1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Re-vamp or buy new?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Brian S, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Brian S

Brian S Member

Hi, I have a BSA Meteor bought in the 1960's and I used it a lot at first, target shooting in the garden, then it's lived in it's carry-sleeve for 20+ years. Last year I examined it and the rear sight is broken so I fitted the telescopic sights that came with it, instead, useless. I took it to a dealer and had it checked, the spring was in three pieces, so I had a new spring fitted but they said they could do nothing about the rear sight. The phrase about hitting a barn door springs to mind, I used to hang targets in the garden and when I got bored hitting them I would aim at the string and cut them down, now I cannot adjust the sights enough to hit the bird-table (without birds).
    Should I buy a new rifle? I can get a trade-in.
    If I buy new is a CO2 rifle a good option, I will rarely use it but would like power and accuracy when needed.
    Thanks for reading.
    Brian.

2. hawk eye

hawk eye Banned

hello buddy. the only problem with c02 is this time of year mainly as the power will drop down depending on how cold it is for eg. i have a 850 air magnum. chrono at 11.5 whilst it was warm i went to plink with it other night and i could pretty much catch the pellet as it dribbled out the barrel.
    other options really would be a good springier IE: HW or a PCP in my book pcp no recoil but then you have to fill them and springier well they speak for them self's :D but then you get a bit of recoil. if you had a budget in mind there are plenty of cracking deals on here and others willing to help you get best for your money. you thought about restore in the bsa at all ?

3. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Your old Meteor will not be worth very much,maybe £100 at best. If you are happy with it, then spending £100 on it and doing a bit of work would have it running sweetly again - ask John Knibbs (gunshop) if he has spares for it, he might have a rear sight.

Why is your telescopic sight useless? If it is that poor you can get a perfectly servicable one for about £50. I would be inclined to spend a little on it and do a bit of fettling, it owes you nothing! There is a great deal of satisfaction to be gained in doing the fettling, and there more again when it works nicely!

4. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

What he said! I love the meteors have done a few up over the years and used my mk1 to good effect on a squirrel shoot recently. It's accuracy with open sights amazed me to be honest and made a nice change from my usual Daystate rifle I usually go for on a hunting expedition and I would not hesitate to take it out on a hunt again.

As for a rear site (sight?) check airgunspares.co.uk or chambers gun spares. There are plenty of meteor refurb threads on here to get the old girl shooting as it used to as just replacing the old spring is only part of the process. I've posted a couple one for a mk1 seeing as you got yours in the 60's this would probably be the one for you to look at I will dig the thread out if you are interested.

5. smithys

smithys Busy Member

There is always spares on flebay for them.

6. 177

177 Donator

Depends on how handy you are and how much time you want to throw at it.

If you research it before you undertake the project you should be able to strip the gun out, give it a nice service and a bit of a polish, reassemble and have it running a lot smoother in an afternoon.

I have a soft spot for old Meteors - they can be fettled quite easily and offer enough power for plinking and medium range hunting :)

7. Robhalex

Robhalex Engaging Member

North Bristol, South Gloucestershire (Thornbury)
    Get a new spring, scope, some blue and some gun oil and it'll be good as new. Modern springs will bring it up to 12ftlbs easy

8. jaarus

jaarus Active Member

You won't get 12ft/lbs out of an older meteor - they were a youth gun, designed with about 7-8ft/lbs ish.
    The chamber is just too small to get that big an increase out of them. I am sure that technically its probably possible to get it higher but it will kick like a freaking mule. I would have thought anything above about 10 ft/lbs will make it almost impossible to shoot, accurately.

A clean of the internals however should get it back to being a cracking little back garden plinker.

9. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

10. Robhalex

Robhalex Engaging Member

What I meant is old meteors are about 4-6ftlbs

The mk7 is full power at about 11-11.5

You can get newer high performance springs that will boost the power of your old meteor to match that of a new one.

11. jaarus

jaarus Active Member

Sorry I see what you are saying but the new Meteor is a completely different rifle to the older ones.

The older ones are low powered not just because of the spring but also the physical size of it (chamber/piston etc) as they were designed as an entry level 'first gun' for the youth market not as an adult 'hunting' rifle.
    You can of course put a more powerful spring in there, many did (myself included), but it basically ruins the gun as its now too powerful for its own good.... and still nowhere near 12ft/lbs.
    Mine is running a tad under 10 and its as snappy as hell.
    Like the OP I used to hang up tin cans and conkers etc and shoot them until bored and then shoot out the string.... with it as it is now I wouldnt have a hope in hell in being able to do that!

Its just too small a gun to get up to full power.

12. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

4-6 ft lb even on an old meteor is seriously low, meteors are happy at 8-9ft lb I don't consider the later mk 6 and 7 as true meteors as they are made in a different country under the guise of BSA meteor brand although they are probably better rifles.

13. Robhalex

Robhalex Engaging Member

My meteor is definitely "meatier" than the older ones. It used to be a smaller sized child's rifle but now it's a full size adults one. Lovely bit of kit. Recoil isn't too bad and it packs a serious punch!

14. Brian S

Brian S Member

Is there a way to find out which MK my Meteor is.......MK1, MK2 etc??

15. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

Yes, pop the serial number up and we'll let you know.

John

16. Brian S

Brian S Member

Thanks 1961 but I can't see one, I've taken off the scope but it just says BSA Meteor and BSA Guns Birmingham .22 cal, on the barrel.

17. Brian S

Brian S Member

Found it!!!! T095606

18. mikalis

mikalis Engaging Member

T METEOR MK1 0.22 1959/62
    TA METEOR MK2 0.22 1962/66
    TB METEOR MK2 0.22 1966/68
    TD METEOR + SUPER MK3 0.22 1967/69
    TE METEOR + SUPER MK3 0.22 1969/73
    TG METEOR + SUPER MK4 0.22 1974/78
    TH METEOR + SUPER 0.22 1979-