1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

rabbits with myxomatosis

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by dom, Aug 23, 2007.

1. dom

dom Well-Known Member

hi i live in lincoln and every rabbit i have shot over the past few weeks has had myxi i was just wondering if it was just around here or is any where else got this problem.

2. claretcass

claretcass Member

I shoot over 2 farms in lancashire (near Burnley/Fence) and have mixy on both. Put a few out of their misery over the past 3 weeks but not seeing any at all now. It will be a few weeks before they emerge

3. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Myxi

Hi Dom, Myxi has popped up again and is quite severe this time.It never really goes away down here.
    We also have the viral haemorage disease in small pockets.
    The dogs keep bringing back all manner of minging carcases,just when I'm sat down in the grass for lunch.Bleurgh!

4. Cornish Kev

Cornish Kev Active Member

We have not seen any on our shoots yet this year. Last year one of ours was wiped out virtually.

5. chiz

chiz Engaging Member

what are the tell-tale signs of myxomatosis? I wasn't even aware of it!!

i don't handle rabbits bare-handed, never have done, but is it transferable to humans?

6. David

David Engaging Member

Hi chiz

Ive seen old mixi in Somerset near Cheddar poor thing was blind and walking in the middle of a busy road. I dont think myxomatosis is anything to worry about in terms of humans but dont rely on that, even been told you can still eat an infected bunny but the thought of doing so would be a big put off

Disclaimer
    anyone who reads this will surly be feeling ill by now.... dont blame me i was informed by a mate of mine who was informed by someone who wishes to remain anomonus;)

7. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hi, Someone told me that myxi rabbits taste very sweet:eek:.
    I'm not going to find that out for myself!!
    Myxi isn't contractable by humans.

8. chiz

chiz Engaging Member

okay, thanks for that Dave and Potshot.

i'm still gonna stick to using gloves when handling rabbits until i know more about this.

9. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Chiz, just type "myxomatosis" into google and there's more information than you can shake a stick at. Hit the "Images" search button and there are hundreds of pictures too.....be aware, it's not a pretty sight though.
    I still think you're wise using gloves though, you never know just what's in the fur..or in the feathers of the quarry for that matter.

10. chiz

chiz Engaging Member

ok, will do. thanks for that Buzz......

i've had a look on google, i haven't noticed any of those symptoms in the rabbits at my usual sites.

i was a bit concerned as this thread was the first time i'd ever even heard of myxomatosis!!

11. andy s410c

andy s410c Active Member

MYXOMATOSIS

Handling rabbits with myxy does,nt have any health problems to humans as far as im aware never affected me apart from me right toes are on my left foot & my left toes are on my right foot :crazy: the oldest joke in the world :banplease......

12. claretcass

claretcass Member

Potshot mentioned a viral disease. Just before the mixi came in I noticed when claening some of the rabbits that they had white spots on their liver. Is this as aresult of the viral disease or is it something completely different?

Thanks for any info from anyone

13. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

I haven't seen any with myxi as of yet. i sure i will when i next go to my shoot, haven't been for some time now. i don't want to over shoot it.

14. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hi Claretcass, As far as I know VHD is only endemic around S.Devon in small pockets
    It shows up elsewhere in pet rabbits.
    If you open a VHD rabbit you'll know it immediately, they basically melt from the inside out.
    The virus clots the rabbits blood.There are few external symptoms.
    It's one of the nastiest ways to go,ever!
    The spots on the liver of the rabbit you saw is probbably a parasitic attack of some kind. I have seen similar spots myself. Are there lots of sheep where you shot it, and/or open "fresh" water?
    I was probbably safe to eat provided you cooked it through properly.
    Cheers.PS

15. claretcass

claretcass Member

Thanks for the information Potshot.

I did not eat the rabbits with the white spots I fed the ferrets with them.

Regards

16. Rimotu66

Rimotu66 Member

The gas terminal where I work has its own resident population of rabbits (cant shoot them as the office workers think its cruel , its ok for the poor sods to suffer with myxi but i'm a cruel b****d for wanting to shoot them) Since the heavy rain we had last month the population has gone from about 30+ rabbits to 10+ and most have myxi, The ones i see i put out of there misery (insight of the office staff if i can) the last one was seen to with a quick smack with a 1"1/4 combo spanner.

We also have a major problem with feral pigeons as well but again i'm not allowed to shoot them as its 'cruel' but its ok for me to work on the plant covered in crap !!!

17. AA Anonymous

AA Anonymous Well-Known Member

Yep i know that i can't do it because it's cruel feeling my sister stopped me from shooting a rabbit with myxi once so she moved it off the track in case it got run down by a passing tractor and left it in a ditch blind and to die slowly the next weekend she was out with her toffy nosed friends fox hunting and she called me cruel cheeky b**ch.