1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

R10 problem I have 24 hours to choose fix r10 or swap for hw100 at local rfd

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by bigjohn, Dec 5, 2016.

1. bigjohn

bigjohn Engaging Member

Just bought a new r10 but is going back to the shop tomorrow it's grouping is terrible so will have to choose where to send to bsa to be looked at or swap for a hw100 what would you do please I'm not to clued up on the hw100 spent most time looking at the r10 so in a real sticky situation thanks

2. Robs321

Robs321 Donator

I thought long and hard about what to buy between those two guns. My heart wanted the R10 my head said go with the HW100. I eventually went with my head.
    My friend has the R10 and after we swapped rifles for a while, he said the HW was nicer to shoot in every way and I also think he's right!

3. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

I wish i got a hw100 over my R10-SE.

4. bigjohn

bigjohn Engaging Member

2 already I think it's going to be a landslide for the hw

5. critter

critter Donator

Another HW vote

6. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

I had a mark 1 R10 when I decided to re enter the air gun world after 20 years. Apart from build quality it was as good as the Rapid 7 I owned.

But if if it's a bit dodgy from new get rid as it may just be a pile of trouble and you may always be disappointed

Andrew

7. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I had both but one had to go. The r10 won on looks and shot count but the HW won on everything else that mattered, I kept the HW and never regretted it.

8. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

That's the crux of it for me; if that one's a lemon it could give you grief for years and cost you a packet.

9. Oat

Oat Very Active

Get rid of it.
    I assume 24 hours is your own deadline. It isnt one that BSA or RFD can bully you in to.

10. lilvfr400boy

lilvfr400boy Posting Addict

im a post hw r10 owner tho ive now had several r10s, in my view id swap to the hw as im with a few others if you get a lemon it will more then likely always give you problems.

i wouldnt part with ny r10 for a hw but mine is and has been exceptional for me.

personally i prefer the r10 in all ways besides trigger. i disliked having to crick my wrist to cock the hw and also hated the sometimes fiddly mag latch which in the dark absoltely did my head in. also didnt like the position of the fill guage on the hw.

the thing is despite all this you will always find it easier if you change your mind to swap a hw for and r10 but not an r10 for a hw. thats the main reason i say swap it for the hw.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  11. metalman

metalman Big Poster

Can you not exchange for another R10? There must have been a reason for you to choose the R10 to start with. I have both guns in question but prefer bolt action over sidelever, and what with the shot count, the R10 gets the most use

12. lilvfr400boy

true enough tho id be inclined to ask for a mk2 over the se but new if possible.

13. Bargeman

Bargeman Donator

WARNING Controversial Post Alert!

I Have an R10 Mk2-VC,I think it is great, bought it second hand, from local gunshot with a full BSA service, it really shoots great, and I can see it being in my collection for quite a while. In fact I am going to spend some money on it to improve what is already a very nice gun, but I am struggling to make up my mind whether to go XTX, or John Bowkett?

But my gun seems fine, so what would I do if I were in your position? Well having seen just how good the R10 is I think I would go with having BSA sort it out, and ask them to send you a test report back with targets showing that your gun is shooting fine, and state which pellets they used for test. The thing is, if you are not happy now, are you ever going to be happy with the results? have you not given up on the R10 already, maybe because of what you have read, or you have listened to your friends, who knows. But I think you have already decided.

Would I go for an HW100, well no, I wouldn't. I have never shot an HW100, and have no yearning to do so. I am sure it is a good gun, and shoots well, but it is in my mind very bland, grey porridge comes to mind, but lots of people like them, lots of people like porridge too. If I were in the market for a "New" rifle, I would probably go for an AA510, Air Arms always seem to have a better grade of wood, and I think looks are an important part of owning a nice gun, that is part of the reason I chose an R10. But I like buying good quality used guns, and if I hadn't bought the R10, I would have looked around for a nice Ripley, or maybe a Daystate.

Whatever you decide or have decided, I hope you are happy with your new choice.

K.

14. lilvfr400boy

you know xtx is the rite choice haha

15. bigjohn

bigjohn Engaging Member

No I'm going for a hw for the simple reason of this bsa should be on top of there game I've just spent 750 on something which should have never left the factory and it's that simple no excuse this is what they do I already had a issue the 1st night of getting it because I bought the ccs the shroud and silencer were screwed on that tight I had to use a pair of mole grips to remove them so from the start these things are not checked for me once is enough

16. ratharvester

ratharvester Donator

I had both and used them both for about 2 years, I liked them both but only one remains now the r10. They both performed great, I did put a huma regulator in the r10 after the original failed, the hw100kt never failed and was more reliable but looks and accuracy made me keep the r10. If you like the r10 swap for another, if that ain't no better then stuff it and go hw. Best of luck and enjoy what ever you get:up:

17. nice shooting tex

nice shooting tex Engaging Member

When i had problems with my r10 the rfd swopped it for a hw100s in 2.2 and i have not regreated it.
    good shot count for a good hunt
    pellet on pellet
    not heavy like some say
    not as good looking as the r10 but its grown on me

Get it swopped while you can

18. Jazzyboy

Jazzyboy Donator

Hi John, as mentioned above I think you have pretty much already decided and if you are that disillusioned with the R10 then the best thing you can do is swap.

If you don't and the replacement R10 fails to please then you are going to be properly P****d off.

I personally don't like the HW100 because I don't like the side lever loading and the looks of it, tho I have to admire the quality and reliability of them, I wouldn't swap my R10 for one.

19. lilvfr400boy

i had the kt myself and it was sublime too shoot and 10 pumps with the fx 3 stage and its full again for me it was perfect. as times gone on miss my hw with its beautifully balanced weight distribution and trigger which i feel is unmatched by anything else ive used.

also the bipod thing on the r10 does grind my gears a bit having the legs always touch the rosewood caps just isnt good.

20. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Get your money back and get a HW100! A far better rifle IMO..