1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Real world .25 reviews.....

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jay5488, Jul 7, 2014.

1. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

Just after some real word experience with the above caliber if anyone has any, I know it's not going to be much use over longer distances but how are they at close range, it's just an itching bug in my head that won't go away so I may have to sacrifice my purchase of a Hatsan to fund my childish "want" of a nice caliber rifle......

Jay

2. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

Until two years ago we had a small holding with pigs, chickens etc in a small field next to the house. Wherever there are chickens there are rats! As we were very rural there were loads!

I bought a mk2 Supersport carbine SS in .25 and it was great fun. With Pylarms it was point and shoot from about 7-28 yards IIRC. The shot didn't have to be pinpoint exact as it it slammed them and they went down regardless! It was also a hoot knocking seven shades out of tin cans.

Get one!

3. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

This is the answer I was hoping for, did you just use it up to 30 yds??

4. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Very Active

Its ok to around 20 yards depending on what you are shooting. There isn't a huge range of .25 pellets out there and the heavier variants drop like bricks. I built a regulated .25 ultra that was pellet on pellet with H&N ftt shooting around 11.8. If your looking to do some shorter range pest control just get a .22 mate. I have found it to be just as effective yet much more versatile. Im sure when i was out ratting i missed several 25ish yard shots due to the rat dodging the pellet. In the end i was aiming into the top of the shoulder so when rats twitched backwards i hit the neck or head. I would recommend on getting a nice light .22 with something like h&n barracuda hunters, verminpell or bisley pest control.

5. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

I've had plenty of .22 and still love them but I think it's the immature child in me that refuses to grow up!!!

6. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

No, only to 28 (that was the fence line for the chicken run) it is great fun for short range, and I used it instead of the .410 as its just as effective and cheaper to run. I think the Pylarms were 18grn so weren't too slow.

7. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Very Active

Dont get me wrong if i had a load of cash to spend i would have one in each calibre just for the novelty, but .25 is not a good replacement for one of the smaller calibre's if your only having one.

8. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Trajectory of a rainbow :D

Hit like bricks though,proper thud :)

9. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Exactly what this lad said ^^^^^:up:

Ive been saying it for years and had some famous ding dongs on the other site about it, :( anyway the above post says it all in a nutshell.

I had .25s and Ive watched as everything from rats to squirrels have literally side stepped the pellet, its just too slow for me, .177 at near on the limit is like a lazer beam in comparison and its the call I like best as its got about 300 fps more, which is a lot when you think about it, and aiming off is hard enough without having to do it under 30 yrds with a .25, so If I did a lot of Ratting .22 hits just as hard its all in the mind tiny winy little bit bigger hole that's all, but I could show some pictures on here of what a .177 can do with the right pellet, and believe me, I can get my little finger in to the knuckle in the hole they make (I know what your thinking:D) but seriously play about with pellets on a good .22 rifle and they are just as hard hitting as a .25 but quicker, but .25s are great at 70 ft/ibs Ive shot rabbits with my mates and that does wallop em, it spins them around great fun but not at sub 12 it just doesn't make sense ;)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  10. jonbodthethird

jonbodthethird Member

Too true my .177 as mpr will do rabbits at 80yards and it packs one hell of a punch!

11. neiled

neiled Donator

Welcome to the forum but I'm sorry mate 80 yard rabbit shooting with an air rifle takes some doing so I take it your .177 MPR is FAC and not sub 12ft lb as a sub 12 ft lb .177 zeroed at 40 yards will need about 11" - 12" holdover and only retain some 5.5ft lb of energy at 80 yards so the shot isn't safe to take in IMO.

Rabbit shooting with sub 12ft lb air rifles should only be done to a max of 50 yards in IMO unless the rifle is spot on, weather conditions are perfect and windless with the shooter being an experienced hunter/shooter.

12. jonbodthethird

jonbodthethird Member

In all fairness it's nothing to do with the power of the gun because a pellet can kill a bunny at 100yards. it all depends on the setup of your gun. I shoot field target and my gun allows me to shoot up too 90 yards accurately with a decent wind condition.

13. jonbodthethird

jonbodthethird Member

14. jonbodthethird

jonbodthethird Member

Also I dont use holdover or guess work my gun focuses accurately which tells me with in a yard how far the target is then I have on the side of the gun a graph telling how much adjustment I need for the pellet curve. And I click to that graph. The only thing I need to guess is the windage if it's right to left how fast it is. If it will vortex if I'm standing next to a large building. But I wouldn't suggest taking such a shot with anything but a calm day or there's a good chance it will injure the target. It all depends how confident and good you are at judgement and wind conditions.

15. neiled

neiled Donator

Very nice gun there mate and very accurate I'm sure but I'm sorry power does have a lot to do with it as does the shooters skill and experience. The retained energy of a sub 12ft lb air rifle may have enough energy to paper punch, spin or knock down metal targets but at around 5ft lb at 80 yards is it enough to cleanly kill a rabbit with a 1" kill zone, not in my book as it's far too risky and cruel to take the shot.

We've a responsibility on open forums to make our posts as clear and explicit as possibly, an inexperienced or newbie air rifle shooter/hunter reading that you can take rabbits out to 80 yards could think this was the norm with any air rifle then if by some chance he hit the rabbit at this kind of distance do you think he'd be skilful enough to hit the 1" kill zone............I don't think so? This would then mean the rabbit enduring a slow and painful death, something we have to make newbies aware is totally unacceptable.

I'm not having a pop at you at all but I do think we need to clarify certain things and one of them is realistic hunting distances.

16. jonbodthethird

jonbodthethird Member

Tottally understand that I did just adjust my comments for that reason. Also posted a picture of my ft rifle to show that it isn't a thing you can just do with out proper experience as well as the correct setup. I know people who in hunter ft and can justify taking shots with a fully tuned springer with using a decent setup. In fact I won't shot a live target after 70 with my springer mainly due to the fact my confidence with my 97kt isn't amazing after that. I think that may well be the scope I'm using on it. On that note has anyone on here tried the new 32 times Airmax? Been toying with that scope for a couple of weeks?

17. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I have to be careful how to comment on this debate, because I agree with both of you, its a bit like an unspoken rule, that certain things are not spoke about on open public forums.;)

But do I doubt what the man said, "No" do I know its possible "Yes" , I know because lets just say once in a lifetime kind of shot and because the Rabbit was mixi and about to go back to ground, so I took the shot, lets just say what to loose when an animal is already in pain suffering a horrible fate.

Was it clean?, yes instant

Could I do it over and over again at that range "probably not"

Do I do it often "certainly Not"

Do I recommend it to anyone "no"

Can the Field target lads do an inch group on a plate, at 70-80 yrds?

Ive seen it done at 100yrds take a look at the sub 12 Theoben mfr shooting 100yrds 1" groups on you tube, in the correct conditions.

Thing is all this isn't really relevant to the OP, I just think a .177 will kill rats or close range quarry as effective as any other cal, its just about knowing exactly where to aim.

.25 is a bit too slow where I find the .22 after using it over 25 yrs is the perfect cal choice for close to medium range shots ie Ferals and Rats.

18. jonbodthethird

jonbodthethird Member

Anyway going off the subject of the post. What I'm saying is you can do just as much damage if not more with a smaller calibre than a big one. Infact I prefer .177 to .22 because the pellet curve is less and the velocity is greater. Makes more sense to me if your starting up or even a regular hunter to use .177 than .22 because it's easier and quicker. As far as I know the .25 is ok at taking rabbits but it's all against you with its weight and pellet curve. The inner child thinks it's fun but the realistic hunter in me says don't bother your self matey!

19. neiled

neiled Donator

Agree with what your saying about the .25 being a short range calibre but as for the .177 against .22 as the best hunting calibre............I'm not even going there :rolleyes:

20. Mrman

Mrman Donator

Iv had A hw80 with a .25 and what ever it hit sounded like a drum LOL!! opens up nice holes too :) wouldn't use it on anything pass 25 yards though unless you got over 18ftlbs.