1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

pump or cylinder that is the question

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by 177man, Mar 27, 2014.

1. 177man

177man Engaging Member

Hi All
    I've just got myself an Airarms s510 .It's not my first pcp but the first in a long while.
    Rapid 7 and s410tdr years ago .Anyway the question is do i buy a pump or do i buy a
    divers bottle .I know there's pro's and cons for both but just wanted people thought's
    Thank's in advance SI

2. andyz1000

andyz1000 Banned

bottle every time for me
    but then i do have 6 pcp's to fill so a pump is out of the question
    plus i am too lazy too pump;):)

3. 177man

177man Engaging Member

Oh to have 6 pcp's my wife would go spare but thank's
    for the relpy Si

4. bl4de

bl4de Donator

2nd Andys comment, but I only got 4 :( and yes I heard he was lazy ! :D

5. SW-Novice

SW-Novice Engaging Member

Get a big 300 Bar bottle and save on trips back and fore to the shop for refills.
    I bought a 3 litre and if i take into account the cost of a refill (same price for 3 or 7 litres) and petrol plus hours lost
    then i could have bought a 12 litre bottle and saved money in a year.

6. Natgun

Natgun Well-Known Member

It's slightly more expensive initial outlay but using a tank to refill takes seconds where as a pump is going to take effort and time.

7. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

I went to John Forsey Gunshop in Welling, Kent and asked this. They offered me a pump to try, which I did and very quickly and sweatily and red facedly realised a dive bottle was the way to go.

James

8. Tassie

Tassie Newbie

Hi from Australia gents,

First post so go easy as I've got a different view.

I bought a 40ftlb daystate airwolf with a 500 cc tank a month ago and went with a hill pump for refills. I really don't see the big deal! I shoot it down to 170-180 bar most of the time and pump it back up to 230 in 10 minutes or so. It's really no big deal. I didn't do it to save money but I must admit I love not having to refill dive tanks and the hassle of driving to shops etc.

Tassie

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  9. Natgun

Natgun Well-Known Member

I guess it all depends how far you have to travel to get the refill.

For me, 10 minutes drive, £4 refill works out less than 5p per gun charge. I'd rather pay that than pump for several minutes.

10. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

I have both a bottle and a Hill pump, i admitt 9 times out of ten i use the bottle but its really no bother to fiil my 400 or 200 with a pump.

11. 177man

177man Engaging Member

Thanks for all the reply's fellas a bottle it is me thinks :) Si

12. Chinnymonster81

Chinnymonster81 Busy Member

Both because you know the bottle will run out when you need it most and you can't get to the dive shop.

13. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

The very reason i hang onto my pump ;):D

14. Andrew.

Andrew. Active Member

How many pumps would it take on average to reach 190bar if your PCP started at 100bar.? I never run any lower than this as a rule so would be very interested. If it's not too much like very hard work they I my invest in a pump.?

15. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

Out of interest (I don't own a PCP) does a stirrup pump lead to any condensation going into the rifle and if so does it affect the internals? I use breathing apparatus regularly in work and when filling the tanks the moisture is removed from the air which I would have imagined is a good thing where rifles are concerned. Maybe the stirrup pumps have a method of doing this I don't know?!?! My choice if and when I get a PCP would be bottle based on this.

16. SW-Novice

SW-Novice Engaging Member

You can get a filter kit for an additional £60 for the hills pump or the hatsan pump comes with one as standard

17. ratharvester

ratharvester Donator

Murphy's law says when the pigeons are flocking or the rabbits are overunning the permission your bottle will run out,I have a 12l 300 bar bottle and a hills pump. Now and again I use the pump just go the hell of it,it usually takes about 4 or 5 minutes from 100 bar in my r10.

18. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Pump before I was working, now a scuba Cus I have money :) just makes shooting more enjoyable to not have to dredd pumping your rifle up.

19. Trouserferret

Trouserferret Donator

If it's tube, I'd go for pump alone as the costs (and convenience) really show.

I'd love a diving cylinder, don't get me wrong. But I'll save that for when I'm on a bottle fed system. Once you get the knack of a pump, it's not too bad. After 100 bar, use your bodyweight to push down on it (I have plenty :D ). I can fill my rifle to 205 bar in around 5 minutes. Although not pleasant (don't wear thermals whilst trying it out), it's a really effective way to fill a small cylinder, but if you've the option for both without cost of running being an option, or have a big reservoir, I'd go for the tank. I had considered both, but the initial outlay, hydrostatic testing and the price of filling put me off.

S510 shouldn't be too far from the volume/pressure I'm looking at with my Prairie, and it's not that bad tbh. And it's free air!

Mibbe keep a pump handy if you do go for a cylinder though, as others have said. They will find a use at some point. Handy wee things.

Mick

20. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

It depends on how much you use your gun, if you're doing lots of target/plinking then go for a bottle. 3 litre is too small, 12 litre is BIG, 7 is about right for most people.
    For hunting a pump is fine, you'll only be topping up. My S200 runs from 160 bar down to 100 bar, I can fill it with a Hill pump in under 2 minutes without struggling or getting breathless despite being mid fifties and a fag addict for 40 years.
    (Now vaping and fagless for 6 weeks!)
    I've never got through 40 shots hunting and target shooting is more fun with the Prosport anyway.
    The only other consideration I have is the potential danger of a big bottle in the back of the car, I know the thing should be safe but knowing my luck it's a potential bomb!