1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question for you HW100 fan boys

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Geordie, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Geordie

Geordie Donator

What's the average shot count on the above rifle in carbine version please gents?

2. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

When I had mine, carbine .177 shot count was about 50 ish

3. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

My one is .177, and I fill to 195 bar. I get 55 good even shots at that setting. Cheers KB1

4. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 bell target champion

5. Geordie

Geordie Donator

Thanks chaps.

What about an A&M cylinder? How many extra shots with one of those?

6. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

Not to sure, but I could never carry 55 rabbits home, after a good nights shooting. How many more shots do you want. LOL. KB1

7. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 bell target champion

yup you do not want to carry more than 56 , if I go out a nice 4 rabbits will do , keeps your sport alive ;)

8. The Robin

With the A&M cylinder I had on my carbine .177 the shot count went up to just over a 100 which I was very happy with but the weight saving made it worth it alone

9. Geordie

Geordie Donator

I'd be happier at 70 shots pr charge.:up:
    The 1 shot 1 rabbit equation is by the by. I shoot corvids off pylons mostly and you can quickly go through shots hitting the bolts at 45 yards to determine if there is a breeze present, so I appreciate your thinking but an answer to my origanal question would be more helpful. I'm not a newbie to hunting chaps:p;)

10. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Surely any fill pressure would give good shots mate?

11. The Robin

Also I remember when I got my A&M is that every rifle is different, I've read different figures on the same spec rifle. Off the top of my head figures where 70 ish up to 100 ish on the carbine .177, I must of been lucky but I did end up with removing the AT and setting power to 11.6 with h&n barracuda heavies which it loved

12. Stokie99

Stokie99 Busy Member

177 I get 70 shots from a standard cylinder from 200bar fill before they drop off

13. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Still 54 shots for me with a standard cylinder or A&M.

But I have my power set at 11.5 with an 8.4 grn pellet, I guess if I dropped the power a bit I would probably winkle 70 ish out of it but its not the amount of shots that's the priority for me I would rather the gun pokey and as near the legal limit as I dare go.

It sure is a quality consistent 50 odd shots it puts out but I keep meaning to get a reg tester and find out what my regs set at.

Thing is whatever its set at is what it left the factory at so I don't like upsetting the rhythm for a few more shots as my power suddenly dropped recently, one foot pound so I rebuilt the gun, only to find everything inside fine, no obvious reason for it so I wond the reg up quarter of a turn clockwise and bingo it was back to 11.5 so Im still a bit baffled by it to be honest.

Its a balance between hammer strike and reg pressure with these which gives efficiency so Ill have another play another day.

Anyway some guns come out simply more efficient, build thousands of guns they will all perform slightly different, so its luck of the draw, one thing for sure they don't ever seen to suffer in the accuracy department.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  14. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

If you want the maximum shots per charge there are softer hammer and valve spring kits on the market, which may help.

15. Stoater

Stoater Active Member

My .22 HW100 KS, filled to 190 or so, gives about 60 good shots. Noticeably less accurate above 185 or below 100. The gun is 2 years old, the carbine sporter version ( not thumbhole). I have been told completely different things from different gunshops as to whether my (standard) gun's air power is regulated, which is unhelpful. At a guess, I believe it is unregulated, given the aforementioned inconsistencies at either end of it's recommended fill pressures.
    Can anyone give a definitive answer on this?
    Either way, it is a deadly tool for hunting

16. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Yes its regulated mate, but your gun should not act odd at the top end of the charge, it should be straight into the good stuff on the chrono and the target.

The regs design has changed a tiny bit over the evolution of the 100 and the older non quickfill may have an O ring in a different place, and the FAC reg will be slightly different.

But like I say out of thousands produced and quite a intricate gun internally there is bound to be differences in efficiency.

If its deadly accurate that's all the matters mate, if it aint broke and all that.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  17. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

It seems a softer hammer strike and higher reg pressure may suit some guns

Or

A harder hammer strike and lower reg pressure.

Personally I don't understand why when I wound my hammer in for more pre load and harder strike my guns power wouldn't change? only when the Reg was adjusted did I see changes on the chrono.

Next thing on the adjenda for me is an adjustable hammer and Im going to go fully in and fully out and measure the chrono results, this should tell me where the optimum will be and maybe I can drop the reg pressure a bit and visa versa to establish which way suits the Hw100 for the best efficiency/power ratio on my particular rifle.

18. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Very Active

Mine had a fettle and was set up at 11.3 with jsb's and i get 5 mags full mags + around half a mag before any change over the chronograph, over the full charge i get around a 5fps max spread. So around 75 shots on a standard cylinder. I think im going to get an A&M soon so will update in the changes that makes when i get round to running a full string off.

19. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

All HW100's are regulated and the regulator is very efficient (when set properly)

The .177 carbine as standard should give 4 magazines 56 shots, again provided that the reg and hammer are balanced properly.

The .22 carbine as standard should give 5 + magazines 70-75 shots, again provided that the reg and hammer are balanced properly.

I usually set the reg on a .177 at 95 BAR and adjust the hammer until the power reaches what's required, then test for consistency, very time consuming but worth the effort once completed.

With a .22 carbine i set the reg at 90 Bar as a starting point, and this seems about the right pressure in the ones i've set up.

My .177 is factory standard apart from the AT has been removed, i get 5 mags of perfectly regged shots from it and the power is 11.40ftlbs

My .22 is giving 6 mags and is set at 11.45ftlbs.

So, in answer to your question, the .177 should give 56 shots from standard and the .22 should give 70-75. I guess the .20 will be in between those figures ;)

20. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

When I first ran mine over the chrono it was showing 10.45. I did it again this year in May and It showed 11.49. Both times I was using Bisley magnums. As to selecting the fill pressure of 190, I just read an article once about never filling a 'pcp' to its max rated pressure. It advised to always drop short by around 10 bar. I don't recall what the reasoning was behind this, but I adopt the very same policy with my 'Daystate' also. I dare say it makes very little difference, its just something that I have stuck to.
    I cleaned the barrel for the first time, since original purchase some three years ago, so a trip over the chrono again will prove interesting. KB1