1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a first PCP. It will be for hunting.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Antoneady, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Antoneady

Antoneady Well-Known Member

I have a lovely HW97KT, but it is just too heavy to lug around a permission, and I'm a little worried that a springer might amplify my errors and I'd be left trying to finish off wounded quarry, fumbling in a second pellet.
    What would the collective wisdom recommend, bearing in mind that money is tight, so I'd probably be looking at what I could recoup on the 97, which is only about 10 months old and hardly used, and about £200 cash to add in.
    i'm thinking a nice, nearly new Ultra Multi-shot, but am interested to hear your words of advise!

2. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

The ultra will be nice and light but the shot count is very low (less than 50 shots) I would look at the scorpion which looks almost the same and has a lot more shots.

3. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

I have an ultra that I've fitted a scorpion tube to. 60+ shots per fill is ample for anything and its so pointable! Its only a single shot, but then I prefer that to multi shot. No firing empty air at the target, no shaved pellets and you only need one shot anyway!;)

4. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Air Arms S400 or BSA Ultra

5. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    as matty says. when hunting, the shotcount can be considered quite irrelavant, so the low shotcount of the ultra wont be an issue. i would elaborate on matty's recommendation tho, and suggest the karbine variation in the s400.
    i would get down to your rfd and shoulder a few rifles to define your selection, then put an ad up in the swap selection. the 97 is a popular rifle, so should go easy

6. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

As I have Stated Countless times for New & Returning Air Gunners -

Check out your local Air Gun Club and see what others are using and Why -

Far better than write up's and in most cases you can get to try different Guns -

Vermin Control / Hunting is Best with a Multi Shot - nothing worse than a clipped Vermin getting away or missing the one sitting next door

My Personal Chose - Walk around is a Phoenix Mark Two underlever - Ten Shot in .177 - Static / Ambush is my HW100 on a Bipod again in .177

From years of having unlimied access to Different Air Guns available in UK - All Sub 12FP -

BOB/R

7. Donki Oaty

Donki Oaty Where's the time going?

A few years ago I was in your predicament, I too got sick of lugging my 97K about whilst out hunting due to it's weight. I went for the S410f Classic and sold my 97. The S410 is lighter and the 10 shots come in handy for quick reloading but I'm not typing all this to recommend the S410 because in the end you'll find a rifle in your budget that you like to shoulder which also fulfills all you requirements. I am however bothering to reply because I felt lost without a springer! Are you sure you want to get rid of you 97? You may find that if you save a little more then you could have the best of both worlds, namely your 97 for short forays and a lighter PCP for those long jaunts.

8. ishooter

ishooter Engaging Member

S200simples thats on my list as a next gun

9. themadspread

themadspread Donator

dont worry to much about a low shot count 50 shots for a few hrs hunting is plenty on most perms

10. Bigant

Bigant Posting Addict

s200 is a cracking lightweight accurate little gun :) can recommend them all day long.

11. larson

larson Engaging Member

add another 50 quid to the 200 you have and get a little aa s200.. you get to keep your old gun and the 200 will hold its own...

12. jambo1984

jambo1984 Engaging Member

I've had a ultra and I've still got my s400 they are both bang on

13. wizard1963uk

wizard1963uk Donator

S200 cant go wrong

14. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

One of the cheapest pcps's you can buy on the secondhand market is a Webley Axsor or the same gun but with a gauge the FX2000, or its logun cousin the logun axsor.

Don't confuse these with the Turkish Raiders, although nothing wrong with a brummy raider either.

These were designed by the Famous FX designer Fredrik Axelsson the main man of Fx, and very much the same gun as a cyclone but bolt action, and just check out what a cyclone cost.

Ive handled owned or shot most of the pcps on the market, and for me for the money these feel better, in respect to handling shots per charge and quality than the majority of guns around the price range, Ie s400 s200, they just feel more of a gun.

They can be serviced for not a lot of money much like the s400 range, but it is afterall a proper side loading bolt action sporter and it for me feels that bit better quality.

They were way ahead of their time with a rotary simple mag system and aluminium cylinders so a full length gun weighs less than 7 ibs and will give about 100 shots per charge in .22 and you can expect thumbnail groups up to 35 yrds.

Best bit is Ive seen them go for around £350! in fact there is a minter with a scope on gstar right now, looks as new.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014