1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Raptpr killings - another one bites the dust.

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by Egg, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Egg

Egg Major Poster

2. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

If i stated my true feelings towards these perpetrators As I Will Not refer to them as People ! i could be banned and probably face legal action . I been unfortunate enough to have to deal with what could be loosely be termed as farmers . I have a very different name for them if i was not being diplomatic the letters F , W , would be used . Lets face it there killing eagles so some rich ;+-pl<<< can shoot at grouse for a few weekends and raise a few more lambs , Oh lets not forget all the grants for losses to raptors . I know lets just kn kill anything that doesnt fit our business plan . Not like we should all appreciate that our time as individuals on this earth is short so should be enjoyed and valued and used to enhance our world for the next custodians . I made a similar point about 14 years ago to some nob in a pub in a town called Anan who was bragging about killing raptors !! I had just been wild fowling . Grumps burnt powder back then . Rather uncharacteristic for me in those days but i kept my temper and walked away . To this day wish id smacked the the pratt when he pushed Me . Boils Grumpy p**s :mad:

3. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

What Grumps said, with bells on............

4. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Totally agree, it's disgusting !!!!

Humans eh! if it's in the way, kill it

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  5. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

they are shitbags,but, we as pest controllers do the same to flourishing populations of crows, pigeons, rabbits etc to protect land, vegetation lambs etc for farmers.

only difference is that they are on gl and acceptable quarry, i dont agree with the killing of raptors in any way,shape or form but reading back i feel a bit hypocritical. my only saving grace is i eat what i shoot, or the ferrets get the crows and ferrals.

i have been fortunate to see both of britains largest raptors fly wild and what a sight to behold. so it does sicken me to see the hard work in reintroducing and protecting these awesome creatures being undone for others financial greed and or maybe sick enjoyment, but thats the hypocritical part for me.

6. Egg

Egg Major Poster

I don't think we - as airgunners with ethics you might as well say - can be tarred with the same brush as these muppets kale el, so we can sleep with a clear conscience bro. The guys that do this - there's just something wrong about the way they conduct themselves in the name of sport, there's no valid justification for it :(

7. crazymadfish

crazymadfish Well-Known Member

I think its a disgrace to genuine shooters even sub 12 airgunners like some of us here and to be honest gives us a bad name and press too i couldnt say exactly what i would like to because i know its a family friendly forum all i can and will say is that i hope by this we can teach the younger generation here about respect and propper use of these guns today and not just killing for sport or the fun of it

8. warrenater

warrenater Donator

I will keep my views to myself then . Just suffice to say i am not saying whats right or wrong just that i have seen first hand creachers die under the claws of a sparrow hawk it can take a long time to die when being ripped apart alive beak full by beakfull, and i dont want to witness it again. I would not want to be a lamb or small dog at the mercy of a sea eagle.
    Rant over.atb gary.

9. neiled

neiled Donator

Sorry but I'm confused at your so called "views" Gary as I'm sure you can't be condoning this,can you........surely not?

As I see it it's called NATURE, birds or prey are only doing what comes naturally to them, they've not evolved as mankind have. We as humans and hunters have evolved far greater than the animal kingdom and therefore we have a duty of care towards them on 3 accounts:

1. Our own conscience in what we do and how we conduct ourselves as both human beings and hunters
    2. Consideration to the law of the land
    3. Others feeling (as much as we disagree with them)

Point 1 is more a personal thing but point 2 IS THE LAW and we must abide by it or face the consequences whilst point 3 is always going to be strained to say the least but this mindless slaughter (if proven) has way over stepped the mark.

10. warrenater

warrenater Donator

Sorry for the confusion nieled , i would not condone their slaughter or do it myself . That said i dont like the things ! Just a personal opinion and not one i think should be acted on. Thanks gary.

11. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

I saw a white tailed eagle last year and there a beautiful bird,i love bop and there only doing what nature intended them to do.

If you count up all the lambs against all the larger raptors who cares if i few get taken wether its a quick affair or not its nature,plain and simple.

These birds are not going to destroy the meat industry and lets face it they will never be culled again,and rightfully so

The one i saw was captive bread and it was amazing to see up close,there was red kites also,both breeds in a reintroducing programme as there is just not many about as before.

From the other side of the fence i get there trying to run a business but in that there has to be some realism and acceptance of how nature works,and after all if there trying to make a living from nature they can not play . to control it.

The culprits get what they deserve and i think its another poor showing of mankind.

Sad to say but us humans are the worst living things on this planet,bar us in the agf may a say

Gaz

12. Beater

Beater Engaging Member

I was surprised to see the photos of several police vehicles at the estate, investigating this incident, until I read the cost of reintroducing this species...nearly half a million pounds! Wow, that's a heck of a lot of money and does, for me, raise some questions.

The bird is beautiful and killing it is terrible but I'm not sure we should be spending that sort of money given the level of human poverty both in this country and abroad. Facts are it exists somewhere else and has gone or been eradicated from this area. Just as man tinkered with nature originally, we are trying to turn back the clock without considering why the bird was eradicated from this area originally - it appears the reasons still exist, i.e. the estate managers don't want it there for commercial reasons.

I hope they find those responsible and they are punished but before pouring cash into projects like this again, they must establish the suitability of the area and ensure the community are behind them.

13. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

The estate managers might not want it there for "commercial reasons" but the birds should not have been eradicated from the area in the first place, (I suppose for commercial reasons as well?) Turning back the clock as you put it, just seems like a bit of recompense to me, and what has the community got to do with it? The birds were there a long time before them, and as far as I am concerned, they have first dibs. Still I recognise that this may well be a very touchy subject for some, and indeed I think Egg was pretty brave to bring it up on here, seeing as how there are an awful lot of folk on here that seem to consider wild life as fair game.

I personally don't want to shoot any living creature for sport, I think that shooting one or two for the pot is acceptable, after all, it is natures way I suppose, animals kill to eat and so do we. However killing these magnificent white tailed eagles, or any other protected species is so far out of order as to be beneath contempt. I don't want to start a war here, I have to weigh what I get out of this forum against my personal feeling about hunting in general. So with that in mind, I have to take the view that although I don't like hunting for sport, and I wish folk wouldn't do it, I have to live and let live.

Oh just one more thing, I don't include pest control in my above statement, I feel that it has to be done, I don't like it either, but I know it's necessary, though I don't want to do it myself.:) I do have a bit of an issue with what some folk consider pests, but that is another debate.

Have a great day all.

14. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

NO ONE!!!! Can condone the disgusting act of killing of ANY raptor! These big estates in Scotland have the blood of countless birds of prey on their hands and it really is time that they are brought to book. They are a law unto themselves. Name them shame them and then lock the bast#*ds up.

15. Egg

Egg Major Poster

The money spent came mostly from the RSPB (charitable for the most part) with the rest made up by SNH (source: my mate's SNH's area officer for Fife) so the money was pre-allocated and no children were harmed by its being spent. In any even the revenue generated by having a large, rare bird of prey resident in the area far outstrips the money invested to reintroduce it.

The community backing for the reintroduction was - and still is - pretty overwhelming, but as you say it's the unscrupulous, unethical and unrepresentative estate managers, their employees and perhaps certain farmers that are "managing" the land while wearing blinkers when it comes to biodiversity. Why should a small group of people with a vested financial interest have the right to remove - again - a large fauna species from the ecosystem? These birds were part of the ecosystem for millennia but were only relatively recently removed from it. If we have the means to reintroduce them then we have a duty to do so, it's not as if we're trying to resurrect extinct species or dinosaurs through DNA manipulation.

16. warrenater

warrenater Donator

So what about wolves and bears that were once indiginous . Not arguing just discussing.

17. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Some people want them reintroduced but it's not going to happen in any big way and certainly not without a large amount of control. Being honest - it's pie in the sky to think about the reintroduction of large ground predators after centuries of their absence from the ecosystem: the land is too intensely managed to be able to safely sustain a thriving, genetically diverse population coupled with the public safety aspect.

Large birds of prey are understandably more difficult to manage (in terms of their territorial range) due to their ability to fly; bear in mind the red kite was all but extinct in the UK (with the exception of Wales where it managed to hang on by a thread) from the late 18th century but with a concentrated effort it's been brought back from the brink. The white tailed eagle was only wiped out from the UK in the early part of the 20th century so it's not as though they've been missing from the picture for the same length of time as wolves & bears.

18. warrenater

warrenater Donator

Damned good answer Egg ! Well said mate atb gary.

19. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

/
    thats where it all goes wrong, there is and its money. money money money and the greed that surrounds it, its an estate so the people at the top probably arent shy of a bob or 2, and wont care as long as they arent as profitable as it can be.

so the estate management cull the protected aerial predator to increase income for the estate.

either this or someone is just sick in the head,get a kick out of it and the top level new nothing of it.

either way it is dead wrong.

i read a statement today that said "if all the insects and creepy crawlies were wiped out the earth collapse in 50 years and be uninhabitable, but if humans died out the earth would flourish"
    i cant say how true this would be, but as humans what gives us the right to determine what overpoulation in a rabbit warren is?

i better stop incase i turn into an anti and start huggin trees and drinking soya milk. jaysus i need a steak

20. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

It's certainly true that if every human being disappeared from the planet tomorrow, the earth would carry on very nicely thank you, I believe it's because we are top of the food chain, and as such have nothing useful to contribute to the earths eco system. Most other creatures of the planet live inside an interdependent system, where each provides food or services to others. so nature creates her own balance. We as a species have done nothing other than exploit everything possible.

We are just the latest lodgers on this planet, and as such we should treat it a lot better than we do, and if anybody calls me a tree hugger, I will take it as the very best compliment they could make.:)