1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Ptfe Tape

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Phil Peacock, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Phil Peacock

Phil Peacock Member

Any comments on the wisdom or not of using this as a thread seal for 200bar compressed air on a pcp air rifle block, specifically in my case rapid 7 block on last few threads before O ring bottle holder into block and exhaust valve to block blanking plug.

think I know the response but hey it would be useful to hear a few opinions as am sure this must have crossed a few minds in the past.

Phil P 20200116_162320.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Redcap 114 likes this.
  2. Strathrpc

Strathrpc Posting Addict

Strathpeffer, Highlands, god's own Country
    It should only be used on tapered threads.

Radlad, John Entwistle and Lev Levvin like this.
  3. StellaArtois Sr

StellaArtois Sr Springer Whore

I was going to put it on my air cylinders, and people suggested that I don't use it on them or anywhere near a rifle.
    Whether it degrades and bits can break up get lodge in gun parts I don't know for sure, but that it what I suspect is the
    reasoning behind it. The other thing is, if it was good to use I think the manufactures would use it.
    I am sure there will be a proper explanation coming this way very soon.
    Ade :thumb:

Phil Peacock likes this.
  4. pjgtech

pjgtech Keep Back...!! 2 Metres min...!!

My understanding is that fittings for high pressure air should not have any such tape used, as the fittings are designed to be used metal to metal as it were. Introducing tapes that are not designed for HPA is probably not a good idea.

StellaArtois Sr likes this.
  5. Boysey

Boysey Busy Member

It’s an absolute “No, No”.

Do not use PTFE on any gun threads. It’s not the thread that retains the seal...... it’s the “O ring” that makes the seal.

You have been warned in the nicest possible way!

2506sendero and BallisticBill like this.
  6. Sutty

Sutty Engaging Member

Ok for tapered threads as stated. Parallel threads should have other sealing mechanisms eg o-rings.

Radlad likes this.
  7. Widow

Widow Engaging Member

Ptfe

Plumbers Tape Fixes Everthing.

TORNADOS7, foxtrott and 2506sendero like this.
  8. Boysey

Boysey Busy Member

Sorry, but I think your talking about plumbing. No guns that I know of have tapered threads.

I reiterate.... it’s the O-Ring that makes the seal.

PTFE IS OF NO USE AT ALL!!

BallisticBill likes this.
  9. Sutty

Sutty Engaging Member

Some fittings for filling whips, compressor accessories etc might use taper threads especially if for American market.

10. Widow

Widow Engaging Member

I was bieng silly... But it does fix most things... I've used it to stop a cut bleeding, and hold up my trousers when my belt snapped

Don't use it on air rifles though!

Gat Man, TR158 and Boysey like this.
  11. Boysey

Boysey Busy Member

Agree, some whip fittings yes. (But not all)

I was trying to deter anybody from ruining their rifle/ pistol as the original post was suggesting as this looked like a gun part to me!

But what do I know, I’ve only been repairing guns for the past 50 years!

Apologies if you’ve taking offence.

12. Phil Peacock

Phil Peacock Member

Peter, As I suspected, I have taken what you say on board and on reflection it was an ill considered question , thankyou for your response.
    Phil P

Boysey likes this.
  13. Brooksy

Brooksy Posting Addict

PTFE tape will bunch up and impinge on the O ring, this will deform the O ring and it won't do its job. An O ring works best if it's left to float, therefore filling any gaps.

14. squib

squib Posting Addict

Under no circumstances use PTFE high pressure air.
    Masking tape is much better :thumb:

Lev Levvin and 2506sendero like this.
  15. Boysey

Boysey Busy Member

Thank you for your response.

As I’ve said previously, it really is a “No, No”.

Trying to recover from a PTFE Taped thread seal is Bloody nightmare as it gets into parts of the action that causes a real headache.

PCP Guns of course but I’ve had springers that have had seals done with this stuff!

16. Sutty

Sutty Engaging Member

Not in the slightest - we're all on the same team!

Gat Man and Boysey like this.
  17. Phil Peacock

Phil Peacock Member

That's me told in no uncertain terms :thumb:
    It really is appreciated .

18. Boysey

Boysey Busy Member

Never told in uncertain terms

It’s to protect the members of this fabulous forum from utter disaster! and not to mention a probable very expensive repair bill.

Happy shooting!

Phil Peacock and Sutty like this.
  19. Strathrpc

Strathrpc Posting Addict

Strathpeffer, Highlands, god's own Country
    On a side note. It should also never be used on hydraulic systems!

BallisticBill likes this.
  20. Boysey

Boysey Busy Member

Probably for similar reasons.

PTFE gets into bits you really didn’t want it to ! (under high pressure)