1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Rat Problem!!

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Hamish2505, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Hamish2505

Hamish2505 Member

Hi,

I am new to the forum so please accept my apologies if this is wrongly posted.

We have just under an acre and we keep chickens, geese etc but we have a rat problem. I have bagged quite a few by baiting with cat food but now they are getting wise to it.

I cant and wouldn't use poison(too inhumane)but we have dogs, cats and small children!!

I bait up were they tend to run and a few have come out either just before or just after dark. They now seem to have disappeared and only come out when I am tucked up in bed.

Any ideas to bring them out either during the day or at twilight again??

Also, I have a red beam torch with a pressure switch which is fine for rabbits as they do not recognise the red light, however when it is shined at rats they 'do a runner' I was under the impression that 'red light' did not appear in their spectrum and so would not be spooked by it.

Aside from buying a night scope, my missus would have my balls for supper, I dont know what else to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

get some people in with the terriers and a smoker

3. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

You are right about the red light. Rats dont see red anywhere near as well as they see other colours. However, they are very sinsitive to brightness (light/dark). This is where the sudden flash of a light will spook them. Try and leave the red light on instead of flashing it on and off. If you can get mains power to where you are shooting it might be an idea to put an old lamp out with a red spot bulb. Leave the light on and feed them for a few nights. They will soon become very accustomed to it!

4. simon180399

simon180399 Post Whore

as a rule you will only get them in the daytime if you have a big problem as they are nocturnal, but there are exceptions to every rule.

change your timings and dont walk the same route everytime as they are far from stupid, they soon wise up.

place a few red filtered lights around shining on the rat holes, i use the cheap tesco and aldi ones with a red filter made from old 3d glasses, use different bait peanut butter, choc spread and sweetcorn minced with cat food is a good one, bait around in a few areas, it may take a few days but once they are used to it they wont get spooked, you could also illuminate different areas by using solar lights, again it will take them some time to get used to them but once they are you will be able to see them.

the last method is build your self a night vision camera all the details are in this thread.
    hope that helps im sure a few more will chirp in with a bit more info.
    cheers simon
    http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/night-vision-optics/122037-diy-night-vision-masses.html

5. Jambo1uk

Jambo1uk Well-Known Member

I saw someone post on here about catfood but leave it in the tin and pierce it so they can't get away with it and have to stay around to get at it if that helps at all

6. Hamish2505

Hamish2505 Member

Cheers everyone.

Cant use terriers and a smoker I am afraid, no point. They live underneath the chicken run which is an old well and sewer system which I am afraid I cant get to.

I shall try the tip about solar light though. We have a few dotted round the garden with some spares so if I colour the bulbs red and then bait their run for a few days I should bring them out a bit more.

They do have a few places they go and I am going to try a different place for bait as we have a treehouse opposite the chicken run so I might try baiting in the run for a few days then give that a try.

Oh and yes, we did have one outside the kitchen in our little courtyard at about 6 pm the other day. Cocky b**tard was eating the dropped bird seed. It wont do that again!!!

I dont have an all singing all dancing rifle just an SMK xs19 with a 6x40 scope but it is brilliant for what I use it for and it takes out rabbits at 30yds. I digress though, I grabbed Sally, as I call her, raced up to the bedroom and put a Falcon Accuracy Plus straight into its head.

So, I do have a bit of a problem if they are coming out in the daytime.

I do, however, live in a rural area and keep poultry so I have to live with it!!

Thanks again to everyone. I shall keep you informed of the kills!!

7. Donki Oaty

Donki Oaty Post Whore

Whenever I don't want them to run away with bait I smear peanut butter down or nail a pepperami down and leave it for a couple of nights before replacing and shooting over it.

8. DBD81

DBD81 Well-Known Member

The rats already have free offering in the form of chicken food.. Keep them used to there natural habitat and you shouldn't go wrong.. I'm sure some one closer to you would be willing to help you out.. If i was'nt 89miles from you i'd certainly offer a free visit to look at the problem, you could have even set up your gun with spare Night Vision i have!!.. I'm not saying this is what your after,, I'm just kind like that lol..

Unfortunately this sounds like a few permissions i've gained and the rat problem is not as big as they thought! How ever, i could only hit them at Night,, All 11 of them..

I wish you all the best in clearing the rats..

Rick

9. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

the smoker would deal with that, put enough smoke down a hole, and trust me, the rats will come out in daytime

10. hobson

hobson Engaging Member

We were getting quite a few rats in our chicken pen, even getting droppings in the feeders so we started putting the feeders away in a metal bin when we lock the chooks up at night, it does seem to have cut down on them a lot, if there's a free easy meal about especially through the night, it's almost impossible to get rid of them, so try to keep any potential food locked up through the night and make sure they've nothing easy to eat.

11. simon180399

simon180399 Post Whore

One point to note regarding reducing the numbers around your hens is change your feed,and feeder, i was using layers mash for months but as you are aware chickens are messy sods at the best of times, they would scratch the mash looking for the corn,and scatter it across the run floor, of course these small bits were overlooked by the hens but were a welcome meal for a Hungary rat, i bought a feeder that was anti scratch there are plastic spikes going all the way round the bottom where the feed goes, like a bike wheel, this stops them scratching and kicking the feed all over the floor.

the next thing i did was change to layers pellets this has cut right down on the amount of food that gets wasted on the floor, also the bonus was my egg count almost doubled after a week.

my feeders have always been put away at night because if i didn't id have every rat in the town feasting on my birds food.

hth
    simon

12. simon180399

simon180399 Post Whore

hi with regard to the solar lights, don't bother colouring the bulbs, just put them in the places you need lighting up and wait, like i said you may well have to wait a few days but they will get used to it and it wont bother them at all, i angle my led filtered torch lights by gaffa taping them to short bamboo canes and angling them over the baited area and the rat holes, when they emerge they see the light then scurry back in and within a few minutes they are back out sniffing around the baited area, ive used this method for months and it works, when i flick the red filtered logun on they dont get spooked because there's already a red light on them.

as the other poster said you have a food source that they trust and are not spooked by so heres another trick, if you use mash pour a bit of water on a concrete block, piece of wood etc, then pour on some mash it will stick to the object and ratty will have to stay there for a few seconds to get a mouthful.

the second thing ive tried is to smear honey, syrup or choc spread on a hard object and stick a few pellets onto it this has the same effect as the above method, the point im trying to make is you need that rat to be out in the open for the time it takes you to perform that shot safely, also once you have shot one, leave it there dont go to retrieve it until you are finished for the night otherwise they will be spooked and you wont see them for a while.

thats a great point you make regarding being in a rural area, you will always get rats in the country side as there's always going to be some kind of food source.

being that they are living in a sewer id imagine there will be a fair few in there so at least you will have a busy hobby for a while.

hth
    simon

13. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

Yea those damned Hungarian rats.......:D

14. simon180399

simon180399 Post Whore

you are wasted on here barce :D

15. Hamish2505

Hamish2505 Member

Cheers everyone.

Thanks for the offer of the night vision Rick. I wish you did live closer as I think this is what will solve my problem. I have broached the subject of getting a night vision scope with my wife but as we have a baby on the way it is out of the question I am afraid. I know that they run from £250 upwards on ebay and I cant justify it!!!

I do lock up my chicken food at night but its bits that are out etc. I am pretty lucky that they are quite a way from the house apart from the one that was unlucky enough to come into the little courtyard one evening!!

I have hit 4 so far this year, which to say I dont really sit and wait for them is not too bad. I bait up and take my gun with me when ever I check the chickens or put them away at night. It would be good if I could get one or two a night though.

I have a little plan in mind that involves solar lights and some apple and catfood.

Will keep you all informed. Thanks for all the info, its great to know that so many people are so helpful.

I forgot to mention that itsnot sewers as I said, its a sceptic tank I am on and they are in there and around the old well.

Thanks as well Simon, I do use layer pellets and try to put the food away at night but the chickens are free range with quite a large area they scrat up.

As you said, I am going to have a nice hobby while the missus grows ever bigger!!

16. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

make your own, mine cost £52.50, it'll do slendid on rats
    http://youtu.be/pMwgZx5eTVA

17. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Hi matey are you in Brosley near Telford?

If so I may be able to assist with NV and a rifle ;)

18. nobbybonez

nobbybonez Busy Member

do all you can to reduce the amount of food available to them.

if you want them out earlier, leave small amounts of bait, so they have to race each other for it. early rat gets the peanut butter and all that...
    diy night vision is the way forward for rats, its not too expensive and you don't need a lot of expensive ir illumination for rat ranges either... play disease card with the mrs ;)

septic tank and well in the same place :O

19. Hamish2505

Hamish2505 Member

I certainly am in Broseley and the use of NV would be very welcome, thanks

20. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Well if you want I can pop around sometime with my S410 and NV and we can go do some rat bashing ;)

It wont be for a few weeks though as I am in the process of moving house so rather busy.
    I am only in Telford though so not far away :)