1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Rats.......Tough little......

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Fog, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Buggers . Even with a head shot with a .22 they can keep going.

Its hard enough to get that head shot at range but when the vermin keeps going you wonder if its worth it.
    That goes for the tree rat too.

2. Chael

Chael Engaging Member

Yea, I know what you mean. I 've seen people hit them hard on the nut with a .25 but they keep on goin'.

3. ne jones

ne jones Newbie

Tipton, where the railway crossings stay down 48 m
    With everything I shoot I aim for a clean, quick kill, but with rats that just doesnt always seem possible.
    The only time i have stopped a rat dead in its tracks was using a .22 HW '97 and it was only 3 yards away from me, I hit it straight between the eyes and it did'nt budge after the Bisley magnum hit it:) :)

4. Colin

Colin Guest

no kidding!:violent1:

5. thedeester

thedeester Newbie

nigth vision scopes do the trick 99% of rats are head shot and you can watch them for as long as u like with no chance of spooking them so u take the shot when u want also use hollow or flat pellets my fav are match pell in my experiance a head shot rat is a dead rat every time

6. salty

salty Newbie

i used to hit them with RWS super H points in my theoben taunus to kill rats at around 25 - 30yds with great effect.

quite shocked at how they can 'fly' some 2 or 3 metres away when shot, as if they are made of rubber!

7. lloyd868@btinternet.com

lloyd868@btinternet.com Newbie

As a new member and have purchased a night vision sight for RATS; i would like to know the best bait to use so the little blighters would stand still for a few seconds. Any aspect6s about rat shooting would be welcomed TA.

8. thedeester

thedeester Newbie

no need for bate with night vision stay up wind if possible and don`t make to much noise and they will not have a clue you are there

9. VERMINHUNTER

VERMINHUNTER Member

and a good hollow or flat pellet should do the job... flaming things,, hard as nails

10. lloyd868@btinternet.com

The pellets i am using are R.W.S HOLLOW IN .22, Aand u are quite right they do jump when a hollow point hits them.
    The

11. lloyd868@btinternet.com

I hadent finished This farm is ths dirtiest farm ever .The barns where the cattle are housed has good bedding ad the rats are running all over them.we,
    have shot over the ton and we am going tomorrow night

12. liedownsnap

liedownsnap Newbie

To a certain extent, it depends on what they are used to.
    If you are shooting out in the fields, sugar beet, maize and cereal is good.
    Peanut butter, chocolate, tinned cat food, dry dog meal work too.
    They may need a day or two to get used to something new.
    If there's one thing you can say about them, it's that they don't always behave as you'd expect them to, but once they are feeding with confidence you'll be ok.
    Cheers.

13. custom100

custom100 Well-Known Member

rat busters

i have a farm or two on which i shoot rats night vision is not a must but it does help( alot) as for pellets flat heads i have found to obe very effective head shot every time stops them dead
    hope my opinion helps rob

14. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

I have to admit I'm using RWS SHP's in .177 with my falcon and not having any issues at all. one head shot and not even a twitch, they just drop..

15. Daimler42

Daimler42 Member

I shot an adult rat the other night (it was a fair size) - it took 5 .22 Bisley Mags from no more than 20 yards to stop it - tough begger that one.