1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Recommended Me A Hw

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by David_Brown, Feb 23, 2021.

1. David_Brown

David_Brown Engaging Member

Hi there
    After owning a 99 for over a year now i am amazed at how good they are and thinking about buying another one in 177 has anyone got any idears, break barrel or under lever.

thanks

any pictures would be appreciated!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  2. Meal Dot

Meal Dot Posting Addict

HW97 for underlever, HW95 or HW98 for break barrel. Others will say different. :thumb:

PaulBB and David_Brown like this.
  3. Air arms boy

Air arms boy Wear sunscreen!

Long barrel 77!

shergar, David_Brown and Plinky Dave like this.
  4. Plinky Dave

Plinky Dave Busy Member

97 or 77

PaulBB and David_Brown like this.
  5. David_Brown

saw them they look good! are they good in 177!

6. David_Brown

are they heavy? or twangy out of the box? thanks

7. Aston_Shooter

Aston_Shooter Posting Addict

97 is usually the general recommendation for the U/L, although I'm more partial to the 77.

95 would be my choice for the break barrel, although personally I would stick with the 99 over the 95.

I do like the 98 but haven't owned one so can't really comment on that, but it would be a serious contender for me in 177 I reckon.

mutley and David_Brown like this.
  8. David_Brown

yeah i dont wont to bother with pcp but 2 quality sprigners in both cals would be great! 77 looks good

9. Lostkiwi

Lostkiwi Tomorrow will be a better day.

97s and 77s are 4 3kg so not the lightest.
    If you want lighter a break barrel is lighter or look at the 57 if you want an underlever. The 57 is a svelte 3.1kg however cannot take a moderator so in some cases might be a little loud though personally I don't find it at all obtrusive.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    mutley and David_Brown like this.
  10. Grey beard

Grey beard Engaging Member

IMHO all hw rifles can be highly accurate, with the right shooter, difficult at the moment but find one that suits you, that I believe, is more important than the model number.
    My hw97 is way more accurate than I but practice will improve that, slowly.
    Enjoy your choice.
    ATB
    Steve

David_Brown likes this.
  11. PhatMan

PhatMan Keyboard Hero

David,

What will you be using the rifle for, and what calibre ?

For me :

Underlever (iron sights or 'scope) HW57, HW77

Underlever ('scope) HW97

Break barrel (iron sights or 'scope) HW30S*, HW95

* ca. 7 ft.lb, but a delightful rifle to shoot :)

Break barrel ('scope) HW98

Have fun :)

Best regards

Russ

Desmond.22 and David_Brown like this.
  12. David_Brown

mainly a hunter and plinker in .177 will probably scope it later as well

PhatMan likes this.
  13. Aston_Shooter

Aston_Shooter Posting Addict

Ah yeah, forgot the 57. I love them but they're a bit of a Marmite gun it seems, and mine were 22 so not sure how snappy they are in 177, but nothing a tune wouldn't sort, I'd imagine.

Lostkiwi, mutley and David_Brown like this.
  14. Plinky Dave

Plinky Dave Busy Member

Heavy? Yes, compared to others, but depends on the intended use as Russ. .22 smoother shot cycle. Twang can vary between rifles some are good some need a fettle and maybe a better spring guide and piston sleeve.

David_Brown likes this.
  15. paj

paj Busy Member

If you are happy with the 99 you could do worse than another in 0.177. Especially if you like the weight, HW's soon start to put on weight. If you want a lighter compact rifle the 30 is nice but a bit less power. I would definitely keep away from the 57.

David_Brown likes this.
  16. David_Brown

yeah true that could be a good option not a big fan of the new stocks though

paj likes this.
  17. Jay Butts

Jay Butts Life, it’s so much better than the alternative!

My 97 is epic.... both good guns tho.

BTW, with a Tinbum tuning kit mine has ZERO twang. I put mine in the same day I picked my 97 up. Best mod you’ll ever do.

David_Brown likes this.
  18. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

hw 97/77 are very heavy but you will get used to it eventualy. The 98 is very front heavey and i find more tiring to hold than a 97. Use them enough and your arms will develop the muscles you need to hold them steady! They are fantastic in .22 and .177 avoid the stainless synthetic stock version of the 97 the stock amplifies sound like a guitar, and plating deposits in the end block thread can make dissembley very difficult.:)

David_Brown likes this.
  19. Lostkiwi

Lostkiwi Tomorrow will be a better day.

Why keep away from the 57?
    If you're referring to early breech problems they're resolved with the metal breech block.

Those of us that have 57s love them.

20. vinnyp

vinnyp Engaging Member

pretty sure the 99s now comes with the new style stock o_O

edit......

B79055DC-81E6-4EA6-A589-8A543A7BAA42.jpeg

Suits it more than the hw30 but.....

:ooops:

David_Brown likes this.