1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

rabbits and fleas

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Thomas241, May 10, 2012.

1. Thomas241

Thomas241 Donator

Hey guys, just wondered how you all dealt with fleas after bagging your bunnies,all tips are helpfull, cheers:)

Nutter.

2. Dead eye kai

Dead eye kai Busy Member

I hock mine then hang them to a fence/tree for on the way back. As the rabbits start to cool down the fleas bugger off knowing said rabbit is no longer in the land of the living.

3. ANGOF

ANGOF Post Whore

Yeah i do the same but plenty of the damn things refuse to leave. Mrs Gofs car is alive with them, hence im not allowed to borrow the car for shooting any more :rolleyes:

4. Ronnieman

Ronnieman Engaging Member

I leave mine in a bin liner over night! Air tight if possible then gut them in the morning, but usually some still about so just skin nice and quick and discard pelts straight away!

5. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Gut and skin right away, fella.

6. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

:confused::eek::eek::eek: Paunch them as soon as shot, within minutes, to promote faster cooling and prevent any possibility of tainting the meat.

Fleas will stay on even a cold pelt waiting for another host to come along for a couple of days. They seem a bit groggy by then. If you get a rabbit infested by fleas it is better to skin it in the field while it is warm. The ears tend to be where fleas collect in any number. If I see fleas on or around the ears it gets skinned there and then. While the rabbit is warm the fleas will stay put, some will creep onto you while you skin it, but only a couple. Just knock them off.

7. simon180399

simon180399 Post Whore

this may be worth a thought, if you need to leave them for any length of time why not carry one of those flea killing aerosols like the one made by bob martin or johnsons,they are meant for spraying the bedding etc of your dog cat etc .

when sprayed direct onto the fur the fleas die instantly, you are not supposed to spray direct onto the animal but seem as though its croaked anyway it dosent matter.

id rather spend 3 or 4 quid on a tin of that than risk having the little bastewards in me car.

8. Thomas241

Thomas241 Donator

great tips guys, do all rabbits have fleas or can you get some that are clean?

9. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Depends on the time of year, the actual warren and the density of the population. The quick answer to your question is, not all rabbits have fleas. There are some areas where the rabbits are clean, usually, from my experience, where ferreters HAVE NOT BEEN. Not enough ferreters de-flea their ferrets after going out.