.

11. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker The Tree Hunter

By far the best red dot sights that I've ever used were the old Singlepoint OEGs. Find one and you're laughing...

12. Martin 77

Martin 77 Engaging Member

They're really specifically for fast, short range target acquisition and probably wasted on a 97. you would be better off with a normal scope that actually Magnifies the target which most red-dots dont. I use a walther red dot on my Sig MCX which is more its intended use and a better fit - do your homework before you splash the cash mate.

13. paulnb57

paulnb57 Active Member

Thats sort of the point of my question!....

littleJon365 and rabbitwrecker like this.
  14. paulnb57

paulnb57 Active Member

Some good advice here guys, thanks!

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  15. rascaltrousers

rascaltrousers Busy Member

Not really, I sold the rifle to a friend last night (with a scope)! I'm downsizing my gun collection at the moment as I'm downsizing house and can't store as many.

r10hunter likes this.
  16. Riddmeister

Riddmeister Donator

Zeroing one on my FWB Sport tonight with RWS Hobbies. I'm hoping to be able to hit a 40mm spinner between 20-25 yards.

paulnb57 likes this.
  17. paulnb57

paulnb57 Active Member

Interested to hear how you get along with it...which sight are you using?