1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Raw Feeding Dogs

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by mulletman6, Nov 6, 2018.

1. mulletman6

mulletman6 Big Poster

Does anyone on here raw feed their dogs and would you recommend it?

My Staffie is nearly a year old and seems to have quite a sensitive tummy. I recently switched him from James Wellbeloved to Natures menu, but that seemed to be giving him a dodgy tummy. Yesterday I got some more Wellbeloved with the intention of moving him back onto that as his belly seemed better when on it, but he doesn’t seem keen on it any more.

The pet shop where I get his food suggested a raw food diet which I’d considered before, but it’s quite an expensive option, but obviously I’ll go that route if it’s better for him.

Pete2 likes this.
  2. madpastie

madpastie Donator

i cant answer your question on raw feeding, but just a change of food can upset a dogs stomach until it gets used to it

3. mulletman6

mulletman6 Big Poster

Yeah, I gradually changed it over, but when I started to increase the amount of food his tummy got bad again.

4. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

Green Tripe and no serial. the very best. Must be green the smellier the better. Back in the Day when we had an abbatoir at Newquay i used to buy whole cows stomachs cut them into day sized chunks and chuck one each to my german shepherds at about 6.0pm. My collie is Gluten Free she has a very sensitive tummy. I,d love to get her on Green Tripe but i dont know where to get it from. I feed her on the biggest tin of Butchers Tripe (Gluten Free) they make and she is fine but i would love to get hold of Green Tripe. Dried Food is convenient but Crap.

5. Rob-ontarget

Rob-ontarget Donator

I feed my dog raw and have since she was a pup.. No issues and an added bonus is the poop is small, dry and easy to clean up!!
    https://www.nutriment.co.uk/product-category/dog-range/

Raw Benefits in Depth
    Feeding your cat or dog a raw diet, benefits are quickly seen, here are some of the most common benefits in depth…

Cleaner Teeth
    We have all seen dogs and cats with plaque and bad breath but we may not have associated this with their diet of kibble and/or canned food. People generally believe that because their pets have to chew their kibble, they are cleaning their teeth at the same time. This approximates to us feeding our children hard biscuits and looking for the benefits!!

It is a fact that around 80% of domesticated cats and dogs suffer from periodontal disease requiring veterinary intervention at an early age. Recreational bones will give your dog an enjoyable time, but provide no benefits to removing plaque. Your dog should be eating raw meaty bones that he has to chew through, thus scraping the plaque from the teeth and providing a gum massage which increases circulation.

Nutriment’s adult range contains finely ground bone (apart from the beef and Just Tripe) and this acts like a scourer in removing any built up plaque.

Any dog or cat that exhibits the signs of periodontal disease, i.e., commonly known as ‘dog breath’ is in danger of this causing systemic problems in the body due to the constant presence of bacteria in their system. You will be truly amazed at the difference in your pet’s oral health after trying Nutriment for a few weeks.

Better Digestion
    Unlike humans, dogs and cats have a very short digestive system which deals with their food intake quickly and effectively, greatly reducing the threat of bacteria. Thus, when we feed the heavily processed meat, grains and fillers, the dog’s digestive system is not built to deal with this. They do not have the digestive enzyme amylase which is required to digest grains. The pancreas is then put under a huge strain, working overtime to break down the foods the body is not designed to deal with.

Because dry food absorbs the moisture from the gut this can lead to diarrhoea and long term bowel problems. Chronic dehydration from years of eating a dry diet can contribute to crystals and kidney disease. By feeding a species appropriate diet of raw meat, bones and organs, the digestive system works with the food they are designed to eat and does not become worn out by years of over-exertion.

Less Poop
    Because raw meat, bones and pureed vegetables are digested more completely than cooked grains and meat, this means less waste. The stools will be smaller, fewer and harder as well as being chalky in texture. When left out in the sun for a few days, they will generally turn to dust.

Pets that are fed a commercially made kibble diet, will have extremely offensive smelling faeces.

Your Pet’s Coat
    The difference in your pet’s coat will show within two weeks on a raw diet. It will become softer, shinier and very silky. Animals will often detox through their skin, culminating in a greasy, smelly coat. On a raw diet, this noxious smell will disappear.

Allergies
    It is a sad fact that in recent years, more and more pets are showing signs of skin allergies. The grains, fillers, dyes and preservatives in a commercial dry diet can culminate in this type of allergy. Pets may also become allergic to different types of proteins as well. However, it is possible that they may be allergic to a cooked meat, but not in the raw form.

Many pets suffer with severe itching all their lives and will then be treated by their vet with antibiotics and steroids, when a cure may be as simple as switching to a biologically appropriate diet.

Arthritis and Bone Disease
    Arthritis and bone disease can be caused by genetics, but in the main, are largely due to an inappropriate diet, high in carbohydrates and low in essential fatty acids. It has been found that diets high in essential fatty acids and omega fatty acids, decrease the inflammation and ease the pet’s suffering. Raw diets are full of these nutritional benefits.

Bone disease begins with puppies and kittens. When puppies are grown too fast, they will begin to experience structural problems. Many kibble diets are often too high in calories and certain minerals which can cause rapid growth spurts and uneven growth. This can potentially lead to joint disease such as hip and elbow dysplasia. Your dogs fed a raw biologically appropriate diet tend to grow more slowly and steadily without the growth spurs and uneven bone growth.

Bones
    By giving your pet raw meaty bones to chew, you are providing great exercise for the jaw, neck, forearms and shoulders. It will keep your pet’s teeth clean and white with no plaque build-up and the exercise the dog receives will be very relaxing and is a great stress reliever.

Visiting your Vet
    This is probably the most notable benefit. Preventative medicine is a common phrase these days, nutrition being the cornerstone to health and vitality for every species.

6. TargetVermin

TargetVermin Engaging Member

Always fed mine on raw meat and bones. Cheapest places are asking at butches for all the old scraps they don’t want, mine just asks me to chuck a little donation in a charity box on the till. and obviously if you hunt with your gun, you can hunt to feed the dog.

7. Pete236

Pete236 Big Poster

Our Spaniels are raw fed, always have been, and have pretty much cast iron digestion.

Their favourite is raw chicken, bones and all - not dangerous when raw. It takes them a whirl to crunch up the bones enough to eat the meat, which seems to help with food anxiety as they aren't bothered or worried about food at all.
    Their turds disappear very quickly - they wash away in wet weather and turn to dust in a few hours in the sun. Breath is seldom smelly, teeth are always pretty good and very few farts!

8. mulletman6

mulletman6 Big Poster

Thank you all

Given me some proper food for thought this has.

I’ll do some more research into it, get some prices etc and go from there :)

9. Sky

Sky Top Poster

Mine is raw fed too. He has beef, chicken, turkey, rabbit, pigeon and any other meat that comes to hand apart from pork - I add bonemeal to the meat too.

I give him James Wellbeloved kibbles as treats and throw a handful a handful in with his meat once or twice a week.

10. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

I’ve been feeding raw for 20+ years, I would recommend it to all carnivore owners!!

It can be as a cheap as you want it to be, and is cheaper that mid to premium dog food.

What I feed,

Whole chicken
    Whole rabbit
    Green tripe (rocket fuel)
    Pork ribs,
    Lamb breast
    Ox heart
    Lamb heart
    Liver
    Kidney
    And anything else I can get my hands on.

I feed about 2-3% of the dogs body weight per day, sometimes feeding a large meal then missing the next. Dogs don’t feed by the clock like we do.

They will get the occasional upset stomach regardless of what they are feed, so keep a tin of pumpkin (not the pie filling stuff) handy. A couple of table spoons clears it up.

:)

http://www.ukrmb.co.uk/

http://rawfed.com/myths/

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  11. mulletman6

mulletman6 Big Poster

The stuff I was looking at is the Nature’s Menu raw nuggets.

Being vegetarian, handling/processing raw meat isn’t something I want to do, so would rather buy it readily done.

I guess that will be a more expensive option tho given his size (about 23.5kg) and the quantity they recommend he has vs the size of the bags that they do.

12. Sky

Sky Top Poster

That will be an expensive way to do it. You can always wear gloves whilst handling the meat - surely it can't be worse for you than picking up his poo?

13. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

It’s better than kibble, but still removes one of the key reasons of raw feeding,

To crunch, tear, and rip. Slowing the eating process down lets the stomach prepare for a meal which almost illuminates digestive problems.

And keeps those teeth pearly white:)

mulletman6 likes this.
  14. mulletman6

mulletman6 Big Poster

It’s nearly £4 for 1kg of it :eek:

Clearing up poop doesn’t bother me - handling animals remains does.

Overlooking that part, would going to Tesco and buying frozen raw chicken, thawing it out and feeding him that be alright?

15. sidney

sidney Keyboard Hero

I looked into raw feeding ours, but it's waaaaay too expensive. Wembley the Beagle doesn't like it anyway, he's unusually picky with his food. Stanley, on the other hand, crunches on any old roadkill when we're out walking. Evie will eat raw chicken and bacon, but turns her nose up at pigeon.

16. Sky

Sky Top Poster

I find it cheaper than a quality dog food. I suppose mine costs about £20.00 - £25.00 a month; I think that's pretty cheap considering I spend about eight times that amount on my own food.

sidney likes this.
  17. Baldalot

Baldalot Posting Addict

Rather like us, dogs benefit from a variety in their diet. I'm sure a chicken would be fine now and then, but dogs fed on chicken, but little in the way of red meat, will eventually suffer from poor health. The reason? Bad nutrition - the chicken doesn't have the same 'clout' that red meat does for our/their systems. I've been anaemic in the past and told to eat more red meat, which solved the problem.
    A good rule of thumb is to imagine what a dog would eat if it were running wild, in a pack. They'd get anything and everything from fresh killed to scavenging.

If you have any AGF members who hunt within shouting distance, maybe they might be able to donate the odd rabbit (jointed, maybe?) to save you the task.

Good luck with your quest to help your dog's digestive issues.

Pete236 and mulletman6 like this.
  18. mulletman6

mulletman6 Big Poster

@Baldalot Thank you - I didn’t mean only giving him chicken - it was just an example. The only things I won’t feed him is pig or turkey.

I was recommended a company called Bella and Duke, but looking into the costs, they seems rather sky high given his age and size - they say 805g per day

D2687B25-5AA5-41E9-94FC-06241CB2E396.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  19. Sky

Sky Top Poster

Those are crazy prizes. I always tell people my dog eats better than I do - he eats good food that is natural for him.

The content of that stuff would be questionable anyway. At least by doing it myself I know he's not being given some scooped up road kill (not that it would hurt him).

20. mulletman6

mulletman6 Big Poster

I did cringe when I saw those prices - Natures Menu would work out nearly £30 a week :eek:

Similar price to him having their wet food which comes out between £80-£100 per month.

This is what I was told on a raw feeding page on Facebook in regards to doing it myself..

92626CC0-DF81-4E30-A441-2B2C21EDEC5B.jpeg