1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Re-finish or sell ?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Skinwiz, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Skinwiz

Skinwiz Busy Member

Hi all , I'm having a little dilemma , I picked up an AAs400 classic last night for half decent pennies on a bit of a whim , I already have one in .22 but the cylinder and barrel aren't pristine so picked up a .177 which is much better. However , the stock looks like it's been given the fence panel treatment ,it really is rough both to look at and to the touch . Swapping the stock over with the beech .22 isn't an issue unless I'm mistaken , but I'm unsure as to my next best option , have a go at refinishing the stock and turn it into a keeper or sell the .22 in the nasty stock . In my dreams I've turned the stock into a Minnelli number but in reality I'm a bit of a chimp with fine work such as the chequering etc , the nasty stock is going to take some real sanding back , it's that bad I can't even tell what type of wood it's supposed to be . Time isn't important but I don't want to try polishing a turd Only to end up making it worse :rolleyes:
    Any advice appreciated as always .

2. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

Pictures would help.

3. Skinwiz

Skinwiz Busy Member

I've only got an iphone ken , I'm not sure if it will pick up enough detail but I will give it a try buddy :up:

4. larryking28

larryking28 Busy Member

You might be surprised when you strip the stock back how good the wood is underneath
    9 times out of 10 the worse of the marks are in the varnish and not in the wood itself.
    If you get some Nitromors you need to try and find this one

http://www.jpennyltd.co.uk/images/NitromorsGreen.jpg

Rather than the newer one which is this

http://www.wilko.com/content/ebiz/wilkinsonplus/invt/0289167/0289167_l.jpg

The newer one is less effective as one of the main active ingredients has been removed to make it a bit more friendly.
    The only place I have found the old style tin (with the door on it) was on ebay.
    It's easy to strip a stock and a tooth brush in the chequering works wonders,give it a go and you will learn something new.
    Just make sure you get the "old" Nitromors rather than the newer version.

5. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
  6. Skinwiz

Skinwiz Busy Member

Managed to get few pics that show what I'm possibly working with . Thankyou for replies so far I will have a read in a moment as I was busy taking pics lol

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  7. Skinwiz

Skinwiz Busy Member

8. stevieb

stevieb Active Member

I would definitely have a go at renovating the woodwork, after all you've nothing to lose except a bit of time & everything to gain in terms of what you will learn.

9. Skinwiz

Skinwiz Busy Member

Just had a read of the link above . That's an impressive thread indeed , the only thing that concerns me is that the stock in the link , whilst being excellent etc , is a nice plain stock without any detailing . I'm not knocking the work etc in the link I think its top I'm just concerned about chugging up all the detail work or sanding it out of existence lol .
    Having said all that I'm tempted to give it a go ................................

10. larryking28

larryking28 Busy Member

If you strip the varnish off first you can see what you are dealing with.
    I wouldnt worry about sanding out detail too much as if you are careful you can use some very fine sand paper near the chequering.
    Just dont attack it with sandpaper.
    I have used very fine wire wool that works quite well.

11. radiofan

radiofan Engaging Member

Looks like it is host to some mold/fungi! I think it will restore quite well, but it is a fair bit of effort. You will need:

Nitromors for stripping
    Fungicide to kill the green stuff
    Possibly a wood bleach like oxalic acid to remove stains
    Sand papers of various grit to smooth things out
    Wood stain, probably walnut in colour, to replace what was bleached out
    Finishing oil/varnish
    1 hour per day for a week+ of effort

The end result can be better than the original; you reap what you sow. But it will never be a GinB or Minelli.

12. radiofan

radiofan Engaging Member

For the chequering, a toothbrush works wonders with the Nitromors. Careful with the spray though.
    After washing off and drying, some #00 steel wool just to smooth it off a bit.

13. Skinwiz

Skinwiz Busy Member

I've decided I'm going to give it a bash . After all the positive comments you've persuaded me I might just pull it off guys :up:
    I like the idea of walnut as I'm just finishing hand oiling my tx200 walnut stock at the minute . If anyone has any suggestions of which stain and oil to use I would be grateful , I'm just using walnut oil for the tx but I'm guessing it may be different stuff that gets used on stained stocks ?

Thanks for for all the helpful comments and offers of help from everyone , you really are a decent bunch ;)

14. davymole

davymole Donator

Northop Hall, Mold, Flintshire North Wales
    its well worth refinishing there are some good products on the market to help strip the varnish with little or no damage to the wood use sand paper as little as possible and use 0000 grade wirewool down the grain always looks like a nice project.I have turned a couple of rifles around where the stocks looked only fit to start the fire,just go slow and gentle and when it comes to the stain dilute it and start to build up your ideal colour practice on a old off cut of wood birchwood casy walnut stain is waterbased then truoil and wax but over a period of days be patient its worth it . good luck

15. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

this stock looks to be badly sanded down and stained by the previous keeper and left in a wet garage after

to refinish it you would have to strip it down with nitromors and give it a good sanding before to apply any oil coating

it's not a problem if u know how to use your own hands :)

the other way is to have one of 400/410/510 stocks from bay (usually they going around 80-130 pounds) and sell this one as project stock for another 30+

will not recommend to advertise your .22 with crappy stock on as u can lose up to 100 from sale price

p.s. looking on your stock i would recommend to give your "new" .177 a good cleaning and lubing for all inlets, u can change all seals as well.

16. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Nitromors two or three times until it looks like this [​IMG]

Only use an old toothbrush in the chequering and wire wool.

Then when its dryed out start adding coats of CCl conditioner then wet and dry it inbetween and build up a coat until it looks how you want, simples :)[​IMG]

17. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Just don't sand the detailed parts with anything rough

18. Skinwiz

Skinwiz Busy Member

One is off to ones local hardware retailer to purchase a bottle of their finest stripper and some wire wool and few grades of sandpaper :)

19. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Careful with wire wool,some of the steel gets into the grain,once the finish is applied it can begin to rust and go orange...

20. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

after dry sanding, the stock have to be washed with water to get off all residue and dust, and dried after, and gently sanded again with 000.
    all wires left from wirewool will give up when washed.